Join the Cisco Manufacturing Community
Automatically be notified about:
- Complimentary Manufacturing Webcasts
- Innovative Manufacturing Case Studies
- And More
Improve Safety, Efficiency, Mobility
Cisco converged networks enable data sharing across all modes of transportation.(5:41 min)
A Better Passenger Experience
Discover how Cisco Connected Mass Transit can help improve safety, mobility and operational efficiency.
Driving Greater Safety, Efficiency and Mobility
Digitization and advances in technology along with socio-economic factors and policy are transforming the transportation industry like never before. Cisco intelligent and converged networks are forming the foundation for new infrastructures of connected roads, railways, airports, stations, and ports being built all around the world. These new digital networks can also be found onboard buses, trains, planes, ships, and connected vehicles.
Better transportation systems increase mobility and improve safety for millions of people in an environmentally conscious manner. Smart parking, traffic signals that can adapt to real-time conditions, and roads that sense the surrounding environment are becoming more common place.
This transformation creates many new and exciting opportunities to help save more lives with improved safety on our roads, rails, waterways, airways, and public transit systems. New tools for workers not only increase productivity, but also keep employees safe while reducing costs. Better asset and vehicle use, increased ridership and market share with faster travel times, and on-time delivery of people and goods are all possible today. Greater connectivity, proactive maintenance with faster diagnostics, network convergence, and new business models continue to reshape the industry
However, this transformation also creates a new set of challenges for transportation agencies, cities, governments, enterprises, service providers and systems integrators who all have increasing pressure to improve safety, mobility and operational efficiency, while reducing environmental impacts and costs all at the same time.
By moving programs and systems that use a lot of computing power to the cloud, transportation organizations can simplify their IT infrastructures. This enables new ways of communicating and collaborating while managing costs and improving operational efficiency and productivity across the entire operation.
Cisco Connected Transportation solutions are transforming the industry by:
- Converging multiple single-purpose proprietary systems into a single, powerful IP network
- Improving safety and security for better situational awareness
- Enhancing the passenger experience with onboard Wi-Fi, and 3G and 4G connectivity
- Providing end-to-end IP networks that are designed to withstand harsh environments
- Providing faster delivery and response times with real-time asset management, and vehicle and freight tracking
Cisco Validated Design Solutions for Transportation
- Cisco Connected Train for onboard, IP-based communications, including Wi-Fi services, video surveillance, and automated operations
- Cisco Connected Trackside, a ruggedized IP infrastructure that connects the train to a unified mobile-to-Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) backhaul network and, ultimately, your data center
- Cisco Connected Station, which integrates multiple in-station networks and retail communication systems into a standards-based IP network
- Cisco Positive Train Control, the industry's first end-to-end rail communications network that complies with U.S. PTC mandates. It integrates onboard, trackside, wayside signaling and back-office systems to help prevent train collisions, derailments, and other human-caused rail accidents
By securely connecting disparate intelligent transportation systems (ITS), Cisco Connected Roadways helps enable new vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) applications and help:
- Improve safety on streets, highways, bridges, and toll roads
- Reduce traffic congestion to lower fuel costs and pollution
- Deliver timely and accurate information about traffic, weather, and road conditions to motorists
- Make roadside network infrastructure more reliable, even in harsh environments
- Cities and municipalities to more easily comply with air pollution and other regulations
- Maintain mass transit schedules despite changing road conditions with traffic signal prioritization (TSP)
Cisco Connected Mass Transit capitalizes on the power of digital solutions to connect people, processes, data, and things to create a converged network infrastructure. Connected mass transit vehicles communicate with each other and the surrounding infrastructure. IP video cameras monitor and report activity in stations, at bus stops, and onboard buses, trains, trams and trolleys. Central operation centers have greater visibility and data-sharing capabilities across the entire operation. Real-time monitoring, location-based services and fleet management provides greater efficiency and better asset tracking with reduced costs.
Conquer Transportation Challenges
Improve safety and the customer experience with Cisco Validated Designs.
Industrial Ethernet Switching
Let Us Help
Innovate with Our IoT System
Learn how the Internet of Things opens new opportunities in industries like transportation.Register to Watch