Trust and Transparency Center
Cisco is committed to maintaining strong protections for our customers, products and company. We believe in building and maintaining trust, reducing risk and simply doing what is right.
Cisco Systems, Inc. and its subsidiaries (collectively "Cisco") are committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring you have a positive experience on our websites and in using our products and services ("Solution" or "Solutions"). This Privacy Statement applies to Cisco websites that link to this Statement and describes how we handle personal information. Additional information on our personal information practices may be provided in the supplements on the right or in notices provided at the time of data collection. Certain Cisco websites may have their own privacy statement that describes how we handle personal information for those websites specifically. To the extent a notice provided at the time of collection or a website-specific privacy statement conflict with this Privacy Statement, such notice or privacy statement will control.
Collection of Your Personal Information
We may collect information, including personal information, about you as you use our websites and interact with us. "Personal information" is any information that can be used to identify an individual, and may include name, address, email address, phone number, social media account information, or payment card number. If we link other data with your personal information, we will treat that linked data as personal information. We also collect personal information from trusted third-party sources and engage third parties to collect personal information to assist us.
We collect personal information for a variety of reasons, such as:
- Processing your order.
- Providing you with a newsletter subscription.
- Sending marketing communications.
- Creating an account.
- Enabling the use of certain features of our Solutions.
- Personalizing your experience.
- Providing customer service.
- Managing a job application.
- Collecting information during the testing admissions process when a computer-based certification test is administered to you.
We and the third parties we engage may combine the information we collect from you over time and across our websites with information obtained from other sources. This helps us improve its overall accuracy and completeness, and also helps us better tailor our interactions with you.
If you choose to provide Cisco with a third party's personal information (such as name, email, and phone number), you represent that you have the third party's permission to do so. Examples include forwarding reference material to a friend or job referrals.
In some instances, Cisco may automatically collect data through cookies, web logs, web beacons, and other similar applications. This information is used to better understand and improve the usability, performance, and effectiveness of the website and to help tailor content or offers for you. Please read the "Cookies and Other Web Technologies" section below for more information.
Uses of Your Personal Information
We may use your personal information for the purposes of operating our business, delivering, improving and customizing our Solutions, sending marketing and other communications related to our business, and for other legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law. Some of the ways we may use personal information include:
- Delivering a Solution you have requested.
- Supporting and improving our Solutions and your online experience.
- Personalizing websites, newsletters and other communications.
- Administering and processing your certification exams.
- Sending communications to you, including for marketing or customer satisfaction purposes, either directly from Cisco or from our partners.
You can edit your communication preferences at any time. See Your Choices and Selecting Your Communication Preferences below.
Access to and Accuracy of Your Personal Information
We need your help in keeping your personal information accurate and up to date. To update your personal information and communication preferences, please contact us. In addition, you may have the ability to view or edit your personal information online, including:
- Cisco.com – You can access and update your profile using the Cisco Profile Management Tool. You may also make these updates or request deactivation of your website profile by sending an email to our web help team.
- Webex.com – You can access and update your profile by signing into your user online account. You may also make these updates or request deactivation of your website profile by sending an email to our privacy team.
We make good faith efforts to honor reasonable requests to access or correct your data if it is inaccurate. We will respond to your request to access data within 30 days.
Some Cisco entities may be considered data controllers from time to time. When a Cisco entity is acting as a data controller, you can exercise your rights of access and request corrections or deactivations under applicable data protection laws directly with that Cisco entity.
Your Choices and Selecting Your Communication Preferences
We give you the choice of receiving a variety of information that complements our Solutions. You can manage your communication preferences through the following methods:
- By following the instructions included in each promotional email from us to unsubscribe from that particular mailing.
- By sending us a message through email or by mail to: Cisco Systems, Inc., Privacy Legal Department, 170 West Tasman Dr., San Jose, CA 95134, USA. Please be sure to include your name, email address, and specific, relevant information about the material you no longer wish to receive.
These choices do not apply to the receipt of mandatory service communications that are considered part of certain Solutions, which you may receive periodically unless you cancel the Solution in accordance with its terms and conditions. We may share your personal information with Cisco business partners or vendors, so they may share information about products or services that may be of interest to you. To opt-out of this sharing with third parties for their marketing purposes, click here.
By using our websites or providing personal information to us, you agree that we may communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the websites. If we learn of a security system's breach, we may attempt to notify you electronically by posting a notice on our websites or by sending an email to you. You may have a legal right to receive this notice in writing. To withdraw your consent from receiving electronic notice of a security breach, please notify us.
Sharing Your Personal Information
We may share your personal information for the purposes of operating our business, delivering, improving and customizing our Solutions, sending marketing and other communications related to our business, and for other legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law. We may share personal information in the following ways:
- Within Cisco or with any of our worldwide subsidiaries for purposes of data processing or storage.
- With Cisco business partners or vendors, so that they may share information with you about their products or services. To opt-out of Cisco sharing with third parties for their marketing purposes, click here.
- With business partners, service vendors, authorized third-party agents, or contractors to provide a requested service or transaction. Examples include, but are not limited to: processing of orders and credit card transactions, hosting websites, hosting seminar registration, assisting with sales-related efforts or post-sales support, and providing customer support.
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, consolidation or restructuring, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business by or to another company.
- In response to a request for information by a competent authority if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or is otherwise required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process.
- With law enforcement officials, government authorities, or other third parties as necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of Cisco, its business partners, you, or others, or as otherwise required by applicable law.
- In aggregated and/or anonymized form which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
- If we otherwise notify you and you consent to the sharing.
