Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software powers Cisco MDS 9000 Series Multilayer Switches. Designed to create a strategic SAN platform with superior reliability, performance, scalability, and features, it is fully interoperable with the earlier Cisco SAN-OS.
Advantages of Cisco MDS 9000 NX-OS Software include:
- Flexibility and scalability for enterprise SANs
- Consistency across platforms to provide a unified software base for future unification of Ethernet, storage, and high-performance computing networks
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO) through integrated fabric applications, security, and ease of management
The software's essential features include the following:
- Tightly integrated SAN Extension and I/O acceleration support open systems and mainframe I/O traffic over metropolitan-area networks (MANs) and WANs
- Virtual SAN (VSAN) capability improves Fibre Channel SAN scalability, availability, manageability, and security
- End-to-end virtualization and mobility simplify deployment and management of virtual machines, VSAN fabrics, blade servers, and virtualized storage devices
- Integrated fabric applications deliver network-based storage applications and services
- Security and compliance help preserve the integrity and confidentiality of Fibre Channel traffic between modular switches within a data center or across MANs
The VM Optimized SAN: Evolving and Innovating Into The Virtual World (Flash)
Learn more about the optimized SAN features of virtual machines and blade servers.