Expo Delegates to Get a Front Row View of 135,000 Horsepower and the Future of Technology
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – February 27, 2013: Visitors to this year's Cisco® Expo 2013 South Africa will have the opportunity to have hands-on experiences of leading technologies. The experience that is sure to attract the most attention will be the Cisco sponsored BLOODHOUND Supersonic Car (SSC) simulation that will give delegates an idea of what it would be like to drive at 1,600 km/h.
The BLOODHOUND SSC is a jet and rocket powered car that will arrive in South Africa towards the end of this year for a series of test runs, before it attempts to break the world land speed record in 2014. The tests (which will in themselves break the sound barrier) and the record attempt itself will take place on Hakskeenpan in the Northern Cape where a vast area of desert is currently being cleared of 6,000 tons of stones to prepare the desert track.
Delegates will also be able to experience Cisco technologies that are shaping the future at The World of Solutions, an exhibition area set up to complement the various conference tracks at the expo by bringing those presentations to life and demystifying the technologies being discussed. Cisco and its partners will have stands, manned by their best and brightest, to help delegates touch and experience the various technologies and gain a true understanding of how these will impact the future.
Some of the technologies that will be on display include the following:
- Cisco BYOD Smart Solution – provides a comprehensive approach to effectively design, manage, and control the access of a bring-your-own-device (BYOD) network. Cisco BYOD enhances user experiences and productivity starting with Cisco design guides and professional services that leads from planning and design to day-to-day operations. This BYOD solution also provides the necessary infrastructure including access points, controllers, security and network management
- Cisco Demo Room – Unified Communications (UC) is defined as the integration of real-time communications such as voice, video, instant messaging and presence and for most users UC is about how these integrate with their desktop and mobile environment. In the Cisco Demo Room, participants will get to see the Cisco Collaboration technology in action. It will give participants the opportunity to experience how Cisco's Collaboration technology would transform their business. Experts will also be available to talk about the integration requirements and delve into the Cisco architecture solution components for desktop and mobile UC. Attendees will have the opportunity to engage with various smart devices from Samsung and Apple, all fully loaded with Cisco technology.
- Cisco WebEx – a system that enables greater cross-company collaboration, where individuals can easily access and work together on files and presentations in the cloud from their PC or mobile device in real time at any time. Users can see whether their colleagues are available and initiate conversations over Instant Messaging (IM), in order to prepare, collaborate and follow up. They can also schedule meetings and share agendas, notes, action items, recordings and any other relevant documents at any time.
- Cisco Jabber is a UC client application that streamlines communications and enhances productivity with integrated presence, instant messaging, voice and video, voice messaging, desktop sharing, and conferencing capabilities. It provides the best user experience across the broadest range of platforms, browsers and devices. Users can use Jabber as a rich desktop client, a mobile client, a web client or a virtualised client on PC, Mac, tablet and smartphone. Cisco Jabber also integrates with other Cisco Collaboration solutions such as Cisco TelePresence video and Cisco Webex.
- Cisco Digital Media Suite (DMS) – DMS is a comprehensive offering of webcasting and video sharing, digital signage, and business IP-based broadcast television (IPTV) applications, that can help transform how organisations learn, grow, communicate, and collaborate. The Cisco Digital Media Manager (DMM), an integrated component of DMS, is a web-based media-management application that helps you easily manage, schedule, and publish digital media to displays (Cisco Digital Signs and Cisco Cast) and through the web to the desktop (Cisco Show and Share)
- Cisco Virtualisation Experience Infrastructure (VXI) – Cisco VXI is an open, validated virtual workspace solution that integrates products and technologies across Cisco's network-based architectures – from Collaboration to Borderless Networks to the Data Centre as well as from partners. Cisco VXI also reduces the total cost of ownership of desktop virtualisation solutions by significantly increasing the number of virtual desktops that can be hosted on each server.
- Cisco Physical Security – Cisco recently unveiled the latest addition to its security portfolio, Video Surveillance Manager 7.0, which makes it possible for customers in healthcare, public sector and retail to move beyond traditional basic safety and security surveillance deployments and use video to transform the way they run their businesses; through hyper-scalability and ease of configuration. The new integrated solutions include a complete new line of medianet-enabled high definition IP video surveillance cameras, an extension of its medianet strategy, and remote management services. All of these are designed to help IT and security teams partner to implement very-large scale video deployments. These integrated solutions help to extend Cisco's medianet strategy by providing robust scalability, network aware intelligence, streamlined implementation and simplified management.
Leon Wright, Chief Technical Officer, Cisco South Africa
“In my own experience, barriers are broken down when technology works for me and that is what we are striving to accomplish with The World of Solutions. The true value of technology can only be unlocked once a user has immersed him or herself in it, so as to fully understand and appreciate the benefits that could be achieved for the individual or an organisation. We will be complimenting the local Cisco team with a significant contingent of international skills from around the globe, all leading experts from both Cisco and our partners, and with the assistance of such an amazing group of people we are sure to break down those barriers during Cisco Expo 2013 South Africa.”
Links / URLs:
To learn more about Cisco Expo 2013 visit: http://www.ciscoexpo.co.za
About Cisco Systems: Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.