Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager 8.7 Data Sheet
PDF(505.0 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:March 1, 2012
Cisco Unified Communications
® Unified Communications (UC) solutions unify voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks, facilitating easy collaboration every time from any workspace. Part of a comprehensive solution that includes network infrastructure, security, wireless, management, or third-party applications and lifecycle services, Cisco Unified Communications management solutions, of which Cisco Prime
™ Unified Operations Manager (UOM) is a part, can accelerate deployment, provide cost savings, and enhance productivity.
Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager is the cornerstone of the Cisco Prime Unified Communications Management Suite, designed specifically for managing the Cisco Unified Communications system. The Cisco Prime Unified Communications Management Suite offers provisioning, monitoring, diagnostics, and extensive reporting capabilities to:
• Simplify the management of your Cisco Unified Communications environment
• Reduce the total cost of ownership
• Help ensure high-quality service and end-user satisfaction
• Optimize your Cisco Unified Communications resources
Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager 8.7 provides comprehensive voice network monitoring with diagnostics for the entire Cisco Unified Communications 8.7 system, including the underlying voice transport infrastructure.
Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager identifies the role of every device and application in the Cisco Unified Communications network and monitors them, detecting operational faults with voice-application-aware intelligence. The resulting alerts facilitate rapid troubleshooting of outages, with context-sensitive links to the appropriate services for that device. There are no workflow rules to write, no thresholds to define, and no time-consuming management setup to budget for.
Cisco Prime for Enterprise is an innovative strategy and portfolio of management products that empower IT departments to more effectively manage their networks and the services they deliver. Cisco Prime is built upon a network services management foundation and a set of common attributes. It delivers an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience across Cisco architectures, technologies, and networks. Cisco Prime simplifies network management, improves operations efficiency, reduces errors, and makes the delivery of network services more predictable.
Features and Benefits
Reduces Downtime with Real-Time Visualization
Cisco Prime UOM presents the current operational status of the Cisco Unified Communications system through dynamic views of the network showing the current status of monitored devices, applications, and phones. Figure 1 shows the UC Opsview, which provides a single view summary of the entire UC phone network status while showing an example of the Cisco Prime user experience.
Figure 1. Cisco Prime UOM - UC Opsview
Save Time with Automated Discovery
Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager automatically discovers the network and updates its knowledge base by identifying the role of every device and application in the Cisco Unified Communications network. Devices are grouped into clusters automatically, simplifying access to devices and providing for a real-time, interactive cluster-level mapping, called the Service Level View in Figure 2.
Figure 2. Service Level View - Cluster Level
Improves Time to Resolution with Statistics Grouping
Experienced UC engineers can reduce keystrokes and open windows using the Diagnostics View in Figure 3. This view provides a portal for each major device type, such as Communications Managers or clusters, and presents a group of portlets designed to display the appropriate statistics for that device set.
Figure 3. Diagnostic View - Network Level
Dynamic Fault Display Pinpoints Devices with Events
Proactive monitoring is important to help make sure phones are always working well. The Fault Monitor (Figure 4) is an updating display that quickly changes to let you monitor the network events or just the group or device type you are interested in. Devices and events are all displayed on the same view, greatly reducing mouse clicks.
Figure 4. Fault Monitor with Communications Manager Selected
Anticipate Problems Using Scheduled Tests on the Network
Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager comes with a powerful set of diagnostic tests that can be executed on demand or through calendar control for proactive network health monitoring and trouble isolation. The diagnostics can be used to validate that the phone's features are set up as expected, including call, call hold, call park, call transfer, message light activation, and conference calling. Operational tests simulate user activities such as getting a dial tone, making phone calls, leaving voicemail, and creating or joining conference calls; the tests also log any issues encountered. Dial-plan tests provide an easy mechanism to validate all the dial plans. Node-to-node testing uses the Cisco IOS
® Software IP service-level agreement (SLA) feature in Cisco routers and switches to simulate traffic through the network. After the test, network characteristics such as status, response time, latency, jitter, packet loss, and network quality are displayed in the Diagnostic View for a quick baseline history during troubleshooting.