Security of Your Personal Information
We intend to protect the personal information entrusted to us and treat it securely in accordance with this Privacy Statement. Cisco implements physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We also require that our suppliers protect such information from unauthorized access, use and disclosure. The Internet, however, cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure, and we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information you provide to us.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information as needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. We will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
Like many websites, Cisco uses automatic data collection tools, such as cookies, embedded web links, and web beacons. These tools collect certain standard information that your browser sends to our website such as your browser type and the address of the website from which you arrived at our website. They may also collect information about:
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address. This is a number automatically assigned to your computer whenever you are surfing the web. It allows web servers to locate and identify your computer, this is a unique address assigned to your PC by your Internet service provider or information systems department on a TCP/IP network.
- Clickstream behavior. For example, the pages you view and the links you click.
Some web browsers may give you the ability to enable a "do not track" feature that sends signals to the websites you visit, indicating that you do not want your online activities tracked. This is different than blocking or deleting cookies, as browsers with a "do not track" feature enabled may still accept cookies. There is currently no industry standard for how companies should respond to "do not track" signals, although one may develop in the future. We do not respond to "do not track" signals at this time. If we do so in the future, we will describe how in this Privacy Statement. Learn more information about "do not track".
We may provide links to other third-party websites and services that are outside our control and not covered by this Privacy Statement. We encourage you to review the privacy statements posted on those websites (and all websites) you visit.
Forums and Chat Rooms
If you participate in a discussion forum or chat room on a Cisco website, you should be aware that the information you provide there will be made broadly available to others, and could be used to contact you, send you unsolicited messages, or for purposes neither Cisco nor you have control over. Also, please recognize that individual forums and chat rooms may have additional rules and conditions. Cisco is not responsible for the personal information or any other information you choose to submit in these forums.
Cisco does not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 (or as defined by local law) and does not target its websites to children under those ages. Cisco encourages parents and guardians to take an active role in their children's online activities. If we learn that we have collected personal information from children under the age of 13, we will take steps to delete such information from our systems.
Consent to Transfer, Processing and Storage of Personal Information
As Cisco is a global organization, we may transfer your personal information to Cisco in the United States of America, to any Cisco subsidiary worldwide, or to third parties and business partners as described above. By using our websites and Solutions or providing any personal information to us, you consent to the transfer, processing, and storage of such information outside of your country of residence where data protection standards may be different.
Cisco safeguards and enables the global transfer of personal information in a number of ways. Cisco previously certified under the U.S.-E.U. Safe Harbor framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal data from European Union member countries and Switzerland, though does not rely on the Safe Harbor in order to comply with EU law. Cisco has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view Cisco's certification, please visit the Safe Harbor site, http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/. Following the ruling of the European Court of Justice on October 6, 2015 regarding the validity of the Safe Harbor, and in light of evolving regulatory frameworks, Cisco may participate in other frameworks approved by relevant regulatory authorities from time to time.
Your California Privacy Rights
Cisco qualifies for the alternative option. We have a comprehensive privacy statement, and provide you with details on how you may either opt-out or opt-in to the use of your personal information by third parties for direct marketing purposes. Therefore, we are not required to maintain or disclose a list of the third parties that received your personal information for marketing purposes during the preceding year.
If you are a California resident and request information about how to exercise your third party disclosure choices, please email us your request.
Cisco Systems, Inc. has been awarded TRUSTe's Privacy Seal signifying that this privacy statement and practices have been reviewed by TRUSTe for compliance with TRUSTe's program requirements. The TRUSTe program only covers information that is collected through the websites www.cisco.com and www.webex.com, and does not cover information that may be collected through any software downloaded from these websites or information collected through Cisco Solutions. If you have questions or complaints regarding our privacy statement or practices, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact TRUSTe.
How to Contact Us
We value your opinions. Should you have questions or comments related to this Privacy Statement, please email our privacy team.
Updates to this Cisco Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we modify our Privacy Statement, we will post the revised version here, with an updated revision date. You agree to visit these pages periodically to be aware of and review any such revisions. If we make material changes to our Privacy Statement, we may also notify you by other means prior to the changes taking effect, such as by posting a notice on our websites or sending you a notification. By continuing to use our website after such revisions are in effect, you accept and agree to the revisions and to abide by them.
Revised and posted as of February 15, 2016.
Please note this version does not substantively change the way we treat personal information compared to the previous version of the privacy statement.
Supplemental Privacy Information
- AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client Supplement
- Cisco Collaborative Knowledge Supplement
- Cisco Intercloud Services Privacy Supplement
- CiscoJabberVideo.com Supplement
- Cisco Jabber Supplement
- Cisco Spark Supplement
- Cisco WebEx Files Supplement
- Cisco WebEx Meetings, Meeting Center and Event Center Supplement
- Cisco WebEx Messenger Supplement
- Cisco WebEx Telepresence Supplement
- Identity Services Engine Supplement
- Integrated Security Appliance Supplement
- Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Privacy Supplement
- Network Magic Solutions Supplement
- Networking Academy Supplement
- WebEx MeetMeNow and WebOffice Supplement
- WebEx Social Supplement
- WebEx Support Center and Training Center Supplement
How to Contact Us
Mail: Cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Dr.
San Jose, CA 95134 USA
Learn more about Data Privacy
Powering the Human Network means protecting it as well. Protecting the privacy of you and your family is important to Cisco. To help you understand how to protect your privacy, Cisco has published some helpful guidelines, both in commemoration of Data Privacy Day and on-going at Online Privacy Portal.