The Cisco Environmental Management System minimizes impact to the environment in the definition, design, manufacture, support, and use of our solutions (products, activities, and services) by reusing, recycling, and adopting processes that conserve raw materials, energy, and water. Cisco is committed to:
- Compliance with relevant environmental legislation, regulations, and other requirements to meet customer and community needs and expectations
- Promoting the prevention of pollution
- Continual improvement of our environmental management system
The Cisco Environmental Management System is a continual cycle of planning, implementing, reviewing, and improving Cisco processes and actions to meet its environmental obligations. It serves as a vehicle to ensure that activities, products, and services conform to the ISO 14001 standard and environmental requirements.Environmental Programs and Resources
Cisco has implemented various environmental programs to help minimize our impact on the environment and achieve our environmental objectives:
- Waste Reduction and Recycling - Helps to make Cisco an environmentally responsible company by using the principles of reducing, reusing, and recycling.
- Scrap Management - Uses Cisco's Internet capability to exchange excess components, materials, and equipment of all types. This program provides resources for the scrapping of any item, when necessary, in an environmentally sound manner.
- Design for Environment (DfE) - Cisco is in the process of creating a DfE tool to be incorporated into the product design process. This program will also include Product Take-back and Restricted Substances policies.
- Hazardous Materials Management - Ensures safe and proper management of hazardous materials and waste, including their handling, disposal, storage, and shipment, as well as ensuring compliance with company and legal requirements pertaining to the management of hazardous waste.
- Energy Management - Focuses on improving energy efficiency in building design and construction, energy conservation best practices in existing and future facilities, reducing energy costs through long-term price contracts, identifying opportunities in new and innovative programs offered through utility companies and with local, state, and national agencies, and on continuously raising energy awareness among Cisco employees.
- Alternative Transportation - Provides Cisco employees with the information, resources, and incentives to help them choose an alternative method of commuting to Cisco sites.
For more information or to ask questions about the Cisco Environmental Management System, send an e-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org.