PDF(109.3 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:August 6, 2007
The Cisco® 8-Port T1/E1 Multiprotocol Service Module (MPSM-8-T1E1) offers ATM, Frame Relay, and Circuit Emulation services in the same module for the Cisco MGX® 8850/B and MGX 8830/B Advanced ATM Multiservice Switches.
The Cisco MPSM-8-T1E1 is an 8-port T1 or E1, single-height service module for the Cisco MGX 8830/B and MGX 8850/B Advanced ATM Multiservice Switches. The MPSM-8-T1E1 delivers connectivity from DS-0 to T1/E1 speeds and can be configured for ATM, Frame Relay, or Circuit Emulation service.
Key Features and Benefits
• Any service, any card (ASAC) functionality, which reduces operation and deployment costs by supporting ATM, Frame Relay, or Circuit Emulation service on the same hardware module
• Inverse Multiplexing over ATM (IMA) 1.0 and IMA 1.1 along with IMA restart capability
• Support for FRF 8.1 Frame Relay-to-ATM service interworking
• Acts as a replacement for the legacy 8-port Frame Relay Service Modules (FRSMs), ATM Service Modules (AUSMs), and Circuit Emulation Service Modules (CESMs). MPSM-8-T1E1 can reside within the same redundancy group with the legacy FRSM, AUSM, and CESM modules offering the ability to migrate seamlessly from legacy modules to the new MPSM.
• Independent Transport Clock (ITC) and Common Transmit Clocking (CTC) clocking modes
• Mixed-mode 1:N redundancy support to ease sparing requirements
• Built-in bit-error-rate-test (BERT) testing
Table 1 lists product specifications for the Cisco 8-Port T1/E1 Multiprotocol Service Module.
Table 1. Product Specifications
Compatible with Cisco MGX 8830/B, MGX 8830, MGX 8850/B, and MGX 8850 Advanced ATM Multiservice Switches
Minimum software: MGX Switch Software Version 5.0.20
MPSM-8-T1E1: Front card
Choice of 8-port backcards with RJ-48 connectors for T1 and E1 and SMB connectors for E1 (shares common backcards with legacy AUSM, FRSM, and CESM service modules)
1:N card redundancy using the Service Resource Module, similar to legacy FRSM, AUSM, and CESM service modules
ANSI T1.408 extended Super Frame format
ITU-T G.704 16 frame multiframe line framing and clear channel
T1: B8ZS or AMI
E1: HDB3 or AMI
• Configurable for IMA trunk or User-Network Interface (UNI) application
• Conformant to ATM Forum UNI 3.0 and 3.1 as well as ITU-T I.361 and I.432 specifications
• Up to 16 classes of service (CoSs) and includes all ATM Forum traffic type services: available bit rate (ABR), unspecified bit rate (UBR), variable bit rate non-real-time (VBR-nrt), variable bit rate real-time (VBR-rt), constant bit rate (CBR); ABR supported for EFCI, RM marking, and ER stamping; support for IP quality of service (QoS)
• ABR with virtual source/virtual destination (VS/VD)
• Early packet discard (EPD) and partial packet discard (PPD)
• Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED)
• Per virtual circuit queuing for traffic scheduling
• Per virtual circuit traffic shaping on egress
• Per virtual circuit policing
• Virtual path termination
• Integrated Local Management Interface (ILMI) 4.0
• Complies with standard usage parameter control (UPC) per ATM Forum UNI 3.x, TM 4.0, and ITU-TI.371
• Virtual circuit connections (VCCs) and virtual path connections (VPCs)
• Virtual path identifier (VPI) and virtual circuit identifier (VCI) range for VCCs and VPCs per UNI 3.1
• Virtual circuit merge for egress and multipoint connections
• Usage policing supported on all interfaces
• Supports ITU-T Q.933 Annex A, ANSI T1.617 Annex D, and Local Management Interface (LMI) local management, and enhanced LMI provides automatic configuration of traffic management parameters for attached Cisco routers
• Frame Relay-to-ATM network interworking (FRF.5) and Frame Relay-to-ATM service interworking (FRF.8 and FRF.8.1), both transparent and translation modes, configured per permanent virtual circuit (PVC)
• Standards-based committed information rate (CIR) policing and Discard Eligible tagging/discarding
• End-to-end ForeSight rate-based flow-control option to improve trunk utilization
• Capability to extend ForeSight closed-loop congestion management between two Cisco networks across Frame Relay-UNI or Frame Relay-NNI using ANSI T1.618 consolidated link-layer management (CLLM) messages
• Each logical port independently configurable as Frame Relay UNI or Frame Relay NNI
• Meets ANSI T1.618, using 2-octet headers
• ATM Forum FUNI mode 1A supported
• Supports CRC-16 and CRC-32
• ATM Adaptation Layer 5 (AAL5) mapping of user payload to ATM
• Standards-based usage parameter control
• End-to-end ForeSight and standard ABR rate-based flow-control license option
• ATM Forum Circuit Emulation Service Version 2.0 (CESv2.0).
• Choice of structured data transfer (SDT) or unstructured data transfer (UDT) per physical interface.
• Any contiguous n x 64-kbps fractional T1/E1 channel can be mapped to any virtual circuit.
• T1 card supports up to 192 DS-0 ports (24 channels x 8 lines) operating simultaneously with each interface configurable as a single port (UDT) or up to 24 ports (SDT) running at full line rate at n x 64 kbps.
• E1 card supports up to 248 DS-0 ports (31 channels x 8 lines) operating simultaneously with each interface configurable as a single port (UDT) or up to 31 ports (SDT) running at full line rate at n x 64 kbps.
• Synchronous clocking for both UDT and SDT.
• Asynchronous clocking for UDT, with synchronous residual time stamp (SRTS) and adaptive clock recovery methods.
• On/off hook detection and idle suppression using channel-associated signaling (CAS).
• Support per virtual circuit partially filled AAL1 cell payload to improve cell delay. Type fill range (bytes):
• T1 structured: 25-47
• T1 unstructured: 33-47
• E1 structured: 20-47
• E1 unstructured: 33-47
Height: 18.4 cm (7.25 in.)
Depth: 39.8 cm (15.65 in.)
Input power required: (48 VDC)
Power consumption: 25 W
FCC Class A / TIA-968-A
ICES 003 Class A
AS/NZS 3548 Class A
CISPR 22 (EN55022) Class A
VCCI Class A
BSMI Class A
IEC/EN 61000-3-2: Power Line Harmonics
IEC/EN 61000-3-3: Voltage Fluctuations and Flicker