The proliferation of Internet-connected devices and the explosion of video and data traffic are driving complexity in the home network. Increasing numbers of new devices need to be installed and provisioned, and multiple devices running multiple applications often create resource contention within the home. These factors trigger support calls and truck rolls for the service provider, and automating and simplifying management of customer premises equipment (CPE) in home networks has become mission critical.
This creates both challenges and opportunities for service providers. While they are looking for ways to lower operating expenses and improve customer satisfaction, they are also looking to quickly deliver new and differentiated services and drive new consumer revenue opportunities. Service providers face high new customer acquisition costs, and the increase in consumer choice for broadband (DSL, cable, 3G/4G, satellite, and fiber) and over-the-top services from nontraditional providers is driving intense competition for subscriber share-of-wallet.
Cisco Prime™ Home is a cloud-based network management platform based on the Broadband Forum’s TR-069 suite of protocols to provision and manage in-home devices. The solution discovers detailed information about all connected devices in the home and provides a unified view for service providers through an easy-to-use web portal.
Features and Capabilities
Cisco Prime Home provides visibility into the home network, reduces operational costs, and improves the subscriber experience. A variety of powerful customer support tools combine to make the home network easier to set up and support.
● Multidevice management: The TR-069-compliant autoconfiguration server provides management from the network to the gateway and into the home. While the gateway is becoming an increasingly important device and control point for service providers, TR-069 can reach beyond the gateway and provide management for IP set-top boxes, next-generation converged IP set-top boxes, Network Attached Storage (NAS), femtocells, IP phones, powerline adapters, IP cameras, and more. Cisco Prime Home provides deep operational visibility into these devices and the network behind them.
● Automated remote device management functions: Cisco Prime Home allows service providers to proactively manage and maintain gateway and network health and improve operational efficiency with simplified, automated remote management on both an individual device and multidevice basis. These capabilities include the following: zero-touch provisioning, remote configuration and configuration updates, software (including firmware) upgrades, monitoring, real-time problem diagnosis, and troubleshooting of common home networking problems such as Wi-Fi, firewall, and basic broadband connectivity of devices in the home. Bulk operations help service providers lower the cost of deploying and maintaining large numbers of subscriber devices.
● Actionable information: Cisco Prime Home discovers detailed information about the devices in the home such as online/offline status, wireless signal strength, and device manufacturer. The solution abstracts this information into the cloud, extracts the relevant parameters in real time, and provides it to the service provider through an easy-to-use web portal. The customer service representative (CSR) is able to rapidly resolve the problem, thereby reducing support calls and truck rolls and lowering operating expenses.
● Report builder: Cisco Prime Home Reports supports better business decisions by providing greater visibility into home network usage and activity, home network characteristics, and service utilization. The solution allows creation of professional reports and charts for a wide array of subscriber and device information.
● Highly usable, modular, and customizable human interface: A wide range of Cisco Prime Home management tools is provided in the form of portlets that are easily added to the web portal, creating a modular and customizable user interface. Cisco Prime Home also supports a structured problem-solving approach that guides the customer care representatives through predefined processes.
● Configurable threshold-based alerts and workflows: Cisco Prime Home supports creating and scheduling procedures (workflows) in real time. The system also proactively alerts the CSR to current or possible CPE malfunctions - for example, high noise level, frequent WAN disconnects, abnormal wireless access attempts, and video on demand (VoD) malfunctions. Armed with this information, the CSR can then take action to minimize potential impact to subscribers.
● Easy integration into existing service provider systems: Web-based APIs promote ease of integration into service provider OSS/BSS systems.
● Deployment options: Cisco Prime Home is available for onsite deployment in a service provider network or may be hosted by Cisco. The latter is a service-based offering with a usage-based billing model that eliminates upfront capital expenditures, reduces recurring operational costs, and speeds deployment.
About Cisco Prime
The Cisco Prime portfolio of IT and service provider management offerings empowers organizations to more effectively manage their networks and the services they deliver. Built on a service-centered foundation, Cisco Prime supports integrated lifecycle management through an intuitive workflow-oriented user experience, providing A-to-Z management for evolved programmable networks, mobility, video, cloud, and managed services.
Service and Support
Using the Cisco® lifecycle services approach, Cisco and its partners provide a broad portfolio of end-to-end services and support that can help increase your network’s business value and return on investment. This approach defines the minimum set of activities needed, by technology and by network complexity, to help you successfully deploy and operate Cisco technologies and optimize their performance throughout the lifecycle of your network.
For More Information
For more information about Cisco Prime Home, visit http://cisco.com/go/prime-home, contact your local account representative, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.