The Cisco MDS 9216A Multilayer Fabric Switch (Figure 1) brings new capability and investment protection to the fabric switch market. Sharing a consistent architecture with the Cisco MDS 9500 Series, the Cisco MDS 9216A combines multilayer intelligence with a modular chassis, making it an extremely capable and flexible fabric switch. Starting with 16 2-Gbps Fibre Channel ports, the expansion slot on the Cisco MDS 9216A allows for the addition of any current or future Cisco MDS 9000 Family module for up to 64 total ports.
® MDS 9216A Multilayer Fabric Switch is designed for building mission-critical enterprise storage area networks (SANs) where scalability, multilayer capability, resiliency, robust security, and ease of management are imperative. The Cisco MDS 9216A offers the following important features:
• Compelling economics-A modular design provides a 3-rack unit (RU) base system consisting of 16 2-Gbps Fibre Channel ports and can be expanded with a variety of optional switching modules to up to 64 total Fibre Channel ports.
• Cost-effective design-The Cisco MDS 9216A offers advanced management tools for overall lower total cost of ownership (TCO). It includes virtual SAN (VSAN) technology for hardware-enforced isolated environments within a single physical fabric for secure sharing of physical infrastructure, further decreasing TCO.
• Multiprotocol and multitransport-The multilayer architecture of the Cisco MDS 9216A helps enable a consistent feature set over a protocol-independent switch fabric and easily integrates Fibre Channel, IBM Fiber Connection (FICON), Small Computer System Interface over IP (iSCSI), and Fibre Channel over IP (FCIP) in one system.
• Integrated hardware-based VSANs and Inter-VSAN Routing (IVR)-Enables deployment of large-scale multisite and heterogeneous SAN topologies. Integration into port-level hardware allows any port within a system or fabric to be partitioned into any VSAN. Integrated hardware-based inter-VSAN routing provides line-rate routing between any ports within a system or fabric without the need for external routing appliances.
• High-performance inter-switch links (ISLs)-Supports up to 16 Fibre Channel links in a single PortChannel. Links can span any speed-matched ports on any module within a chassis for added scalability and resilience.
• Intelligent network services-Uses VSAN technology for hardware-enforced, isolated environments within a single physical fabric, access control lists (ACLs) for hardware-based intelligent frame processing, and advanced traffic management features such as Fibre Channel Congestion Control (FCC) and fabric-wide quality of service (QoS) to facilitate migration from SAN islands to enterprise-wide storage networks.
• Advanced FICON services-Supports FICON environments, including cascaded FICON fabrics, VSAN-enabled intermix of mainframe and open systems environments, and N_Port ID virtualization for mainframe Linux partitions. CUP (Control Unit Port) support enables in-band management of Cisco MDS 9200 Series switches from the mainframe management console.
• Comprehensive network security framework-Supports RADIUS and TACACS+, Fibre Channel Security Protocol (FC-SP), Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP), Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol, and Simple Network Management Protocol Version 3 (SNMPv3) implementing Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), VSANs, hardware-enforced zoning, ACLs, and per-VSAN role-based access control.
• Sophisticated diagnostics-Provides intelligent diagnostics, protocol decoding, and network analysis tools as well as integrated Call Home capability for added reliability, faster problem resolution, and reduced service costs.
• Open platform for intelligent storage applications-Provides the intelligent services necessary for hosting and/or accelerating storage applications such as network-hosted volume management, data migration and backup. Storage services modules can be installed in any Cisco MDS 9500 or MDS 9200 series chassis to provide application hosting and/or acceleration intelligence in the fabric.
Ideal for efficient, secure SAN consolidation, VSANs allow more efficient storage network utilization by creating hardware-based isolated environments with a single physical SAN fabric or switch. Each VSAN can be zoned as a typical SAN and maintains its own fabric services for added scalability and resilience. VSANs allow the cost of SAN infrastructure to be shared among more users, while ensuring absolute segregation of traffic and retaining independent control of configuration on a VSAN-by-VSAN basis.
Integrated SAN Routing
In another step toward deploying efficient, cost-effective, consolidated storage networks, the Cisco MDS 9216A multilayer fabric switch supports IVR, the industry's first routing functionality for Fibre Channel. IVR allows selective transfer of data between specific initiators and targets on different VSANs while maintaining isolation of control traffic within each VSAN. With IVR, data can transit VSAN boundaries while maintaining control plane isolation, thereby maintaining fabric stability and availability. Integrated IVR eliminates the need for external routing appliances, greatly increasing routing scalability while delivering line-rate routing performance, simplifying management, and eliminating the challenges associated with maintaining separate systems. Integrated IVR means lower total cost of SAN ownership.
