This chapter lists various troubleshooting options available when using the UCS-SCU application.
UCS-SCU Issues and Solutions
- The OS installation process is interrupted and the server is rebooted.
Determine the value set for the Watchdog Timer. The Watchdog Timer is a new feature in the BIOS of the C-series servers. If this feature is enabled and the value is set for a time duration that is less than the time needed to install the OS, then the OS installation process is interrupted. This Watchdog Timer feature automatically reboots or powers off the server after the specified time duration. Before you begin the OS installation process, disable the Watchdog Timer feature.
No USB Disk on Key detected
- UCS-SCU displays the following message even after mapping the virtual USB or connecting the physical USB:
– For USB devices mapped through vmedia, try selecting the USB reset from the vmedia GUI (virtual media session -> details -> USB reset)
– For a physical USB device, check the vendor and product information or try a different device.
- After installing Windows OS, the KVM mouse does not work and Windows Device Manager displays a yellow bang for the USB human interface device.
Check the version of CMC. Ensure that you have the latest version of CMC installed on your server.
Selected disk has MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.
- Windows installation fails and the following message is displayed:
The EFI CD ROM device for the virtual drive was used to boot the Windows 2008 image. Use the CD ROM device from BIOS CD ROM order.
- After installing the Windows operating system through UCS-SCU, Windows Device Manager displays some devices with a yellow bang.
– The device may not be in the Cisco support matrix.
– You may not have selected some device drivers in the SCU GUI.
- Windows setup fails with BSOD 0x7B (inaccessible boot device).
You may not have selected the device driver for boot controller in SCU GUI.
- CMC change does not reflect in UCS-SCU immediately.
Changes made to virtual disks using CMC may not be immediately viewable in the SCU user interface, if the server is booted with SCU. Reboot the server to synchronize with CMC.
- During the Power On Self-Test (POST), both LSI embedded MegaRAID and LSI 2008 controller are detected but only the LSI 2008 controller is viewed in the UCS-SCU.
Both LSI embedded MegaRAID and LSI 2008 are not supported together in the UCS-SCU. If you have both, then only LSI 2008 gets detected. Remove the controller for the LSI embedded MegaRAID to get detected.
- SCU inventory is impacted
Check to see if the server has a USB drive with GPT partition plugged-in. If so, either remove the USB drive and reboot to SCU or use/re-format the USB stick with non-GPT partition.
- QPI link, PDisk, and network link components fail, while running the quick test, test suite and comprehensive tests on the C220 M4 and C240 M4 servers.
– To resolve PDisk failure, disable JBOD. When JBOD option is enabled, PDisk cannot create a virtual drives on the HDDs to run the HDD tests.
– To resolve network interface link failure, check if the network cables are connected to the network port. If they are connected, ignore the error message.