Responsibility and Dedication
Technology is perhaps the most significant change agent in the world today. Our technology promotes collaboration as well as the communication of ideas and information to run businesses, modernize governments, support education, and stimulate economic development. The spirit of our company vision, "Changing the way the world works, lives, plays, and learns," is present in all of our engagements as a global business leader and as a corporate citizen.
From a business standpoint, we are dedicated to listening to the needs of our customers, employees, partners, and shareholders. From a social standpoint, our strategic partnerships and investments are designed to maximize positive social impact by using technology as a platform for social and economic change. From an environmental standpoint, we are striving to improve our energy efficiency, cut our emissions, and increase the recyclability of our products.
At Cisco we strive to meet these goals in ways both large and small. Large-scale initiatives coupled with individual innovations, shape and drive the evolution of our social programs. Some examples of our progress this past year include the following:
- Collaborating with Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory to research innovations in product design for energy efficiency.
- Managing e-waste by designing our products for longer life and by recovering and recycling equipment in an environmentally sound manner.
- Reducing our environmental footprint through green building design, energy monitoring, and renewable energy procurement.
- Designing products that are accessible to people with special needs. In May 2006, Cisco received the Helen Keller Achievement Award from the American Foundation for the Blind in recognition of our industry leadership in making products accessible to people with vision loss.
- Contributing to safer and healthier communities by investing in education, from our Global Education Initiative in partnership with the World Economic Forum to our 21st Century Schools investment program in Mississippi and Louisiana.
At Cisco we believe that corporations have a responsibility to consider the broader effects of their operations on the communities in which they do business. Cisco's citizenship practices demonstrate our culture of giving back, our commitment to social responsibility, and our understanding that our actions improve the health of our business as well as the health of the global community.
John T. Chambers
President and Chief Executive Officer