The Cisco MDS 9216A architecture enables multilayer and multiprotocol functionality, allowing it to transparently integrate new transport technologies for maximum flexibility. Beginning with Fibre Channel, FICON, iSCSI, and FCIP, the Cisco MDS 9216A is a robust multiprotocol platform designed for deployment of cost-optimized storage networks. Users can implement up to 10-Gbps Fibre Channel or FICON for high-performance applications, iSCSI over Ethernet for cost-effective connectivity to shared storage pools, and FCIP for connectivity between data centers.
Open Platform for Intelligent Storage Applications
The Cisco MDS 9216A multilayer fabric switch provides an open platform that delivers the intelligence and advanced features required to make multilayer intelligent SANs a reality, including hardware-enabled innovations to host or accelerate applications for data migration, data replication, serverless backup, network-hosted volume management and more. Hosting and/or accelerating these applications in the network can dramatically improve scalability, availability, security and manageability of the storage environment-resulting in increased utility and lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
Integrated Mainframe Support
The Cisco MDS 9216A multilayer fabric switch is mainframe-ready, with full support for IBM zSeries FICON and Linux environments. Qualified by IBM for attachment to all FICON-enabled devices in an IBM zSeries operating environment, Cisco MDS 9216A multilayer fabric switches support transport of the FICON protocol in both cascaded and noncascaded fabrics, as well as an intermix of FICON and open systems Fibre Channel Protocol traffic on the same switch. VSANs simplify an intermix of SAN resources between z/OS, mainframe Linux, and open systems environments, allowing for increased SAN utilization and simplified SAN management. VSAN-based intermix mode eliminates the uncertainty and instability often associated with zoning-based intermix techniques. VSANs also eliminate the possibility of a misconfiguration or component failure in one VSAN affecting operation in other VSANs. VSAN-based management access controls simplify partitioning of SAN management responsibilities between mainframe and open systems environments, enhancing security. FICON VSANs can be managed using the integrated Cisco Fabric Manager; the Cisco CLI; or IBM CUP-enabled management tools, including SA/390, Resource Measurement Facility (RMF), or Dynamic Channel Path Management (DCM).
Advanced Traffic Management
The following advanced traffic management capabilities integrated into the Cisco MDS 9216A simplify deployment and optimization of large-scale fabrics:
• Virtual Output Queuing-helps ensure line-rate performance on each port, independent of traffic pattern, by eliminating head-of-line blocking.
• 255 buffer-to-buffer credits-are assigned to each port for optimal bandwidth utilization across distance.
• PortChannels-Allow users to aggregate up to 16 physical ISLs into a single logical bundle, providing optimized bandwidth utilization across all links. The bundle can consist of any speed-matched ports from any module in the chassis, ensuring that the bundle can remain active even in the event of a module failure.
• Fabric Shortest Path First (FSPF)-based multipathing-provides the intelligence to load balance across up to 16 equal cost paths and, in the event of a switch failure, dynamically reroute traffic.
• QoS-can be used to manage bandwidth and control latency, to prioritize critical traffic.
• Fibre Channel Congestion Control (FCC)-is an end-to-end, feedback-based congestion control mechanism that augments the Fibre Channel buffer-to-buffer credit mechanism to provide enhanced traffic management.
Advanced Diagnostics and Troubleshooting Tools
Management of large-scale storage networks requires proactive diagnostics, tools to verify connectivity and route latency, and mechanisms for capturing and analyzing traffic. The Cisco MDS 9216A integrates advanced analysis and diagnostic tools. Power-on self test (POST) and online diagnostics provide proactive health monitoring. The Cisco MDS 9216A implements diagnostic capabilities such as Fibre Channel Traceroute for detailing the exact path and timing of flows and Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN) to intelligently capture network traffic. After traffic has been captured, it can then be analyzed with the Cisco Fabric Analyzer, an embedded Fibre Channel analyzer. Comprehensive port-based and flow-based statistics facilitate sophisticated performance analysis and service-level agreement (SLA) accounting. With the Cisco MDS 9216A, Cisco Systems
® delivers a comprehensive toolset for troubleshooting and analysis of storage networks.
