Product Bulletin for Supermicro CDE250 BIOS Upgrade to Version 2.1a
Cisco Recommendation and Instruction
Instruction on BIOS 2.1a Upgrade
Preparing a bootable USB stick to be used for the BIOS upgrade
Copy the CDE BIOS Update Files to the USB DOS Stick
Update System BIOS Using the USB Stick
For more information
Current CDE250 systems have been identified as potentially being vulnerable to the Intel Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities.
Meltdown and Spectre exploit critical vulnerabilities in modern processors. These hardware vulnerabilities allow programs to steal data which is currently processed on the computer. While programs are typically not permitted to read data from other programs, a malicious program can exploit Meltdown and Spectre to get hold of secrets stored in the memory of other running programs. This might include your passwords stored in a password manager or browser, your personal photos, emails, instant messages, and even business-critical documents.
· Upgrade BIOS to version 2.1a for seamless operation if you are using CDE250 devices.
· Execute the BIOS upgrade to download VQE BIOS 2.1a Patch from CCO.
· PC running Windows operating system
· USB stick (512MB or larger)
· Keyboard and monitor or direct I/O access, such as KVM
You should create a free-DOS USB boot stick by performing the following:
1. Insert a blank USB memory stick into your Windows based PC.
2. Download and save the rufus USB boot device creator from http://rufus.akeo.ie.
3. Start rufus by opening the rufus_vx.x.x.exe file.
4. Insert a USB stick to be formatted with FreeDOS.
Figure1: Screenshot of Rufus utility
5. Choose FreeDOS option from the Boot selection drop-down list to create bootable disk.
6. Enter CDEIMSUP in the Volume label field.
7. Choose FAT32 option from the File system drop-down list.
8. Check the Quick Format checkbox.
9. Click Start for the boot stick format to proceed.
The CDE BIOS update files are available in the VQE_CDEIMSUP.zip downloaded from the CCO.
1. Unzip VQE_CDEIMSUP.zip to a temporary folder. For example, CDEIMSUP.
2. Copy the contents of the CDEIMSUP folder to the USB DOS stick.
3. Remove the USB DOS stick, and insert into any of the available USB ports on the rear end of the CDE system to be updated.
4. Connect a monitor and keyboard or KVM to the system to be updated.
1. Boot the CDE250 system using USB DOS stick.
2. All CDE systems are pre-configured at the factory to first boot to external USB devices, followed by the internal compact flash. If the system does not automatically boot to the USB DOS stick, verify the boot device priority in the BIOS or press <F11> or <DELETE> key during the system POST process.
3. After CDE system boots into a DOS prompt, initiate the IPMI BIOS upgrade by executing the CDEIMSUP.bat DOS batch file. For example, C:\> CDEIMSUP.bat
The following information is displayed:
CDE250, CDE460, CDE465 BIOS Update for the Intel Meltdown/Spectre fixes
4. Select the option that matches the platform to be updated.
a. Update CDE250 BIOS Version to 2.1a
b. Update CDE460 BIOS Version to 2.1a
c. Update CDE465 BIOS Version to 3.1
A message is displayed corresponding to the platform that is being updated. For example, “Update CDE250 BIOS Version to 2.1a”.
The entire BIOS upgrade will approximately take 10 minutes to complete. You should wait for a positive acknowledge from the utility prior to CDE system reboot. For example, “BIOS update to 2.1a has completed”.
Please DO NOT power-cycle and/or interrupt the BIOS upgrade process. Doing so may result in the system being placed into a non-recoverable state.
5. Enter A and press Enter for the upgrade to proceed when the following warning message is displayed.
6. After the BIOS upgrade is completed, ensure to first remove the USB DOS stick and then power-cycle the system.
Once the device is booted up and application is loaded, you should login and execute the below commands to verify the device status.
· ~]# cat /etc/cisco-release
Displays the current running VQE application software version.
· ~]# dmidecode -s bios-version
For example, Version: CDE250_2.1
· ~]# vqe_platform
For example, CDE250
Please contact Cisco TAC team.