Table 1 lists features and benefits of Cisco Unified Operations Manager.
Table 1. Features and Benefits of Cisco Unified Operations Manager
• As a Cisco Prime product, UOM features and user experience are standardized with the ability to cross-launch features from one Cisco Prime product to another, expanding device management into service level management.
• Seeing the entire network summarized in UC Opsview, with the most affected devices and services revealed, allows you to quickly prioritize your attention to the areas that affect the most users.
• Automated discovery of Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster elements and associated Cisco Unified Communications applications and phones, switches, routers, and voice gateways.
• Link to Cisco Prime LAN Management Solution (LMS) credential repository to reduce duplicate credential entry for LMS-supported infrastructure components.
• Automatic grouping and population of cluster service-level view.
• Static Network Address Translation (NAT) support through manual import or addition.
• Support for Cisco Unified Presence, Cisco Voice Portal, and Contact Center Enterprise on Cisco Unified Computing System
™ (Cisco UCS
• Single view to visualize and monitor Unified Communications component status, performance, and test results by logical and physical groupings.
• See the status of the key components in a grouping together on a single screen to make diagnosis of problems much quicker than the previous individual-feature navigation approach.
• Single view to monitor the component status and performance of a voice messaging server.
• Quick, at-a-glance, real-time status of all the faults in the Unified Communications network.
• View fault summaries by selected group with events for the selected line simultaneously displayed in an adjacent window to minimize the number of clicks to see actual event detail.
• View events by selected grouping, bypassing the event summary for even faster access to event details.
• Visibility into critical performance metrics of each element, such as resource usage (CPU, memory, media digital signal processor [DSP] resources), active calls, trunk statistics (trunk usage, port usage, gateway statistics), and so on.
• Enhanced ease-of-use graphic chart views for side-by-side comparison of selected metrics.
• Options to export the chart content in comma-separated value (CSV) format for use in further data analysis or to print it as an image.
• Key performance results displayed on Diagnostic View with instant zoom.
• Synthetic tests (call processor to phone) and phone-to-phone tests, helping to ensure end-to-end service connectivity.
• Phone batch and status tests to help ensure that phone features operate as provisioned.
• IP SLA node-to-node testing.
• Multiple test results displayed on Diagnostic View.
• Email, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) traps, and syslog formats for external notification from the UOM MIB, and not just network components, forward actionable alerts created by UOM.
• Event-filtering user interface to select specific types of fault notifications for a set of devices to be sent to specific users.
• Hyperlink embedded in the notification email providing direct launch of the event display to quickly determine what sent the event and what is going on with other involved Unified Communications components.
• SNMP MIB for UOM server status.
• Web Services API for phone inventory.
Service-Level and Inventory Reports
• Reports that can be viewed, archived, exported, or sent to the subscribers on a scheduled basis by email.
• Historical alert, event, and service-quality reports that can document past outages for long-term trending.
• Phone reports that provide information about phone moves, changes, and status information for every IP phone and every video-enabled IP phone deployed in the network.
• Customizable reports to collect and periodically email the information about a specific set of the devices, phones, and diagnostic tests.
Integration with Cisco Prime Unified Service Monitor
Cisco Prime Unified Service Monitor (USM) sends service-quality alerts to UOM when the Mean Opinion Score (MOS) generated by Cisco IP phones and sensors exceeds the USM threshold. USM version and phone capacity must match that of UOM. For more information on Cisco Prime Unified Service Monitor, please visit
Integration with Cisco Unified Service Statistics Manager
Integration with Cisco Unified Service Statistics Manager (USSM) provides 3-month statistics analysis and reports for Cisco Unified Communications networks. Using the data collected by Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager and Cisco Prime Unified Service Monitor, Cisco Unified Service Statistics Manager provides predefined and customizable reports that give visibility into critical metrics, including call volume, service availability, call quality, resource utilization, and capacity across the Cisco Unified Communications system. USSM version and phone capacity must match that of UOM and USM. For more information, visit
Supported Cisco Unified Communications Applications and Devices
Cisco Unified Communications Manager supports Cisco Unity
®software, Cisco Unity Connection, Cisco Unified Contact Center, Cisco Unified MeetingPlace
® Express, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, Cisco Unity Express, Cisco Unified Contact Center Express, Cisco Conference Connection, Cisco Personal Assistant, Cisco Emergency Responder, Cisco Unified Presence Server, routers, gateways, switches, and IP phones (including Cisco IP Communicator and Cisco Unified Personal Communicator).
