Cisco.com Redesign - NEW:
New Organization to Improve Navigation, Highlight Timely Content
A newly designed Cisco.com Website (www.cisco.com) will be available soon. Based on customer feedback, we're reorganizing the website's links and content to better support your high-priority and frequent online tasks and to continually improve your overall Web experience at Cisco.com.
Here are some key features of the new website:
- Three primary links -- Products & Solutions, Ordering, and Technical Support -- will make site navigation easier and shorten your search for the information you need.
- Improved search functionality -- including descriptive summaries, link titles, and spelling checks of your search text -- will generate more accurate and relevant results. Refined options for sub-site searches will allow you to limit searches to the Technical Support and Documentation content to locate targeted information quickly. "Cisco Recommendations" will highlight suggested targets of your search request.
- Helpful and timely announcements, such as security alerts and upcoming events, will be listed on the site's homepage under "News."
For a demo of the new Cisco.com homepage, please visit one of the following URLs:
(available to registered users)
(available to non-registered users)
Networking Professionals Connection - UPDATE:
Upcoming "Ask the Expert" Events
Networking Professionals Connection is an interactive website where you can discuss Cisco networking products and technologies with Cisco experts and networking professionals around the world.
The following "Ask the Expert" events allow you to discuss specific networking issues online with Cisco engineers:
- "Metropolitan Mobile Networks," now through January 30
- "Remote Access VPN Solutions," now through January 30
- "Loadbalancing with Content Services Switches (CSS) and Content Switching Module (CSM)," now through January 30
- "Cisco Optical Infrastructure Solutions for Cable Multi-Service Operators," February 2-13
- "Cisco Unity™ and Active Directory Integration," February 2-13
- "Troubleshooting Access Server Connectivity Issues," February 2-13
TechTalks are online webcasts that focus on particular technology areas. You can view the latest schedule, register to attend a live session, and view archived presentations on the Web anytime:
Visit the Networking Professionals Connection today to attend an event or participate in a discussion forum:
CCIE® Central - UPDATE:
Industry Accolades, New and Updated Exams, New Lab Equipment
CCIE recently received recognition from two networking industry groups for technical excellence. The program also has some new and updated exams to announce, as well as plans to add new lab equipment.
Here are the details:
- CCIE was recently acknowledged as "the number two Hottest Exam for 2004" by CertCities.com, and as "Best Hands-On Program" and "Most Technically Advanced Program" by Certification Magazine. In addition, Certification Magazine's annual salary survey for 2003 showed CCIE certification was the most lucrative professional credential, with an average reported annual salary of $96,870.
- Updated Dial Exam -- A newly updated version of the CCIE Service Provider Dial exam (formerly the C&S Dial exam) is now available. This exam covers new dial technologies, including Universal Port and Cisco Access Solutions.
- New written exams for Service Provider-Content Networking and Security completed beta testing earlier this month. The CCIE program plans to release the exams to testing centers in February.
- On February 2, the CCIE program will add the E1 wide-area digital transmission protocol to its CCIE Voice lab in San Jose. The E1 protocol is predominately used in Europe to carry data at rates of 2.048 Mbps.
For more information on the CCIE program and to sign up for exams, visit the CCIE Website at:
New Technical Tips
Cisco IOS® Software
IOS® Upgrade May Cause Partial Configuration Loss on WS-X6182-2PA Linecard
802.1q Trunking on the CSS 11000
Determining the Version of Software Running on the CSS 11000
Disk Setup on the CE during Upgrade from Version 2 to 3
Connect the CSS 11000 to a Catalyst® 6000 with the Gigabit Ethernet Interface
Sample Keepalive Script to Open and Close a Socket on the User-Specified Ports
CDN Hardware and Software Compatibility Matrix
Sample Keepalive Script to Ping serverAddress
Sample Keepalive Script to Check the Web Page for the Webstring
Sample Keepalive Script to Connect to/Disconnect from an SSL Web Server Running with a Non-Encrypted Handshake
Sample Keepalive Script to Check a List of Interfaces That Users Pass on the Command Line
Sample Keepalive Script to Detect Any 500 Series Error
Understanding and Applying UDP, Content Rules, and Source Groups on the CSS 11000
Enabling Web Management and Maintenance on the CSS 11000
Configuration of the Content Switching Module on a Catalyst 6000 Running Hybrid Mode
Files with Special Characters in ECDN
Adaptive Session Redundancy (ASR) Does Not Function between Cisco CSS 11500 Series Content Services Switches Running Certain Versions of WebNS Software
Password Recovery Procedure for the Cisco CSS 115xx ODM
Cisco Security Advisory: Vulnerability in Authentication Library for ACNS
Customer Contact Software
Why Is the Voice Playback Slow and Distorted?
Login to Cisco Collaboration Server Fails due to RMI Registry Port Conflict
WebView Report Link Returns "The Page Cannot Be Found" in Cisco E-Mail Manager Option
Cisco ICM Error 9934: Unable to Initialize Real-Time Feed
Cisco CRS Error Message: "FCVRS228 SQL Query Failed with SQL Error..."
Spectrum PIM Asserts due to Unused Agent Group
Why Do Rejected E-Mail Messages Repeatedly Appear in the Inbox Detailed Screen?
How Can I Access the Node Count for a Particular Node in a Particular Script?
Can I Upgrade Cisco IP ICD Standard to Cisco IP ICD Enhanced?
How Do I Setup an Enterprise Data Screen Pop?
IP Routing and Routed Protocols
GRE Tunnel with VRF
Cisco Security Advisory: Cisco FWSM Vulnerabilities
CiscoWorks Wireless LAN Solution Engine: Lack of Disk Space Error
15530-LCMB-0200 Requires Cisco Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) Version 2.38 or Later
ONS 15800 CMP-W-2E= May Be Incorrectly Programmed as CMP-W
ONG ONS 15327 - False NE Power Failure Alarm
Cisco 3600 Series Router Architecture
Cisco 12000 Series Internet Router: GRP/GRP-B to PRP Upgrade Procedure
Security and VPN
Configuring Cisco Secure ACS for Windows v3.2 with PEAP-MS-CHAPv2 Machine Authentication
Cisco Secure ACS for Windows v3.2 with EAP-TLS Machine Authentication
Configuring the Cisco Router and VPN Clients Using PPTP and MPPE
Configuring the PIX® Firewall to Send Authenticated Usernames to a Websense Server
Manually Uninstalling Cisco Security Agent 4.0
Blocking Peer-to-Peer File Sharing Programs with the PIX Firewall
Cisco Security Advisory: Cisco PIX Vulnerabilities
How to Identify a Cisco CallManager Restart as a Crash or Service Shutdown
How to Troubleshoot Roaming Problems for a Cisco Wireless IP Phone 7920
Cisco Security Advisory: Unity™ Vulnerabilities on IBM-based Servers
Universal Voice Module May Reset if CAS Signaling Is Incorrect
To view past issues of this newsletter, please visit:
About This Newsletter
Forget Your User ID or Password?
Your user ID is usually your first initial followed by your last name; for example, John Doe's user ID might be "jdoe." If you can't remember your password, send a blank e-mail message to
firstname.lastname@example.org. An automatic check will verify that your e-mail address is registered with Cisco.com. Account details with a new random password will be sent in an e-mail to you.
Attachments and Viruses:
To help prevent the spread of computer viruses, we never send Cisco Technical Support News e-mails with attachments, although some e-mail clients such as AOL might recognize embedded pictures as attachments. We always send Cisco Technical Support News e-mails from valid Cisco domains (cisco.com or emessage.cisco.com), and we encourage you to run updated virus-scanning software on your computer systems whenever you are connected to the Internet.
We use pixel tags in e-mail messages in conjunction with cookies to help us determine if our communications are useful to readers like you.
Copyright© 2004 Cisco Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. Cisco, Cisco Systems, the Cisco Systems logo, Catalyst, CCIE, Cisco IOS, Cisco Unity, IOS, PIX, and Unity are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document or Website are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. (0303R)
To see additional legal information and important notices from Cisco, visit: