Cisco Unified Communications 540: A Complete Voice and Data Solution for Small Business
PDF(2.5 MB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:August 1, 2011
For small business employees to communicate effectively with suppliers and customers in today's competitive business environment, they need ready access to information, updated in real time. They also need to stay connected -- to each other and to the business applications they use to do their jobs. With the right solution, your business can collaborate more effectively and problem-solve like never before.
® Unified Communications 540 (Figure 1), a central part of the Cisco Smart Business Communications System (SBCS), is an affordable unified communications appliance that provides voice and data communications, voicemail, automated attendant, video, security, and wireless capabilities while integrating with existing desktop applications such as calendar, email, and other tested third-party applications. This easy-to-use solution supports up to 32 users and provides flexible deployment options based on your needs, supporting a wide array of IP phones, public switched telephone network (PSTN) interfaces, and Internet connectivity.
The Cisco Smart Business Communications System enables businesses to enhance how they reach, serve, and retain customers. It is a complete small business solution that gives your staff anytime, anywhere access to business information and applications, making it easier than ever to communicate with customers and each other. The SBCS consists of different devices based on your needs, and includes the Cisco Unified Communications 540, Cisco IP phones, PoE Switches, wireless access points, approved third-party applications, and the Cisco Configuration Assistant for management.
Figure 1. Cisco Unified Communications 540
Key Features with Benefits
• IP based all-in-one solution designed for small business with up to five sites networked with inter-office dialing
• Flexible call processing deployment options including private branch exchange (PBX) or key system mode, allowing for easy transition to new system based on existing phone system
• Full-featured voice messaging and automated attendant to help improve communication among employees and with customers
• Easy access to voicemail messages from any phone, from the VoiceView Express IP phone display application, or via Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express
• Fax Mail per user where faxes received are delivered direct to the desktop email client or redirect to any fax machine when checking voice mail via phone
• Choice of Cisco Unified IP Phones 6900 and 7900 Series and Cisco Small Business SPA Series IP Phones, including wireless handsets and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) phones
• When traveling or working from home, employees can stay in touch using the Cisco IP Communicator soft phone on any Windows PC.
• Video telephony is as easy as making a voice call by adding a Cisco USB video camera to any 7900 Series phone, selected 6900 Series models or to the IP Communicator soft phone and can be used between sites.
• Phone line connectivity using analog lines (FXO) or ISDN Basic Rate Interface (BRI) with optional digital trunks (T1/E1/PRI) providing flexibility to add trunking as the business grows
• Built-in costs saving SIP trunking with preset configurations from major carriers
• Four analog phone connections (FXS) included for support of traditional fax machines or analog phones
Secure Network Foundation
• Network security included at no extra cost, including Cisco IOS® Firewall to protect the entry point into your network.
• Virtual private network (VPN) IPsec for site to site networking and SSL providing remote users highly secure access to the network included.
• An integrated 8-port Power over Ethernet (PoE) LAN switch for IP phones and other SBCS devices allowing for single box small office deployments
• Ability to expand switching capabilities through expansion ports with Cisco Small Business ESW 500 Series Switches, available with Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, and PoE or Cisco 300 Series Managed Switches allowing for easy configuration using SmartPort roles delivering business growth and flexibility to deploy switching where needed
• Integrated wireless LAN (WLAN) 802.11b/g capability, including support for data and voice giving freedom to employee's to work from any location in the office.
• Optional external Cisco access points to enable mobile networking (data and voice) for larger office spaces, which can help increase employee flexibility and productivity
• Smart Business Productivity Applications are included with each UC500 Series model to help enhance employee productivity:
– Cisco TimeCardView tracks employee hours worked and provides reports to managers showing who is in the office, with the ability to import hours directly to QuickBooks
– Cisco Single Number Reach allows callers to reach employees at their desks or mobile phones for improved customer service or to close sales more quickly
– Live Record and Live Replyenable Cisco Unity Express subscribers to record live conversations and store the recording as a message in their mailbox and reply to other user's messages
• Cisco Smart CallConnectors provide call control, click to dial, inbound screen pop, presence, and instant messaging, all integrated with popular Windowsapplications including Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer.
• Cisco MonitorView on the Cisco SPA525G2 IP Phone provides monitoring for up to four video surveillance cameras from the phone display
Simplified Configuration and Network Management
• Cisco Configuration Assistant, a Windows based application for easy configuration of the UC540 and related SBCS devices, including unified communications (phones and software), switching, routing, Smart Productivity Applications plus security
• CCA can simplify deployment of advanced UC540 features such as Basic ACD and Meet-me conferencing, as well as configure UC540 to integrate with approved 3rd party applications.
• Cisco Office Manager is a no-cost desktop application that the small business office administrator can use to independently perform routine operational tasks for the Cisco SBCS after it is configured by the partner.
For detailed SBCS feature descriptions see the SBCS Feature Description Guide available here.
Cisco Small Business products are exclusively offered though Cisco distribution partners.
Table 1 gives the ordering information for the Cisco Unified Communications 540, licenses, and accessories. Table 2 lists the modules and interface cards available. Table 3 gives the physical specifications for the Cisco Unified Communications 540.
Table 1. Ordering Information
Cisco Unified Communications 540 with 24 user licenses for UC and integrated messaging, 4 FXO ports, 4 FXS ports, 8 PoE 10/100 ports, integrated wireless, and 1 VIC slot. Upgradable to 32 users max.
Cisco Unified Communications 540 with 24 user licenses for UC and integrated messaging, 2 BRI ports, 8 PoE 10/100 ports, integrated wireless, and 1 VIC slot. Upgradable to 32 users max.
E-delivery license for the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series for 8 additional users
Optional 19-inch rack-mount kit for the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series
Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series desktop power adapter 120-240 VAC, 220W (Spare)
3-year Cisco Small Business Support Service
Table 2. Modules and Interface Cards Supported in the single open slot
4-port VIC-FXS/direct inward dialing (DID)
4-port VIC-FXS/direct inward dialing (DID)
2-port VIC-FXO (universal)
2-port VIC-FXS/DID (note that the VIC3-2FXS/DID requires Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(20)T or later)
4-port VIC-FXO (universal)
2-port VIC-BRI (network terminal [NT] and terminal equipment [TE])
1-port VWIC-T1/E1 for voice (ISDN Primary Rate Interface [PRI] and channel associated signaling [CAS]); data is not supported
Table 3. Physical Specifications
Desktop or wall mount included. Optional rack-mount kit available.
2.625 x 10.5 x 11.05 in. (6.67 x 26.67 x 28.07 cm)
Power supply dimensions (HxWxD)
1.7 x 4 x 7.5 in. (4.3 x 10.16 x 19.05 cm)
8 lb (3.63 kg)
External 100-240 VAC, 50-60 Hz, 2-4A input current
Cisco Small Business Support Service for the Cisco Unified Communications 540
The new Cisco Small Business Support Service provides "peace of mind" coverage at an affordable price, and helps you get the most value from your Cisco Small Business solution. This device-level, subscription-based service includes software upgrades and updates, extended access to the Cisco Small Business Support Center, and next-business-day hardware replacement as necessary. It provides community-based support to enable small businesses to share knowledge and collaborate using online forums and wikis to help boost business efficiency, identify and reduce risks, and serve customers better.