Table of Contents
zero code suppression
- Line coding scheme used for transmission clocking. Zero line suppression substitutes a 1 in the 7th bit of a string of 8 consecutive zeros. See also ones density.
- Zone Information Protocol. AppleTalk session layer protocol that maps network numbers to zone names. ZIP is used by NBP to determine which networks contain nodes that belong to a zone. See also ZIP storm and zone.
- Broadcast storm that occurs when a router running AppleTalk propagates a route for which it currently has no corresponding zone name. The route is then forwarded by downstream routers, and a ZIP storm ensues. See also ZIP.
- 1. collection of all terminals, gateways, and multipoint control units (MCUs) managed by a single gatekeeper. A zone includes at least one terminal, and can include gateways or MCUs. A zone has only one gatekeeper. A zone can be independent of LAN topology and can be comprised of multiple LAN segments connected using routers or other devices.
- 2. In AppleTalk, a logical group of network devices. See also ZIP.
Zone Information Protocol
- See ZIP.
zone multicast address
- Data-link-dependent multicast address at which a node receives the NBP broadcasts directed to its zone. See also NBNS.
Posted: Tue Sep 21 15:30:01 PDT 1999
Copyright 1989-1999©Cisco Systems Inc.