PDF(44.5 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:August 31, 2005
PRODUCT BULLETIN NO. 3049
WARNING: ALL CISCO AIRONET ACCESS POINTS RECEIVING CISCO IOS SOFTWARE RELEASE 12.3(7)JX WILL ONLY FUNCTION IN CONJUNCTION WITH A CISCO WIRELESS LAN CONTROLLER. THEY WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO FUNCTION AS CISCO AIRONET AUTONOMOUS ACCESS POINTS.
This product bulletin describes the content and delivery information for Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.3(7)JX. This is a Cisco Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP) upgrade and recovery support software image supporting Cisco Aironet 1230AG Series access points, Cisco Aironet 1130AG Series access points and selected Cisco Aironet 1200 Series access points.
Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX provides the capability for selected Cisco Aironet autonomous access points to become Cisco Aironet lightweight access points.. Access points running Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX implement a partial LWAPP implementation allowing them to communicate with a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller to receive the full LWAPP software image from the controller. All Cisco Aironet access points receiving Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX will only function in conjunction with a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller. They will no longer be able to function as a Cisco Aironet autonomous access point.
• This Cisco IOS Software release is available as a free software upgrade for Cisco Aironet 1230AG Series, 1200 Series (with AIR-MP21G-x-K9 radio and/or AIR-RM21A-x-K9 or AIR-RM22A-x-K9 radio), and 1130AG Series access points. This software should only be loaded onto the Cisco Aironet access points specified in this document. Do not load this software onto any non-specified Cisco Aironet access point.
Figure 1 displays the release train and recommended migration path for Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX.
Figure 1. Release Train and Recommended Migration Path for Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX
NEW FEATURES IN CISCO IOS SOFTWARE RELEASE 12.3(7)JX
Table 1 lists the new features delivered in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX. The feature is supported in this release for the platforms noted.
Table 1. Cisco IOS Software Release 12.3(7)JX New Feature
Cisco Aironet 1130AG Series Access Point
Cisco Aironet 1200 Series Access Point
Cisco Aironet 1230AG Series Access Point
LWAPP Upgrade and Recovery Support
CISCO IOS SOFTWARE RELEASE 12.3(7)JX NEW FEATURE
LWAPP Upgrade And Recovery Support
This feature allows a Cisco autonomous access point to communicate with a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller in order to receive a full Lightweight Access Point Protocol (LWAPP) image. Access points shipping with LWAPP or selected autonomous access points upgraded from autonomous to lightweight mode use the LWAPP upgrade and recovery support feature to receive their full LWAPP image from the controller. The LWAPP upgrade and recovery support feature is also used as a recovery image if the full LWAPP image becomes corrupted. Access points using the LWAPP upgrade and recovery support feature have limited functionality and their radios are disabled until the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller sends them the full LWAPP image.
The following are special notes about Cisco IOS Software release 12.3(7)JX upgrade and recovery software image:
• Only use this image when upgrading a Cisco Aironet autonomous access point to operate as a lightweight access point using LWAPP and communicating with a Cisco Wireless LAN Controller.
• Use the "Autonomous To Lightweight Mode" upgrade tool to load this image onto Cisco Aironet autonomous access points currently running Cisco IOS Software version 12.3(7)JA or later.
• This release only contains a partial LWAPP image. The full LWAPP software image must be downloaded from the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller to the access point after it has been converted in order for it to operate as a Cisco Aironet lightweight access point. A connection between the access point and Cisco Wireless LAN Controller is required to download the full LWAPP image.
• This image is also shipping with orderable Cisco Aironet lightweight access points.