VMware is supported on all Cisco Unified Communications Management products. To view the complete server requirements and supported configuration options for VMware and coresident applications, please refer to the Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager Installation Guide. Table 2 lists system requirements, and Table 3 lists the system capacity for a single Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager without VMware installed.
Table 2. Processing Platform Requirements*
Up to 1,000 phones and 300 IP devices
Up to 10,000 phones and 1000 IP devices
Up to 30,000 phones and 2500 IP devices
Up to 45,000 phones and 2500 IP devices
Two processors or dual core, 2 GHz minimum each
Two processors or dual core, 2 GHz minimum each
Four processors, quad core or (2) dual core, 2 GHz minimum each
Four processors, quad core or (2) dual core, 2 GHz minimum each
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition (32 bit) with Service Pack 1 or 2
Windows Server 2008 (R1) Enterprise Edition* (32/64 bit) with Service Pack 2
VMware ESXi 4.x or ESXi 5.0
84 GB recommended
Dual core, 2 GHz minimum (PC or Mac)
2 GB RAM minimum
Adobe Flash Player
Adobe Flash Player 10 or later
Microsoft Internet Explorer 8.x or 9.0
1440 x 900 minimum; higher is recommended
* Windows Server 2008 R2 Edition is not a supported operating system in the 8.7 release.
Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager 8.7 is a minor upgrade from UOM 8.0, 8.5, and 8.6. UOM 8.7 is a major upgrade from UOM 2.x, so all UOM 2.x customers will need to purchase the upgrade product number to activate UOM 8.x. The license product number includes licensing for the indicated number of phones, and these licenses can be added to increase the number of phones supported (Table 4). Cisco Prime Unified Operations Manager can be ordered as part of a Cisco Unified Communications Management Suite bundle or as a standalone product. To place an order, visit the
Cisco Ordering Homepage. The Cisco Prime Unified Communications Management Suite Ordering Guide, available to Cisco employees and partners, provides instructions on how to order Unified Operations Manager and the management product bundles that deliver significant savings over the individual product pricing. Please contact your account representative for details.
Table 4. Ordering Information
UOM 8.7, USM 8.7, USSM 8.7, Cisco Unified Provisioning Manager (UPM) 8.7 Suite Bundle 1,000 IP Phone LIC-K9
UOM 8.7, USM 8.7, USSM 8.7, UPM 8.7 Suite Bundle 5,000 IP Phone LIC-K9
UOM 8.7, USM 8.7, USSM 8.7, UPM 8.7 Suite Bundle 10,000 IP Phone LIC-K9
UOM 8.7, USM 8.7, USSM 8.7, UPM 8.7 Suite Bundle 20,000 IP Phone LIC-K9
UOM 8.7, USM 8.7, USSM 8.7, UPM 8.7 Suite Bundle 30,000 IP Phone LIC-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 500 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 1,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 2,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 5,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 10,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 20,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 30,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
UC Management Suite Mon Bundle 45,000 LIC for UOM 8.x and USM 8.x-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.7 Image - Order One to Get Access to Electronic Software Delivery Download Image for the L-UOM-B-xxx= and the L-UOM-B-xxx-UPG= Listed Below
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 500 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 1,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 2,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 5,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 10,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 20,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 30,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 45,000 IP Phone License-K9
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 500 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 1,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 2,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 5,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 10,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 20,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 30,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Unified Operations Manager 8.x Up to 45,000 IP Phone Upgrade License
Cisco Unified Communications Services
Cisco Unified Communications Services allows you to accelerate cost savings and productivity gains associated with deploying a secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution. Delivered by Cisco and our certified partners, our portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks. Our unique lifecycle approach to services enhances your technology experience to accelerate true business advantage. For more information about Cisco services, visit
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.