Updated Technical Documents
New Cisco on Cisco Website
The Cisco on Cisco website shares Cisco IT's early experiences of deploying Cisco solutions with product and services engineers to build better products and services and with customers and sales teams to help them understand the real real-world value of these solutions.
After nearly a year in the making, the newly designed Cisco on Cisco website is live. In addition to a new look and feel, changes in the site architecture and navigation make it faster and easier for you to go directly to the information you want with fewer clicks.
You can now access information using the following methods:
- Select a solution category, such as Business of IT, Data Center, Security, or Unified Communications, and choose a case study, presentation, video, or other content type
- Navigate the site by content type and then select the item you are interested in by its title
Highlights of the new Cisco on Cisco website include:
- A video welcome message from Rebecca Jacoby, senior vice president and CIO, on the About Cisco on Cisco page
- Reorganized content that is easily accessible from convenient,
- Over 15 embedded Flash videos prominently displayed on solution
category landing pages and sub-pages
- Over 100 case studies converted to the most current Cisco corporate
Word templates with the new Cisco logo
- Retitled content to enhance search engine optimization
While all case studies and best practice documents are currently provided on the website in PDF only, HTML pages are provided for users who prefer to view HTML rather than download PDF documents.
Visit the new Cisco on Cisco website today and use our resources in your sales and marketing activities.
Tell us what you think by sending your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reader Tips Available Now on the Cisco Support Wiki
Now, not only can you view Reader Tips, you can also contribute to them through the Cisco Support Wiki. Simply visit the Support Wiki homepage and click on "Tech Insights" under Additional Resources. Once you are on the Tech Insights homepage, you can select a specific Reader Tip that interests you.
Learn, innovate, and co-create on the Tech Insights homepage and begin collaborating today.
Recent Technology Terminology Update to Cisco TSRT
A new Technology -- Physical Security and Video Surveillance -- was recently added to the Cisco TAC Service Request Tool (TSRT) for use in opening service requests for products in Cisco's Physical Security portfolio. Service requests that were previously opened under Cisco Video should now be opened under this new technology.
Try the TAC Service Request Tool today.
Note: This tool is available only to registered customers with a valid service contract.
Not registered with Cisco.com? Register today and begin taking advantage of Cisco tools and information.
Experience Cisco Services at Cisco Live
Cisco Live is the venue for valuable Cisco Services educational development and networking. This year, Cisco Services invites you to:
- Explore the Cisco Services Lounge to meet informally with Cisco Services subject matter experts, take part in Rebus Madness for a chance to win an iPOD Touch, and relax in a comfortable setting.
The Cisco Services Lounge is open to all customer and partner
- Step inside the Cisco booth at the World of Solutions to learn more about Cisco Services offerings including: Learning@Cisco, Smart Call Home and GOLD Diagnostics, Cisco Remote Management and Security Services, Cisco Smart Services, Cisco Support Website, Project Management/Advanced Services, Customer Satisfaction Measurement, and Steps to Success.
- Enjoy impromptu whiteboard discussions with TAC engineers and Advanced Services Network Architects at the Technical Solutions
Clinic, and get a hands-on look at the new Cisco Support Wiki.
Join us at Cisco Live to learn more on how you can put Cisco Services expertise to work for you today.
New Cisco Product Quick Reference Guide Available for Preorder
Announcing the new Summer/Fall 2008 edition of the "Cisco Product Quick Reference Guide" -- a complete portfolio of Cisco products and solutions for every part of your business. This guide includes brief product overviews, important features, technical specifications, part numbers, and ordering information for many of Cisco's products. It meets your information needs whether you're an enterprise, a service provider, or a small or medium-sized business.
New offerings in this edition include:
- Cisco Nexus Series Switches
- Cisco Application Control Engines (ACEs)
- Cisco uBR7225 Universal Broadband Routers
- Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator
- Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series for Small Business
- Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco Catalyst 4500 E- Series Switches
- Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points
- Cisco Video Assurance Management Solution (VAMS)
- Cisco TelePresence Systems
- Cisco Digital Media Systems
- Cisco Services, and much more
For more information and to place your order, visit the "Cisco Product Quick Reference Guide" website today.
Cisco Smart Call Home Wins SSPA Award for Best Embedded Product Support
Cisco Technical Services has a reputation for award-winning exceptional customer service and network support. The newest Cisco service capability to be recognized by industry peers is Smart Call Home, awarded a 2008 SSPA STAR Award by the Service & Support Professionals Association (SSPA) for "Best Embedded Product Support."
Embedded in the latest OS release of the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series, Cisco MDS 9000 Family, and Cisco 7600 Series Router, the Smart Call Home capability offers proactive diagnostics and real-time alerts on Cisco devices. Alerts can automatically engage the Technical Assistance Center (TAC) in potential issues and determine resolution steps by the time network administrators are even aware there is a problem. Devices are continually monitored with secure, connected service. If an issue is detected, an automated service request may
be generated, including detailed diagnostics, and immediately routed to the correct TAC team.
It's easy to download and install the appropriate operating system update and then configure the Smart Call Home service feature. A Quickstart Guide is provided so that in less than 30 minutes you can start to benefit from this powerful, new diagnostic capability.
Resolution and parts replacement (if needed) can take less than one-third the time compared to the normal troubleshooting process. Mike DeDecker of Warner Pacific, a general insurance agency for insurance carriers, recently spoke about the time-saving business benefit he experienced:
"Cisco Smart Call Home allowed me to fix a network problem in about an hour that would have typically taken one of my staff two days to troubleshoot. Not only did Smart Call Home save me the operational expense of keeping one of my engineers on this issue for 48 hours, but the bigger bonus was that it kept my customer connected and happy as well."
The Smart Call Home capability is available through Cisco SMARTnet Service and Cisco SP Base Service and will be available for many other Cisco devices over the next 12 months. The Cisco Nexus 5000 and Cisco Nexus 7000 Series will be supported in June.
Cisco helps customers operate their Cisco solutions throughout their lifecycle, and this award recognizes the innovative approach Cisco has taken with Cisco Smart Call Home. The prestigious SSPA peer-recognition award honors companies that demonstrate ongoing high-level commitment to delivering world-class results in software and technical support.
According to Joe Pinto, Senior VP Cisco Technical Services, "Smart Call Home is the first of many new technical service developments on the horizon that stands to redefine technical service and support from reactive to proactive and eventually being predictive."
For detailed information, including the Warner Pacific video, visit the Smart Call Home webpage.
New Cisco Services Community for Partners
Featured at Partner Summit 2008, Cisco Services Community for Partners supports your goals for building and growing your services practice. This interactive online community for networking services professionals centralizes services tools and scripts in one convenient location for easy access and download. Collaborate with other partners and Cisco engineering professionals to reduce cycle time, improve consistency in service delivery, and solve your customers' service problems using Cisco tools.
You can now:
- Optimize tools and scripts using postings and discussion threads to
- Create a "Watch List" to track updates and discussion threads that
are of interest to you
- Track feedback on your postings or other postings of interest
- Discover new tools and scripts that can add value to customer
engagements or enhance the productivity of network, field, and
- Download any tool and modify or adjust the script to suit your needs,
saving script development time
Cisco Services Community for Partners is available free of charge to Cisco channel partners worldwide with a Cisco.com login. Join now to increase your productivity and collaborate with other partners and Cisco.
TechWiseTV: "Transforming the Data Center with Unified Fabric"
As organizations increasingly rely on information technology to enable business strategy, they require an IT infrastructure that is more powerful, agile, and cost effective. To meet this challenge, they need a single network-based data center infrastructure that unifies traditional server, storage, and network infrastructure silos to more efficiently support evolving business applications.
This episode of TechWiseTV will demonstrate how a unified fabric supporting data center Ethernet and Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) is poised to respond to this need. Some of the most distinguished networking engineers in the industry will provide expert insights into how and why these technologies are ready to dramatically transform and simplify your data center operations.
You will also see the new Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches in operation in a true multivendor environment. Discover how their unified fabric running FCoE enables you to connect LAN-based servers over the same infrastructure as Fibre Channel storage networks, reducing the number of adapters, cables, and switches by 50 percent, while lowering power and cooling costs by up to 30 percent. Learn how they give you far greater flexibility while protecting your existing equipment investments.
This 60-minute video webcast will reveal:
- Why certain protocols and technologies have flourished while others
- Why data center Ethernet is one of the biggest advances in Ethernet
technology in more than 15 years
- How FCoE combines the uncompromising performance of Fibre Channel
with the low cost and manageability of Ethernet for the best of both
- How FCoE compares to iSCSI and other protocols
- How to deploy the Cisco Nexus 5000 Series to take advantage of a
unified fabric now while helping ensure backward compatibility with
your existing switches and preserving your current data center
Learn more and register to view today.
New Cisco Product Documentation Available Online
"What's New in Cisco Product Documentation" is an online publication that provides information about the latest documentation releases for Cisco products. Updated monthly, this online publication is organized by product category to direct you quickly to the documentation for your products.
In addition to many new and revised documents, highlights of the June release include documentation for the following:
- Cisco Application eXtension Platform
- Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco IOS Master Command List, All Releases
View the latest release of "What's New in Cisco Product Documentation" online or as an RSS feed today.
With a Cisco Production Documentation DVD subscription, you can have the latest product documentation sent to you each month ensuring this useful information is available to you anywhere, anytime. Now with subscriptions available outside the United States, this useful DVD enables you to access product documentation to help you install, configure, maintain, and support your Cisco hardware and software when you are not connected to the Internet. The DVD also contains an archive of field notices, alerts, troubleshooting tips, and much more.
Visit the Product Documentation Store to get your Cisco Production Documentation DVD. Order a single unit or subscription and get a complimentary booklight (while supplies last).
Upcoming "Ask the Expert" Events and TechTalks from Networking Professionals Connection
Networking Professionals Connection (NetPro) is an interactive website where you can discuss Cisco networking products and technologies with Cisco experts and networking professionals around the world.
Upcoming events on Networking Professionals Connection include:
- " Ask the Expert" events, which allow you to discuss specific networking issues online with Cisco engineers:
- "Hosted Unified Communications Services," now through June 27
- "Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System 1440," now through June 27
- "Configuring and Troubleshooting the Application Control Engine," June 30 through July 11
Note: "Ask the Expert" events are subject to rescheduling. Please refer to the URL above for the most current schedule.
- TechTalks are online Webcasts that focus on particular technology subjects. You can view the latest event schedule, register to attend a live session, and view archived presentations on the Web any time.
To attend an event or participate in a discussion forum, visit Networking Professionals Connection.
About This Newsletter
Some links in this newsletter expire 180 days after publication. To use links after 180 days, please view the online version of this newsletter.
Forget Your User ID or Password?
Your user ID is usually your first initial followed by your last name; for example, John Doe's user ID might be "jdoe." If you cannot remember your password, send a blank email message to email@example.com. An automatic check will verify that your email address is registered with Cisco.com. Account details with a new random password will be sent in an email to you.
Attachments and Viruses:
To help prevent the spread of computer viruses, we never send Cisco Technical Support News emails with attachments, although some email clients such as AOL might recognize embedded pictures as attachments. We always send Cisco Technical Services News e-mails from valid Cisco domains (cisco.com or emessage.cisco.com), and we encourage you to run updated virus-scanning software on your computer systems whenever you are connected to the Internet.
Email us your questions and comments.
© 1992-2008 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.