The Bitswapping Tool provides a simple mechanism for performing bit swapping on a hexidecimal MAC address. This tool is now available as a standalone application that allows you to perform bitswapping on one or multiple MAC addresses.
- Use comma-separated values when entering multiple MAC addresses.
- The Bitswapping Tool supports only the following conventions for entering MAC addresses:
- Without spaces: 400000000001
- With dots (a.k.a. cisco): 4000.0000.0001
- With dashes (a.k.a. Dec): 40-00-00-00-00-01
- The Bitswapping Tool application source code is available as a Tcl/Tk script. For information about the application source code, see
For information about downloading and installing the Bitswapping Tool, see
The Bitswapping Tool is available for download as a binary executable for the following operating systems:
- For all other operating systems, use the application source code as described in
- Downloads are provided as archived (.zip) files and are approximately 1.5M - 2.2M each.
To install the Bitswapping Tool, complete these steps:
- Download to your local computer the appropriate .zip file for your operating system using the links provided in the
section of this document.
- Extract the .zip file.
- Launch the user interface:
- On a Windows or Mac operating system, double-click the Bitswap program.
- On a Linux or Solaris operating system, run bitswap.
Note: You might need to
add execute permissions to the binary file (
chmod u+x bitswap).
The Bitswapping Tool application source code is available for download as a Tcl/Tk script. To run this script, you must have Tcl/Tk 8.4 (or above), which is available from the
Tcl Developer Xchange
To download and run the script, complete these steps:
- If it is not already installed, download and install Tcl/Tk 8.4 (or above) as described on the
Tcl Developer Xchange
Note: Tcl/Tk 8.4 is preinstalled on Mac OS X and many Linux operating systems.
to download the Bitswapping Tool application source code script (5kb).
- Open a command prompt, and type the following wish (Windowing shell) command in order to run the Bitswapping Tool application source code script: wish bitswap_ui.tcl
We appreciate your feedback! To provide feedback on the Bitswapping Tool, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIS TOOL AND DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR USE. YOUR USE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE DOCUMENT OR TOOL IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS DOCUMENT AT ANY TIME.