Comprehensive Solution for Robust Security
Addressing the need for failproof security in storage networks, the Cisco MDS 9216A offers an extensive security framework to protect highly sensitive data crossing today's enterprise networks. The Cisco MDS 9216A employs intelligent packet inspection at the port level, including the application of ACLs for hardware enforcement of zones, VSANs, and advanced Port Security features.
Extended zoning capabilities are enabled to ensure that logical unit numbers (LUNs) are accessible only by specific hosts (LUN zoning), to limit SCSI read commands for a certain zone (read-only zoning), and to restrict broadcasts to only the selected zones (broadcast zones). VSANs are used to achieve higher security and greater stability by providing complete isolation among devices that are connected to the same physical SAN. In addition, FC-SP provides switch-switch and host-switch Diffie-Hellman Challenge Handshake Authentication Protocol (DH-CHAP) authentication supporting RADIUS or TACACS+ to help ensure that only authorized devices access protected storage networks.
Ease of Management
To meet the needs of all users, the Cisco MDS 9216A provides three principal modes of management: the Cisco MDS 9000 Family command-line interface (CLI), Cisco Fabric Manager, and integration with third-party storage management tools.
The Cisco MDS 9216A presents a consistent, logical CLI. Adhering to the syntax of widely known Cisco IOS
® Software CLI, the Cisco MDS 9000 Family CLI is easy to learn and delivers broad management capability. The Cisco MDS 9000 Family CLI is an extremely efficient and direct interface designed to provide optimal functionality to administrators in enterprise environments.
Cisco Fabric Manager is a responsive, easy-to-use Java application that simplifies management across multiple switches and fabrics. Cisco Fabric Manager enables administrators to perform vital tasks such as topology discovery, fabric configuration and verification, provisioning, monitoring, and fault resolution. All functions are available through a secure interface, enabling remote management from any location.
Cisco Fabric Manager can be used independently or in conjunction with third-party management applications. Cisco provides an extensive API for integration with third-party and user-developed management tools.
Advanced Software Packages
The Cisco MDS 9216A can be further enhanced through additional software packages that offer advanced intelligence and functionality. Currently available software packages include the following:
• Cisco Enterprise Package-The Cisco Enterprise Package includes a set of traffic engineering and advanced security features such as Inter-VSAN Routing, QoS, switch-switch and host-switch authentication, LUN zoning, and read-only zones that are recommended for enterprise SANs.
• SAN Extension over IP Package-The Cisco SAN Extension over IP Package provides an integrated, cost-effective, and reliable business continuance solution that uses IP infrastructure by offering FCIP for remote SAN extension, along with a variety of advanced features to optimize the performance and manageability of FCIP links.
• Cisco Mainframe Package-The Cisco Mainframe Package is a comprehensive collection of features required for using the Cisco MDS 9500 and MDS 9200 series switches in mainframe storage networks, including FICON protocol, Control Unit Port (CUP) management, switch cascading, fabric binding, and intermixing.
• Cisco Fabric Manager Server Package-The Cisco Fabric Manager Server (FMS) Package extends Cisco Fabric Manager by providing historical performance monitoring for network traffic hot-spot analysis, centralized management services, and advanced application integration.
The modular design of the Cisco MDS 9216A gives it the ability to support current and future Cisco MDS 9000 Family switching or services modules. Currently available modules include the following:
• 16-port and 32-port 2-Gbps Fibre Channel switching modules
• 12-port, 24-port, and 48-port 4-Gbps Fibre Channel switching modules
• 4-port 10-Gbps Fibre Channel Switching Module
• The IP Services Modules, supporting iSCSI and FCIP over both four and eight ports of Gigabit Ethernet
• The Multiprotocol Services Module, supporting 14 ports of 2-Gbps Fibre Channel and iSCSI and FCIP over two ports of Gigabit Ethernet
• The Storage Services Module, supporting integrated network-hosted application services and 32 2-Gbps Fibre Channel ports
Optionally configurable, these modules give the Cisco MDS 9216A superior functionality and versatility.
Table 1 lists the product specifications for the Cisco MDS 9216A.
