Cisco Network Architecture for the Digital Era
Digital Transformation Is Here
Innovate or Dissipate
Organizations that master digital transformation are 26% more profitable.1
45 CountriesTaxi > E-hailing (Uber, Lyft)
SubscribersCD > Download, Streaming
in Transactions in 2014Transactional > Actionable Insights
of Digital Ad Revenue WorldwidePrint > Digital
Technology Is Strategic to CEOs
When asked, “How strategically important are these technologies?” CEOs responded:2
65%Internet of Things (IoT)
To transform, businesses use IT to DISRUPT.
To disrupt, IT relies on the network as the platform to INNOVATE.
To innovate, the network needs a next-generation architecture to DIGITIZE.
- 1. Leading Digital: George Westerman, Didier Bonnet, and Andrew McAfee, October 2014.
- 2. PwC 18th Annual Global CEO Survey, 2015.
Digital Transformation IT Challenges
Current State of the Network
When asked about the current state of their network, organizations responded:
79% said IT should ensure the network can support the company’s digital plans.3
85% claimed improving data security is the top business priority.3
20% have already deployed wearables in the workplace.4
57% are using or planning to implement some form of cloud.5
Less than 10% have clear integration between their network and digital business strategies.6
67% of businesses believe the current network is a bottleneck in Enterprise IT.3
In end-user IT and business executives’ view, networks and communications add value to digital business and IoT through security, bandwidth, agility, and integration with existing technology.6
Networks need to be agile, with greater programmability and automation capabilities.7
- 3. Verizon Commissioned Study carried out by Forrester Consulting, September 2015.
- 4. Cisco 2015 Mobility Survey.
- 5. IDC InfoBrief Sponsored by Cisco - August 2015.
- 6. Gartner, Jouni Forsman, Survey Analysis: Networks for IoT and Digital Business, September 2015, G00289837.
- 7. IDC: IT’s 3rd Platform Drives Need for Network Innovation.
Network Evolution for the Digital Era
From Manual, Rigid, Device-Centric to
- Closed and Hardware-Centric
- Manual Box-by-Box Management
- Perimeter-Based Reactive Security
- IT and Historical Analytics
Automated, Flexible, Networkwide
- Open, Programmable, Software-Driven
- Networkwide, Policy-Based Automation
- Proactive, Context-Based Security Everywhere
- Business and Real-Time Analytics
Why Evolve to a
- Increase Flexibility
- Simplify IT Operations
- Protect Against Threats
- Accelerate Innovation
- Lower Costs
- Reduce Risk
What’s Holding IT Back?
- Lack of
- Scarce New
Cisco Digital Network Architecture
A Network Architecture for the Digital Era
Cloud Service Management
Abstraction & Policy Control from Core to Edge
- Network Data
- Contextual Insights
- Physical & Virtual Infrastructure
- App Hosting
Cisco ONE Software Delivered
The Cisco Digital Network
Faster Innovation: Workforce Experience
With New Digital Capabilities
- Anytime, anywhere mobile workforce
- Bring-your-own X (device, app, wearable)
- Flexible work environments
- Optimize workplace efficiency
By Enhancing IT Capabilities
- Secure access to mobile and cloud apps
- Protect devices, apps, data, and networks
- Deploy collaborative workspaces with wireless and video
- Implement carpeted IoT and location services
Faster Innovation: Customer Experience
With New Digital Offerings
- Enhance customer service and loyalty
- Deliver consistent online and in-venue relationship
- Gain insights that help optimize business processes
For an Immersive Experience
- Provide personalized mobile experiences
- Promote rich omni-channel experiences
- Deliver contextual network-enabled data and analytics
Simplicity: Lower Cost and Complexity
Traditional Business Models
- Decrease operating costs
- Accelerate deployment of new apps and services
- Streamline network operations
With New IT Capabilities
- Simplify design, deployment, and operations
- Automate service provisioning
- Consistently manage services networkwide
Security: Reduce Risk and Meet Compliance
- Mitigate vulnerabilities and threat impact
- Accelerate response and containment of threats
- Ensure compliance and business continuance
Network Security Capabilities
- Provide context-aware access control
- Implement network as sensor and enforcer capabilities
- Ensure network is compliant and resilient
Cisco Digital Network Architecture Delivers Real Business Benefits
85%Faster network services provisioning8
79%Reduced network installation costs9
2XSoftware value vs. à la carte with license portability10
80%Energy savings and reduced building maintenance costs12
- 8. Based on IWAN App – Estimate based on workflow changing from 900 CLI lines to 10 GUI clicks.
- 9. PnP App – Based on average installation cost for SWM, Rolls Royce Engines and Kaiser Permanente installation costs.
- 10. Cisco ONE Software Buying Model for Access and WAN Based on Cisco Threat-Centric Infrastructure Study, 2015.
- 11. Based on Cisco Threat-Centric Infrastructure Study, 2015.
- 12. Cisco Energy Management Solution with Philips LED Systems.
When evaluating a network architecture to fuel your digital transformation, use the following requirements checklist to guide your network vendor and technology architecture assessment.
Requirements Checklist for Vendor Evaluation
Ask your vendors:
- Can you demonstrate the business benefits of your architecture?
- Can you help us migrate our installed base seamlessly to a software-centric architecture?
- Do you offer investment protection?
- Is your architecture networkwide (access, core, WAN, branch)?
- Is your architecture open and standards-based?
- Do you have broad partner or services ecosystem support?
- Does your architecture simplify sustainable network compliance and support security certifications?
- Can you help us develop our network team’s skill set to support a programmable network?
- Do you have a proven track record to be a trusted partner for the long-term, to support IT through the journey to digital?
- Do you or your partners offer a full portfolio of professional and technical architecture services?
Requirements for Technology Architecture Assessment
- Can you offer on-premises and cloud-managed network consumption models?
- Does your architecture enable end-to-end service automation?
- Is your architecture designed for provisioning of services from the cloud?
- Is your architecture designed to support a controller-based programmable network?
- Is your architecture built to support virtualization that enables network services and hosted third-party apps to be deployed consistently across network devices, appliances, and virtual platforms?
- Can your management system create and apply networkwide policy and services through standard APIs and traditional interfaces?
- To what extent does the architecture support consistent northbound APIs for third-party management or control applications?
- Can your network act as a networkwide security sensor and intelligence dashboard?
- Can your network enforce contextual security policies and respond to contain threats?