Populate and View Reports
Note We do not begin to measure viewership for a video until someone watches it in Cisco Show and Share.
Before You Begin
- This software uses scalable vector graphics in its charting. For browser requirements, see Release Notes for Cisco Digital Media System 5.3.x on Cisco.com.
- Log in to Cisco Show and Share as an administrator.
Step 1 Choose Administration from the global navigation, and then click Reports.
The first four subtabs load reports that you can refine and filter. The fifth tab helps you to administer the reports database that Cisco Show and Share Reports uses.
Step 2 Click the tab of the report type that you want to run, and then select the sub report on that tab. See About Cisco Show and Share Reports, for information about the reports available on each tab.
Step 3 (Optional) To restrict the report to a specific date range, do one of the following. Most reports default to the previous week.
to choose either date from a calendar. Then, click
Go to refresh the report.
- Enter the start date and end date manually or click
- Choose an option from the Select a Time Span list. The report is refreshed automatically.
Step 4 (Optional) Filter by videos or users.
Some reports offer additional filtering capabilities. If so, those filters appear below the Select Date Range filter. See the following for information about using those filters.
- Select a Viewer/Select an Author
The Select a Viewer or Select an Author filter allows you to filter the videos in a report by who viewed or authored the video. To use this filter, simply start to type a user name or ID into the field. The system attempts to match the ID or name to existing names in the system. Select the name you want and then click Go.
The Select a Video filter allows you to generate the report for a specific video. By default, the reports are generated for all videos. To use this filter, click a video from the list and then click Go. You can sort the list by date the video was publishe or by title. You can filter the list by typing a word in the Select a Video field. The list filters to those videos that contain that word in the title.
Many videos contain both a graph and and a table representation of the data. In many cases, you can mouse over a graph point to see an exact count of one measured unit or another.
Step 5 (Optional) Use the “Export to Excel” link to save data to a local file.
Maintain the Reports Database
We recommend that you check the integrity and stability from time to time of your reports database.
Tip If your site has a lot of activity, you should perform this check every 60 days. If your site has very little activity, years might pass before there is any need to perform this check.
Step 1 Choose Administration from the global navigation, and then click Reports > Administration.
Step 2 Verify that the Current Database Status indicator shows that the status is Green.
The status should be Green.
When it is any other color than Green, you must trim older records from the database. Otherwise, when you allow the database to keep growing, Cisco Show and Share Reports becomes progressively slower. In addition, the processes that add new records to your database might not operate quickly enough to record all Cisco Show and Share activity during periods of heavy use.
Step 3 Click Archive Prior Months as soon as possible when you see that the status is not Green.
Step 4 Respond to the confirmation prompt, and then click OK.
Warning Do not close your browser or navigate to any other page until the operation is finished. It might take as long as 10 minutes.
New activity on your Cisco Show and Share site might occur while we are generating an archive. In this case, new rows and records are appended to the live database
but we exclude them from the new archive. The archive’s scope was predetermined when you clicked the Archive Prior Months link.
- The generated archive contains your entire database, in exactly its state at the moment when you clicked the Archive Prior Months link.
- We export the database archive as an ordinary text file so that you can import it elsewhere, and then we compress it.
- After the archive is generated, we trim some records from the database to reduce its size. The records that we delete are older than the date that you specified when you clicked the Archive Prior Months link. For example, this link would delete all records that predate January 2010: