PDF(138.6 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:November 24, 2008
Advanced, Feature-Rich, Multiline IP Phone for SIP-Based VoIP Service
• Industry-leading VoIP technology from Cisco that delivers a high-quality IP phone that is unparalleled in features, value, and support.
• Standard features include four active lines, dual-switched Ethernet ports, Power over Ethernet, a high-resolution graphical display, full-duplex speakerphone, and a headset port
• Business-grade reliability with advanced voice quality of service
• Comprehensive interoperability with the Cisco® Small Business SPA9000 Voice System, SIP-based phone systems, and SIP phone services from your Internet telephony service provider
Figure 1. Cisco SPA942 4-Line IP Phone with 2-Port Switch
Stylish and functional in design, the Cisco SPA942 4-Line IP Phone with 2-Port Switch (Figure 1) is ideal for a residence or business using a hosted IP telephony service, an IP private branch exchange (PBX), or a large-scale IP Centrex deployment. The Cisco SPA942 uses industry-leading voice over IP (VoIP) technology from Cisco to deliver an upgradeable high-quality IP phone that is unparalleled in features, value, and support.
Based on the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP), the Cisco SPA942 has been tested to ensure comprehensive interoperability with equipment from VoIP infrastructure leaders, enabling service providers to quickly roll out competitive, feature-rich services to their customers.
With hundreds of features and configurable service parameters, the Cisco SPA942 addresses the requirements of traditional business users while taking advantage of the benefits of IP telephony. Features such as easy station moves and shared line appearances (across local and geographically dispersed locations) are just some of the many advantages.
Standard features on the Cisco SPA942 include four active lines, dual-switched Ethernet ports, 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE)* support, a high-resolution graphical display, full-duplex speakerphone, and a 2.5-mm headset port. Each line can be independently configured to use a unique phone number (or extension), or can use a shared number that is assigned to multiple phones.
The Cisco SPA942 uses standard encryption protocols to provide secure remote provisioning and unobtrusive in-service software upgrades. Highly secure remote provisioning tools include detailed performance measurement and troubleshooting features, enabling network providers to deliver high-quality support to their subscribers. Remote provisioning also saves service providers the hassle and expense of managing, preloading, and reconfiguring customer premises equipment (CPE).
*The power supply for the SPA942 is sold separately and is required if PoE capability is not implemented.
• Up to four lines with independent configuration and registration
• Active line indication, with name and number
• Menu-driven user interface, with support for multiple languages
• Digits dialed with number auto-completion
• Shared line appearance**
• Full-duplex speakerphone
• Call hold
• Music on hold**
• Call waiting
• Caller ID name and number
• Outbound caller ID blocking
• Call transfer - attended and blind
• Call conferencing
• Automatic redial
• On-hook dialing
• Call pickup - selective and group**
• Call park and retrieval**
• Call swap
• Call back on busy
• Call blocking - anonymous and selective
• Call forwarding - unconditional, no answer, or busy
• VAD - voice activity detection with silence suppression
• Attenuation/gain adjustments
• MWI - message waiting indicator tones
• VMWI - voicemail waiting indicator - via NOTIFY, SUBSCRIBE
• Caller ID support (name and number)
• Third-party call control (RFC 3725)
• Password-protected system, preset to factory default
• Password-protected access to administrator and user-level features
• HTTPS with factory-installed client certificate
• HTTP digest - encrypted authentication via MD5 (RFC 1321)
• Up to 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption
W x H x D
7.68 x 6.3 x 7.09 in.
(195 x 160 x 180 mm)
2.15 lb (0.9752 kg)
• DC input voltage: +5V DC at 2.0A maximum
• Power consumption: 5W
• Switching type (100-240V) automatic
• Optional power adapter (Cisco PA100 Power Supply for Small Business VOIP): 100-240V 50-60 Hz (26-34VA) AC input
FCC (Part 15, Class B), CE, A-Tick, ICES-003
32° to 113°F (0° to 45°C)
-13° to 185°F (-25° to 85°C)
10% to 90%, noncondensing
10% to 90%, noncondensing
• Cisco SPA942 4-Line IP Phone with 2-Port Switch
• Handset cord
• RJ-45 Ethernet cable
• Quick installation guide
(Optional power supply is ordered separately)
• Installation and configuration guide
• User guide
• Administration guide
• Provisioning guide - for service providers only
1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and 90-day limited software warranty
Table 2. Cisco Small Business IP Phone Comparison Chart
High-Resolution Graphical Display
Check the product package and contents for specific features supported. Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a 1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty. In addition, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: