RSS Feed for Cisco: Subscribe
New telepresence, unified communications, enterprise social-software, and hosted email technologies facilitate fundamental changes to how organizations communicate and collaborate
Bangkok 5-01-2010 – Cisco today announced significant product introductions across all categories of its collaboration portfolio. The company also announced its entrance into two new markets, enterprise social software and hosted email, with the goal of bringing the collaborative power of online social communities to businesses.
The new product introductions span real-time and collaboration applications, and collectively take advantage of the power of video and voice-based communications to help enable natural, person-to-person and business-to-business collaboration across all media and devices.
New Cisco TelePresence, Cisco Unified Communications, and Cisco WebEx solutions raise the bar for inter-company collaboration by delivering rich video, voice, and presence capabilities across and between organizations.
Among the new unified communications products offered today are technologies which help enable secure business-to-business communications over any IP network offering differentiated capabilities for Service Providers.
New Cisco enterprise instant messaging (IM) and presence solutions powered by Jabber XMPP help people quickly find, connect and collaborate with colleagues inside and outside their organization.
A Cisco-hosted directory of organizations and locations with Cisco TelePresence simplifies the scheduling of intercompany telepresence meetings.
Cisco's new enterprise social software solutions include a new social video system which helps enable companies to form secure video communities around user-generated content under enterprise control.
Cisco's hosted email offering, based on the Postpath acquisition, allows IT to move to cloud efficiencies while leveraging their current investment in the Microsoft Outlook client.
Also announced today, new medianet-enabled products deliver better collaborative experiences for end-users across heterogeneous devices, applications and clients. A medianet is an intelligent network optimized for rich media.
New media processing engine solutions offer speech-to-text transcription and provide real-time video transcoding, enabling any content to be shared across the network to any end-point device, including HD interoperability for Cisco TelePresence.
An innovative search platform performs dynamic tagging of content as it traverses the network, offering a real-time organization-wide cross-application view that allows people to accurately locate and rapidly connect with the best available experts and information they need.
The new product introductions announced today are offered to customers as on-premise, on-demand or software-as-a-service solutions, or blended approaches, and can be deployed on a sliding scale of consumption based on business process needs, rather than information technology constraints.
New telepresence and unified communications solutions deliver rich business-to-business communications across organizational boundaries
- Intercompany Cisco TelePresence Directory is a Cisco-hosted directory of endpoints, organizations and people with access to Cisco TelePresence endpoints. The directory features a virtual assistant to assist with scheduling meetings between the more than 1000 rooms and 75 customers on Cisco TelePresence exchanges.
- Cisco TelePresence WebEx Engage is a simple, one-button initiation and scheduling solution with video integration between Cisco TelePresence and Cisco WebEx conferencing. Cisco TelePresence WebEx Engage, combines the ease-of-use and broad reach of Cisco TelePresence and Cisco WebEx Meeting Center
- The Cisco Intercompany Media Engine gives end-users business-to-business communications over any IP network, maximizing network efficiency and reducing costs. This new solution, submitted today to the Internet Engineering Task Force for standardization, includes features such as business-to-business wide band audio, voice and other collaboration capabilities, including video, with multiple levels of built-in security, and will add additional capabilities in the future. Service providers will benefit from the ability to offer new business-to-business communications services, differentiated network capabilities, and expanded managed services.
- With Cisco Unified Communications system 8.0, Cisco extends support for a wide range of endpoints including new video- and WiFi-enabled Cisco Unified IP Phones and additional smartphones via Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator. Cisco UC 8.0 also offers customers a choice of deployment models – whether on-premise, on-demand, or hybrid.
- Further details about today's Unified Communications 8.0 news are available here.
Mail, messaging and presence tools
Cisco WebExTM Mail is a new corporate-grade, hosted email solution from Cisco with native Microsoft Outlook interoperability, optimized mobile device support, and browser-independent AJAX web 2.0 access. Using technology acquired from PostPath, Cisco WebEx Mail has a highly scalable infrastructure that overcomes the limitations of traditional mailbox size. Cisco WebEx Mail is on-demand, highly available, and designed to free IT departments from the burden of email infrastructure management and operation.