Temperature, ambient operating: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
Temperature, ambient nonoperating and storage: 40 to 158°F (40 to 75°C)
Relative humidity, ambient (noncondensing) operating: 10 to 90%
Relative humidity, ambient (noncondensing) nonoperating and storage: 10 to 95%
Altitude, operating: -197 to 6500 ft (60 to 2000 m)
Dimensions (H x W x D): 5.25 x 17.32 x 22.66 in. (13.34 x 43.99 x 57.56 cm), 3 RU
· All units rack mountable in standard 19 in. EIA rack
· Fully configured chassis with optional switching module: 70 lb (32 kg)
Power and Cooling
Power supply (845WAC)
· AC input characteristics
-100 to 240 VAC (10% range)
-50 to 60 Hz (nominal)
· 200 linear feet per minute (lfm) through system fan assembly
· Cisco recommends that you maintain a minimum air space of 2.5 in. (6.4 cm) between walls and chassis air vents and a minimum horizontal separation of 6 in. (15.2 cm) between two chassis to prevent overheating.
Approvals and Compliance
· CE Marking
· UL 60950
· CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950
· EN 60950
· IEC 60950
· TS 001
· AS/NZS 3260
· 21 CFR 1040
· FCC Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
· ICES-003 Class A
· EN 55022 Class A
· CISPR 22 Class A
· AS/NZS 3548 Class A
· VCCI Class A
· EN 55024
· EN 50082-1
· EN 61000-6-1
· EN 61000-3-2
· EN 61000-3-3
Table 2 lists ordering information for the Cisco MDS 9216A.
Table 2. Ordering Information
Cisco MDS 9216A Multilayer Fabric Switch
Optional Switching Modules, SFPs
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 16-Port 1/2-Gbps Fibre Channel Module, SFP/LC
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 32-Port 1/2-Gbps Fibre Channel Module, SFP/LC
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 32-Port Storage Services Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2/4-Gbps 12-Port Fibre Channel Switching Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2/4-Gbps 24-Port Fibre Channel Switching Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2/4-Gbps 48-Port Fibre Channel Switching Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 14/2-Port Multiprotocol Services Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 4-Port 1-Gigabit Ethernet IP Storage Services Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 8-Port 1-Gigabit Ethernet IP Storage Services Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 10-Gbps 4-Port Fibre Channel Switching Module
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2-Gbps Fibre Channel-Shortwave, SFP, LC (Supported only with 1/2-Gbps FC modules)
Cisco MDS 9000 Family Gigabit Ethernet, 1/2-Gbps Fibre Channel-Shortwave, SFP, LC (Supported only with 1/2-Gbps FC modules, IP Storage Services Modules, and Multiprotocol Services Modules)
Cisco MDS 9000 Family Gigabit Ethernet, 1/2-Gbps Fibre Channel-Longwave, SFP, LC (Supported only with 1/2-Gbps FC modules, IP Storage Services Modules, and Multiprotocol Services Modules)
Gigabit Ethernet Copper SFP, RJ-45 (Supported only with Gigabit Ethernet ports)
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2/4-Gbps Fibre Channel-Shortwave, SFP, LC (Supported only with 1/2/4-Gbps FC modules)
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2-Gbps Fibre Channel-Longwave, SFP, LC (Supported only with 1/2-Gbps FC modules)
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2/4-Gbps Fibre Channel-Longwave, SFP, LC (4-km reach) (Supported only with 1/2/4-Gbps FC modules)
Cisco MDS 9000 Family 1/2/4-Gbps Fibre Channel-Longwave, SFP, LC (10-km reach) (Supported only with 1/2/4-Gbps FC modules)
10-Gbps Fibre Channel-SR X2 Transceiver (Supported only with 10-Gbps FC modules)
10-Gbps Fibre Channel-LR X2 Transceiver (Supported only in 1/2/4-Gbps FC modules)
Advanced Software Packages
Cisco MDS 9200 SAN Extension over IP Package for Cisco MDS 9000 Family 14/2-Port Multiprotocol Services Module
Cisco MDS 9200 SAN Extension over IP Package for Cisco MDS 9000 Family 8-Port 1-Gigabit Ethernet IP Storage Services Module
Cisco MDS 9200 SAN Extension over IP Package for Cisco MDS 9000 Family 4-Port 1-Gigabit Ethernet IP Storage Services Module
Cisco MDS 9200 Series Enterprise Package
Cisco MDS 9200 Series Fabric Manager Server Package
Cisco MDS 9200 Series Mainframe Package
Cisco MDS 9200 Storage Services Enabler Package for the Cisco MDS 9000 Family Advanced Services Module or the Cisco MDS 9000 Family Storage Services Module
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.