Refer to the Release Notes for Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director 6.2 for the latest information about hardware and software requirements, changes, important notes, and caveats for your software release.
Be sure that the following requirements are met before you upgrade your server:
■You have the network information required to configure the Ethernet connection on the Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director server, such as:
–IP address (IPv4 only) and network mask
Note: The Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director server should be configured with a static IP address or a non-expiring DHCP lease.
–Default gateway address
–DNS server address
■The Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director server is connected to the network and has power.
■Power on the server and verify the boot order in the BIOS (by pressing F2 while booting) prior to installation.
■To access the Cisco Integrated Management Controller (CIMC) for the software installation, the following requirements are met:
–Your computer meets the minimum browser and Flash player requirements for Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director, and also has Java 1.6 or later installed.
–You have a laptop connection with access to the Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director network.
–You have the IP address of the CIMC interface on the Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director server.
–You have the CIMC interface login credential. The default credential is admin and password.
Virtualized Server Environment
Installing Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director in a virtualized server environment includes setting up your server environment, running the full ISO for Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director, and configuring the network. For more information see Hardware Prerequisites and Installing on a Virtual Server for the First Time in Getting Started Installing or Upgrading Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director.
Mandatory: Migrate Data from Release 6.1 to Release 6.2
Note: The installation (full ISO) image of 6.2 is not posted on cisco.com. To obtain the Release 6.2 installation image, please send an email to email@example.com and include your cisco.com userID and the site being upgraded.
For existing customers with data, this installation is a migration of data from older DSD versions to the newest release. Unless you follow these steps, your previous data will be lost when installing Release 6.2. This is a different procedure from an automated incremental upgrade. Release 6.2 contains a new operating system which forces a completely new installation and data migration.
IMPORTANT: Release 6.2 will support a full ISO installation ONLY. There is no upgrade to this release.
Cisco Vision Director is installed within a virtual machine (VM) environment. With our 6.2 release, the VM environment will be used to migrate your data from Release 6.1. Release 6.2 includes a new operating system which requires complete installation. This means you create and configure a second instance of Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director to be a secondary, with a complete backup of the primary Cisco Vision Director software.
■The recommended procedure involves using a primary and secondary server redundancy configuration.
■Release 6.1 will backup the configuration to the Release 6.2 system using the regular primary/secondary backup copy mechanism.
■Setup the new Release 6.2 system as the secondary server, if not already present.
■Ensure the new primary Cisco Vision Director is performing as expected.
■Migrate the secondary Cisco Vision Director to Release 6.2.
To preserve your data from a single or primary server running Release 6.1 SPn to a new or secondary server containing a fresh ISO installation of Release 6.2. The following prerequisite conditions apply:
■Two virtual machines matching Cisco Vision Director requirements, the second VM will have Release 6.2
■Both machines have the ability to reach each other over the network
■One of the machines is an established Cisco Vision Director server running Release 6.1 SPn
■You have a 6.2 FULL ISO file (see the first note on how to obtain)
Figure 1 shows the installation flow. This procedure assumes the following:
■Release 6.1 Primary, Secondary (P1, S1) VM Server
■Release 6.2 Primary, Secondary (P2, S2) VM Server
Figure 1 Release 6.2 installation Using Two Virtual Machines
IMPORTANT : Before you begin, generate and download any proof of play reports.
Note: Configure NTP and Timezone after the full installation completes. See Release 6.2: Cisco Vision Dynamic Signage Director Administration Guide. Reboot Dynamic Signage Director.
To generate Proof of Play reports :
1. Login to Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.1.
2. Go to: Tools > Control Panel > Setup > Proof of Play.
Perform a Full Install of Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.2
3. Configure it with the same memory profile as Release 6.1 (standard or small configuration).
Enable Remote Access on Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.2
4. Login to the DSD TUI. Go to: Main Menu > System Accounts > Change installer password (Figure 2).
Figure 2 Change Installer Password in TUI
5. Choose a password and save it. Note this password safely, as Cisco TAC personnel cannot retrieve it.
6. From System Accounts menu, choose e) Enable/Disable Backup user. Follow screen prompts and set up the backup user key from the primary system to use it.
7. From System Accounts menu, choose b) Enable/Disable privileged accounts via remote access (ssh) (Figure 3).
Figure 3 Enable/Disable Privileged Accounts Over Remote (SSH)
Note: After completing the data migration, return here and disable remote access for added security.
