PDF(261.6 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:Jan 12, 2007
Cisco® introduces the Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Supervisor Engine 32 Programmable Intelligent Services Accelerator (PISA), the next generation supervisor engine for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series of modular switches, delivering superior and integrated deep packet inspection, application awareness, security, availability, and manageability services for the networks of small and medium-sized businesses, enterprises, and service providers. This supervisor engine is ideal for securing campus access networks, converged services MAN/WAN applications and small/medium backbone functions.
The PISA on the Supervisor Engine 32 PISA provides hardware acceleration of intelligent services such as network-based application recognition (NBAR) and flexible packet matching (FPM) at multigigabit speeds, in addition to the management and control plane functions traditionally provided by the multilayer switch feature card (MSFC). The Supervisor Engine 32 PISA is offered with the Policy Feature Card 3B (PFC3B), to ensure feature and performance compatibility with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32.
Introduction of the two versions of Supervisor Engine 32 PISA:
• Supervisor Engine 32 PISA with eight Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (shown in Figure 1)
Figure 1. Supervisor Engine 32 PISA with Gigabit Ethernet Uplinks
• Supervisor Engine 32 PISA with two 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks (shown in Figure 2)
Figure 2. Supervisor Engine 32 PISA with Two 10 Gigabit Ethernet Uplinks
Table 1 summarizes the primary features available on the Supervisor Engine 32 PISA.
Table 1. Primary Features of the Supervisor Engine 32 PISA
Network Based Application Recognition at Multigigabit Speeds
• Provides the ability to discover protocols and applications running on the network
• Allows Intelligent traffic classification based on application type
• Supports addition of new protocols and applications using packet description language modules (PDLMs)
• Provides the ability to load new PDLM's without changing Cisco IOS Software releases and without rebooting the switch
• Supports a wide variety of applications and protocols, including: