The Bureau of Industry and Security, a division of
the U.S. Department of Commerce, is the agency in
charge of the development, implementation and interpretation
of U.S. export control policy for dual-use commodities,
software, and technology. The rules pertinent to export
compliance are governed by the Export Administration Regulations.
It is the goal of Cisco Global Export Trade team to observe and comply with
all U.S. and international export-related regulations. Global Export Trade actively
maintains policies and procedures to help that ensure compliance with deemed
Deemed Export Definition
A deemed export release in the United States is a release of
technology or source code that is subject to the Export Administration
Regulations to a foreign national. Such release is "deemed" to be an export
to the home country or countries of the foreign national.
Release of technology includes access by the following means:
- Visual inspection (such as reading technical specifications, plans, blueprints, etc.).
- Oral exchange of technology, including when technology is made available by practice
or application under the guidance of persons with knowledge of the technology.
- Posting information on a website or FTP site for downloading.
- Specific information related to all stages prior to serial production,
such as design, design research, design analyses, design concepts, assembly
and testing of prototypes, pilot production schemes, design data, process of
transforming design data into a product, configuration design, integration design,
- Specific information related to all production stages, such as product
engineering, manufacture, integration, assembly (mounting), inspection, testing,
and quality assurance
- Specific information related to an item's operation, installation
(including onsite installation), maintenance (checking), repair, overhaul,
Cisco's Controlled Technologies
- Total Digital Transfer Rate Exceeding 120 Gbps.
- Optical Switching.
- Signaling System 7 (SS7).
Deemed Export Exemptions
Any foreign national is subject to the deemed export rule except:
- A foreign national that has been granted U.S. citizenship.
- A foreign national that has been granted permanent residence status (i.e., a green card holder).
- A foreign national that has been granted status as a "protected individual"
(political refugees and political asylum holders) under U.S. law.
Designated Country Group List
D:1 County Group
E:1 Country Group
| North Korea
An individual from Cuba requires a license for employment even if restricted
access is not required.
It is beyond the scope of this site to offer counseling or legal advice on
export compliance issues. Please contact the relevant government agencies
for counseling and guidance on export licensing and other issues, and for
access to the latest information on embargoes and denial lists.
Bureau of Industry and Security:
Contact Information Within Cisco
For general inquiries, please contact the foreign national
alias at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Derek Joe (Manager, Global Export Trade) may be reached via e-mail at