Set Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.2 as Secondary Server
For simplicity, stop the services in Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.2.
8. Go to the TUI Main Menu. Choose c) Services Control > i) Dynamic Signage Director Services > a) All ().
Figure 4 Stop Service on Dynamic Signage Director
9. Choose c) Stop Service.
Configure the Backup Server on Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.1
10. Use the Cisco Vision Director TUI to log in to DSD Release 6.1 as installer.
11. Go to Main Menu > Cisco Vision Server Administration > Setup automatic backup and restore.
12. Enter the inactive DSD server, enter the IP address of DSD Release 6.2 server (Figure 5).
Figure 5 Enter IP Address of DSD Release 6.2
You will be prompted for the installer password of the backup server.
13. Enter the installer password for DSD Release 6.2 that you set up in step 5 ().
Figure 6 Enter Installer Password for Backup Server
This takes a few minutes. Wait for the setup process to complete.
Generate a Backup on DSD Release 6.1
14. Log in to DSD Release 6.1 as an administrator user.
15. Go to Tools > Management Dashboard > Tool drawer > Advanced tab > Run a Task.
16. In the right panel Parameters field, click Backup Task (Figure 7).
17. Click Apply. The backup may take some time to complete. Click Apply only once.
Figure 7 Run Backup Task
Note : Backup task may take a while to finish, particularly if there is a lot of content.
Restore and Migrate the DSD Release 6.1 Backup Server on DSD Release 6.2 Server
18. Login to Cisco Vision Director TUI.
19. Type d for Cisco Vision Server Administration.
20. Type o for Restore and Migrate Release 6.1 Backup (Figure 8).
Figure 8 Restore and Migrate Release 6.1 Backup
Note: Once migration starts, DO NOT press any keys on your keyboard until migration is done.
Note: The restore operation can only be performed once.
IMPORTANT : If the only option you see is 0, the backup may not be complete.
21. If the backup and transfer to DSD Release 6.2 completes, you will see an option 1. Select 1) option (Figure 9).
Figure 9 Option 1: Restore Backup
22. Press Y to start the data restore and migration (Figure 10).
Figure 10 Start Restore and Backup Data from Release 6.1 and Migrate to Release 6.1 Process
23. Wait until process completes. You will see a screen similar to Figure 11.
Figure 11 Restore and Backup Complete
24. Reboot DSD server for changes to save.
Shut Down DSD Release 6.1 Server
25. Go to DSD Release 6.1 TUI Main Menu > d) Cisco Vision Server Administration.
26. Select m) Power Off.
Prepare to Setup DSD Release 6.2 as the Primary Server
27. Go to Cisco Vision Director TUI Main Menu > a) System Settings > a) Network Settings.
28. Select a) Setup Network Information.
29. Change the IP address of DSD Release 6.2 to the IP address of DSD Release 6.1.
30. Select d) Generate certificate file.
Note: Since you previously set DSD Release 6.2 as secondary/inactive in Set Dynamic Signage Director Release 6.2 as Secondary Server, promote DSD Release 6.2 to the primary/active server.
31. Go to Main Menu > d) Cisco Vision Server Administration > j) Failover > a) Promote as Primary/Active ( Figure 12).
Figure 12 Promote DSD Release 6.2 Server to Primary
32. Navigate up to Main Menu > d) Cisco Vision Server Administration > l) Reboot.
33. Perform all system verifications.
Setup the DSD Release 6.2 Secondary Server
Note : Skip this step if your deployment does not have a secondary server.
34. Perform a full installation of DSD Release 6.2 on a new VM. Use the same IP address as the DSD Release 6.1 secondary server. See “Changing the IP Address on the Secondary Server” in Cisco Vision Administration Guide, Release 6.2.
35. Use the TUI to configure the DSD Release 6.2 server as the secondary server. See “Starting and Configuring the Services on the Secondary Server” in Cisco Vision Administration Guide, Release 6.2.
36. Use the TUI on the Release 6.2 primary server to configure automatic backup and restore to point to DSD Release 6.2 secondary server. See “Setting up the Primary Server for Automatic Backup and Restore” in Cisco Vision Administration Guide, Release 6.2.
Access DSD Release 6.2 Server from Browser
37. Clear your browser cache.
38. Enter the IP address of DSD Release 6.2 on your browser address bar.
39. Press Return (Enter).