The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Wireless LAN Services Module (WLSM), for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series of multilayer switches enables scalable wireless LAN (WLAN) network deployments. The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series WLSM is ideal for enterprises, midsize businesses, universities, and service providers that have deployed Cisco Aironet autonomous access points.
- Uses existing network infrastructure investments that do not force changes to the underlying wireline infrastructure and do not require special client devices
- Enables secure campus-wide Layer 3 roaming
- Supports up to 6000 wireless LAN users and 600 Cisco Aironet Series autonomous access points spread throughout the campus using a single Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series WLSM deployed in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series chassis located anywhere in the network
- Allows network managers to segment and individually authenticate, control access to, and manage disparate wireless user groups such as "guest" and "employee" by enabling wireless mobility groups
- Simplifies management and deployment of wireless networks by unifying wireless and wireline networks, providing consistent application of policies for all wireless traffic via a single point of ingress and providing "out-of-box" access point configuration
- Extends Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series rich intelligent network services to the wireless edge, including:
- Enterprise-class securityDenial of service [DoS] prevention access control lists [ACLs], firewall, intrusion detection, and IP Security [IPSec] VPN
- High availabilityLayer 2 and Layer 3 nonstop forwarding [NSF] with stateful switchover [SSO] of the control and data planes in a supervisor failover, and Cisco EtherChannel
- Quality of service (QoS) mechanisms
Special Software Note:
Cisco IOS Software releases in the 12.2.SX series for Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series switches are the last software releases to support the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series WLSM.