The Cisco® D9096 4:2:2 10-Bit AVC Encoder (Figure 1) is a new encoder designed for contribution applications that employ the latest 4:2:2 10-bit Advanced Video Coding (AVC) codec. The product is available in single- or dual-encoder configurations with IP and Asynchronous Serial Interface (ASI) output. The customer can choose between options for 8-bit or 10-bit chroma subsampling, 4 or 8 pairs of audio, 1080p60 input support, and optional discrete audio inputs.
Figure 1. Cisco D9096 4:2:2: AVC Encoder
The Cisco D9096 also supports MPEG-2 and AVC-I codecs, making it a highly complementary product to the Cisco Digital Content Manager Gateway (DCM-G) for fixed-contribution applications that need to support a variety of codecs, bitrates, and use cases. The D9096 can encode video at up to 120 Mbps, which is suitable for the highest-bitrate-compressed applications.
Along with a high-quality and versatile video encoding engine, the D9096 offers a comprehensive audio encoding feature set, with support for phase-aligned audio, Dolby E decoding, and Dolby Digital and Digital Plus encoding. The IP output allows the user to stream from any physical port, including the management port, and set up a variety of redundancy schemes.
The Cisco D9096 front panel has an alphanumeric keypad and assignable shortcut keys, which streamline operations when a web browser is not available. A thin film transistor (TFT) display on the front panel shows the input video and format. An intuitive web interface meets all operational expectations, and the Cisco ROSA
® Video Services Manager (VSM) offers management, monitoring, and redundancy for the D9096.
• Encoding of standard-definition (SD) and high-definition (HD) MPEG-4 AVC, with 4:2:0 8-bit and 4:2:2 8- and 10-bit support
• AVC-I mode with support of up to 120 Mbps
• Encoding of standard-definition and high-definition MPEG-2 4:2:0 and 4:2:2 8-bit choma sub-sampling
• Flexible Group of Pictures (GOP) controls and settings
• Latency settings to adjust the tradeoff between latency and quality
• Best-in-class picture quality
• Primary and redundant IP settings for each IP configuration
• Four separate IP configurations for streaming over multiple networks
• Streaming from any IP port (including management)
• User Datagram Protocol (UDP) or RTP with SMPTE-2022 CoP3 forward error correction (FEC) support
• High-density dual-channel configuration
• Standards-based ancillary data support for reliable interoperability
• SMPTE-2038 support to allow metadata flexibility
• Redundancy support through Cisco ROSA VSM
• Support for up to 16 audio inputs in SDI
• Support of Phased Aligned Audio (PAA)
• Passthrough and encoding (AAC, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, and Layer 2 support
• Configurable 32-384 kbps bitrate audio encoding
Ease of Use Features
• Customizable "quick access" settings areas in the web GUI
• TFT display on front panel for confidence monitoring
• Front-panel-assignable shortcut keys for ease of use
• Up to 128 profiles storable on the unit for quick reconfiguration
• Boot-up in less than 35 seconds
Table 1 lists specifications for the Cisco D9096 Encoder.