Latest innovations provide high performance, high density solutions
for cloud, virtual desktop and wired-wireless environments
October 5, 2010 - Cisco announced today new products and services across all the functional elements of its Borderless Network Architecture - the switching, routing, security, and wireless portfolios. Notable additions include the highest-performing and high-density Catalyst switch, Adaptive Security Appliance firewall and compact ASR 1000 router in their classes; new entry-level 802.11n wireless access points for smaller businesses; and new and enhanced smart services offerings.
Additionally, a new network service was announced to accelerate application performance physically and virtually (Application Velocity Network Service).
High Performance/High Density Innovations:
The new products and professional and technical services Cisco announced today extend the Borderless Networks portfolio to address the growing need for high-performance, reliable and secure application delivery from a smaller number of consolidated data centers to a growing number of wired and wireless endpoints, while optimizing overall resource utilization and footprint.
End User Security and Energy Saving Enhancements:
- The Cisco Catalyst 4500E Series switch, the industry's most widely deployed modular platform, raises the bar in performance for campus switching by delivering 848 Gbps of system bandwidth and the highest density of 384 Power over Ethernet Plus (PoEP) capable ports. With the new Supervisor Engine 7-E, the Catalyst 4500E also drives market transitions from 1G Fiber to 10G Fiber as a price/performance aggregation switch with 100 ports at 10G. Fully loaded with hardware-accelerated Borderless Network Services like Medianet, EnergyWise, and TrustSec, it is now powered by Cisco IOS XE Software enabling delivery of 3rd party services. The Catalyst 4500E delivers best-in-class access resiliency with sub-10 millisecond supervisor failover utilizing the In Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) functionality and enriched application visibility with Flexible NetFlow. The new switch can provide investment protection with backward and forward compatibility.
- The Cisco ASA 5585-X Adaptive Security Appliance delivers MultiScaleTM performance in a compact 2 RU form factor. The ASA 5585-X provides new levels of speed and scale supporting 20 Gbps of multi-protocol throughput and 35 Gbps of large packet throughput of maximum firewall performance, 10,000 VPN connections, 350,000 connections per second and 8 million total connections, along with industry leading threat defense from IPS and always-on remote access using Cisco AnyConnect. Ideal for mission-critical data centers, it provides a security system that sets the bar for performance with eight times the performance density of its competitors.
- The Cisco ASR 1001 router is the industry's most compact edge routing solution at 1RU and the highest performance router for its size. It delivers up to 5Gbps performance throughput with services turned on, enabling deployment agility in high-end Enterprise branch, WAN Edge and Managed Services environments. The Cisco ASR 1001 supports an on-demand performance upgrade from 2.5Gbps to 5Gbps as well as incremental services on-demand.
- The Aironet 1040 Series Access Point expands Cisco's mobility portfolio and accelerates adoption of 802.11n by providing enterprise performance with an entry-level price, reduced operational complexity and a competitive feature set.
Deployment and Optimization Innovations:
- AnyConnect 3.0 further expands network endpoint capabilities with new IPSEC IKEv2 support in addition to SSL and DTLS, an integrated 802.1X supplicant, and 802.1AE MACSec support. This new release of AnyConnect also supports hybrid secure mobility deployments by extending protection to mobile workers through ScanSafe cloud security services as well as on-premise Web security appliances. Finally, industry adoption for AnyConnect continues at a rapid pace with support for Apple OSX, Apple iOS, Windows 7, and additional mobile platforms.
- EnergyWise can deliver even more cost savings by rapidly growing Cisco Developer Network (CDN) partnerships to include leading data center physical infrastructure provider, APC by Schneider Electric, and smart power distribution unit (PDU) manufacturers including Cyber Switching, Raritan, Server Technology and WTI. This broadens the reach of EnergyWise to include clientless devices like printers, copy machines, and digital media displays, managed at the plug level, and to the data center, providing a solution that monitors the power usage for all the devices in the data center racks.
- SBA Enterprise a series of prescriptive blueprints to help simplify a phased approach to planning and deployment, lets customers with up to 10,000 connected devices deploy Borderless Networks using Cisco tested and validated solutions.
- CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution 4.0
provides a comprehensive and fully integrated management tool with intuitive work centers to automate workflows and ease deployment for Borderless Network services such as EnergyWise and TrustSec, in addition to simplifying monitoring and troubleshooting the network.
- Cisco is also announcing new and enhanced smart services to help customers realize the full value of their network investments. The new Cisco Smart Net Total Care Service, which scales to large enterprises, provides IT professionals the unique ability to see exactly what is going on in their networks, allowing them to increase operational efficiency, reduce risk, and lower support costs on a proactive basis. For mid-market customers, Cisco is significantly expanding the scope of Smart Care, which combines complementary strengths of Cisco Services and its certified partners, to cover more products and much larger networks, and deliver proactive, network-level support.
- Jake Seitz, Enterprise Architect, CoreLogic: "Work is not a place-it's a thing you do. Our employees are highly mobile. They need to communicate and collaborate and get the right information when they are with our customers; Cisco's Borderless Network is already a big part of our solution for enabling that. The solutions announced today show Cisco has the vision to make certain our business demands never exceed our infrastructure capabilities."
- Steve Brookman, Global Head of Communications, Man Investments:"Man has chosen the Cisco Catalyst 4500E Supervisor 7-E as the strategic Campus Switching platform of choice for our medium to large office locations. New features such as Flexible NetFlow will give our Operations team an insight into the use of the network at the edge that previously was not possible. During testing we have been particularly impressed with both the performance and reliability of the ISSU feature, as well as the maturity and flexibility of the 802.1x feature set. We also believe that the exponential increase in hardware resources from previous models within this platform provides the ability to support new features in the future and offers excellent investment protection."
- Brett Galloway, Senior Vice President, Wireless, Security & Routing Technology Group, Cisco Systems."IT managers want to use the network to support the needs of the business. But the business is changing and IT mangers are under increasing pressure to make the network available to anyone, anywhere, anytime and on any device-in a secure, reliable, seamless manner. This is precisely the challenge that the Cisco Borderless Network was designed to address. This third expansion of the Borderless Networks portfolio is designed to help customers reach new levels of innovation and participation by engaging their customers and employees to create entirely new ways of doing business."
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Tel: +30 2106381457