- Using technology gained through the acquisition of Jabber, Cisco today announced it has integrated the XMPP standard to provide secure, federated presence across its collaboration portfolio, starting with Cisco WebEx Connect Instant Messaging and Cisco Unified Presence 8.0. This announcement showcases Cisco's commitment to deliver standards-based solutions to drive greater interoperability across clients, devices and applications. The XMPP open standard allows presence federation among presence systems, both business and consumer, as well as support for third party enterprise instant messaging clients and applications.
Cisco breaks new ground with enterprise social software offerings
Cisco is introducing enterprise-ready social software solutions that allow customers to dynamically form teams and communities in a highly secure manner. Cisco's technology helps enable teams to be formed based on expertise and relevance, regardless of location, and brings experts together with both asynchronous tools and real-time voice and video.
- Cisco Show and Share is a social video system that helps organizations create and manage highly secure video communities to share ideas and expertise, optimize global video collaboration, and personalize the connection between customers, employees, and students, with user-generated content. It allows organizations to record, edit and share video with comments, ratings, tagging and RSS feeds, and speech-to-text transcripts can be uploaded for easy video search and viewing.
- Cisco Enterprise Collaboration Platform is an enterprise-class social software portal that features a corporate directory with social networking capabilities. It allows users to create team spaces and community environments 'on the fly' and also offers a customizable framework for integration of legacy business applications and web 2.0 content. Unlike today's document-centric portals, the Cisco Enterprise Collaboration Platform is people-centric, facilitating real-time voice and video communication to connect people, communities, and information to make faster business decisions.
Cisco offers customers new medianet-ready devices that optimize networks for video, voice and collaboration
Cisco introduced three new, network-based devices that help customers evolve their IP networks to medianets. In combination with the recently introduced Cisco Integrated Services Routers Generation 2, customers can now enrich their existing collaboration capabilities with new, network-based functionality.
- From the Cisco Media Processing family, the Cisco Media Experience Engine 3500 and the Cisco Media Experience Engine 5600 provide real-time video transcoding, allowing any content,to be shared across the network to any end-point device. Innovative features such as speech-to-text transcription of videos will help enable video on the network to become as searchable and accessible as text and web pages today. The MXE 5600 also facilitates standards-based interoperability across many video endpoints, allowing for Cisco TelePresence to interoperate with video conferencing devices from other companies.
- Cisco Pulse is an innovative search platform that performs dynamic tagging of content as it traverses the network, offering a real-time, cross application view of the entire organization. This intelligence allows people to accurately locate and rapidly connect with the best available experts and information they need.
Customer and Executive Quotes:
- "Collaboration is the foundation of our One HSBC strategy. We design, build, and deploy the products, systems and processes to serve our global customers by leveraging the skill and insight of colleagues in dozens of countries," said Ken Harvey, chief information officer, HSBC. "Collaboration technology and management process is about creating an environment rich enough to allow the human fabric of teamwork to develop."
- "There are a few key trends that are creating a need for organizations to change the way they operate; globalization, consumerization of IT, information overload, and increased worker mobility," said Tony Bates, senior vice president and general manager, enterprise, commercial and small business, Cisco."Cisco's collaboration strategy and portfolio is designed specifically to enable this new way of working. Solutions can be implemented on-premise, taking advantage of existing infrastructure, or via a hosted SaaS solution or a combination of the two. They can be deployed in any order and at a pace that matches a company's business objectives."
Cisco, collaboration, unified communications, intercompany collaboration, enterprise, social software, enterprise social software, WebEx, Cisco WebEx, email, cloud computing, SaaS, on-premise, on-premises, hosted applications, presence federation, enterprise instant messaging, on-demand, XMPP, presence, directory, tagging