Cisco Catalyst 4948 Fixed-Config Switch for Rack-Optimized Server Switching
PDF(38.5 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:November 19, 2004
PRODUCT BULLETIN NO. 2623
Cisco Systems® is pleased to announce the Cisco® Catalyst® 4948 Switch, a wire-speed, low latency, 48-port 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Layer 2-4, 1-rack-unit (RU), fixed-configuration switch for rack-optimized server-switching applications. An external announcement is scheduled for September 27, 2004. The Cisco Catalyst 4948 Switch offers exceptional performance and reliability for Layer 2 and Layer 3 server switching deployments for enterprise and small and medium-sized (SMB) businesses.
The new Cisco Catalyst 4948 Switch is available for order immediately, with first customer shipment (FCS) planned for September 15, 2004.
This product bulletin contains the following information:
• Product overview
• Product number and pricing
• Software requirements
• FCS schedule and lead times
• Online documentation
• Competitive information
• Marketing contacts
The Cisco Catalyst 4948 Switch is a wire-speed, low-latency, 1 RU fixed-configuration switch for rack-optimized server switching. Based on the proven Cisco Catalyst 4500 Series hardware and software architecture. The Cisco Catalyst 4948 offers exceptional performance and reliability for low-density, multilayer aggregation of high-performance servers and workstations.
The Cisco Catalyst 4948 offers 48 ports of wire-speed Layer 2-4 10/100/1000-BASE-T with four alternative wired ports that can accommodate optional 1000-BASE-X Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optics* Exceptional reliability and serviceability is delivered with optional internal AC or DC 1+1 hot-swappable power supplies and a hot-swappable fan tray with redundant fans.
* The Cisco Catalyst 4948 has 52 physical switching ports (48 10/100/1000 and four SFP) on the front panel. Up to 48 of these ports can be active at one time in any combination.
• Wire-speed performance for 10/100/1000 Ethernet connectivity-96-Gbps switching fabric with 72-mpps forwarding rate for Layer 2-4
• Power supply redundancy for nonstop operation-1+1 redundant hot swappable internal AC or DC power supplies
• Robust network security-Prevent man-in-the-middle and IP spoofing attacks; access control lists (ACLs); Secure Shell (SSH) version 1 and version 2 protocols; Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMPv3) for secure remote access and network management
• Comprehensive network management-Dedicated 10/100 console port and dedicated 10/100 management port; remote in-band management through SNMP
Part numbers for the Cisco Catalyst 4948 are listed in Table 1. Table 2 shows software requirements. Table 3 shows shipping information.
Table 1. Ordering Information
Cisco Catalyst 4948, standard multilayer software image, one AC power supply, fan tray
Cisco Catalyst 4948, enhanced multilayer software image, one AC power supply, fan tray
Cisco Catalyst 4948, optional software image, optional power supplies, fan tray
Cisco Catalyst 4948 300W AC power supply
Cisco Catalyst 4948 300W AC power supply redundant
Cisco Catalyst 4948 300W DC power supply
Cisco Catalyst 4948 300W DC power supply redundant
Standard multilayer software image: Routing Information Protocol (RIP), static routes, IPX, Appletalk; 3DES image
Standard multilayer software image: RIP, static routes, IPX, Appletalk