The Access Network workflow in Cisco Prime Infrastructure automates the access switch deployment in routed access networks in enterprise branch or campus networks. This includes building and managing access VLAN database, interface template management, and access ports configuration. The Access Network workflow provides complete automation for deploying access networks using Cisco catalyst 4500, 3850, 3650, 2960XR and 2960X series switches. In addition, it also automates the static or dynamic provisioning of access ports based on automatic device detection. The workflow reduces the deployment efforts and time by automatically deploying the applicable Cisco best practice configurations and provides a centralized view of the network for management purpose.
The Access Network workflow automates the following tasks:
- Simultaneous multiple access switch configuration—Allows the administrator to provision multiple access switches simultaneously, thus reducing the network provisioning efforts. Allows automatic access switch detection from a seed device, thus minimizing the efforts to detect all the access switches connected to a distribution switch.
- VLAN Management—Allows Cisco Prime Infrastructure to create and maintain a database of access and voice VLANs used in the access layer. This database is used to configure access switches, ensuring uniformity in VLAN names and avoiding VLAN nomenclature/id mismatch errors.
- Provisioning Access
Ports—Creates and applies templates and VLANs to automatically provision access
- accepting Cisco devices that can be detected dynamically, such as Cisco IP phones, Cisco access points, Cisco video surveillance camera, Cisco TelePresence, and Cisco digital media player.
- detecting non-Cisco devices that can be detected dynamically based on OUI or MAC address.
- supporting devices such as laptops that cannot be detected dynamically.
- Deploys applicable Cisco Best Practice configurations, automatically.