Two Companies to Explore Potential Joint Opportunities of Deploying New Smart City Concepts in the Dubai Design District
Dubai, UAE, 15th October 2014 – Dubai Design District (d3) announced today that it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Cisco to explore potential joint opportunities in deploying new smart services and applications in the Dubai Design District based on Cisco’s Smart+Connected City (S+CC) solutions portfolio and overall ICT vision.
Dubai Design District, better known as d3, is a purpose-built creative community dedicated to promoting and enabling emerging local talent while also providing a home to established international design, luxury and fashion brands. d3 is the newest of TECOM Investments’ Free Zone business parks with 11 buildings currently under construction. It is also the greenfield pilot site of Dubai’s Smart City project and therefore will showcase a range of cutting edge ICT elements designed to enhance visitor experience. Once complete, d3 will cater to the full value chain of the design and fashion industries to achieve its mission of engaging both international players and local start-ups and inspiring resident designers by challenging industry norms.
The Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative complements this mission directly. It is designed to solve environmental challenges, redefine work models, improve the delivery of safety and security, drive energy efficiency and help people thrive in smart communities and live enriched, healthier lives. Together with an ecosystem of partners, Cisco has created a powerful, integrated platform that incorporates top technology, applications and business models to improve the way communities and cities are designed, built and run – from lighting to waste management, from parking and traffic services to safety and security.
- The d3 Smart City pilot project will utilize Cisco’s Smart and Connected Real Estate solutions to deploy new Smart Services and applications in the context of the overall development of the smart city. This smart infrastructure will be implemented for 11 buildings currently under construction and due for delivery in early 2015.
- The two companies will develop a digital master plan for phases two and three of d3 which include a creative community and 2km waterfront development. They will also provide planning and building guidelines for residential and commercial buildings that will be constructed by private developers.
- Under the Memorandum of Understanding, d3 and Cisco will discuss the feasibility of creating a technology experience center to showcase the leading edge technologies in smart city developments. The two companies plan to demonstrate in real-time the benefits of utilizing innovative IP-enabled technology to power solutions that will deliver new economic opportunities. Cisco intends to promote the solution showcase center nationally, regionally and globally in order to capture the wider potential S+CC market opportunities offered by this Dubai smart city initiative.
- Cisco’s ecosystem of partners, particularly the service delivery and operations partners will provide the industry-leading expertise required to help ensure the success of the d3 pilot as well as other Dubai smart cities projects.
- Since the launch of Smart+Connected Communities in February 2009, Cisco has announced several projects, products, acquisitions and solutions key to its Smart+Connected Communities initiative. Cisco is currently involved in over 90 S+CC projects worldwide.
Mohammad Al Shehhi, COO, Dubai Design District:
“By signing the Memorandum of Understanding with Cisco we are preparing our city for the future. Once completed, d3 will provide a shining example concept that will not only revolutionise the way Dubai citizens and visitors enjoy and experience design, fashion and art, but will also bring convenience and simplicity to each and every activity. Dubai is rapidly emerging as one of the world's leading Smart Cities - our leadership’s vision of enabling Dubai to become a truly Smart City is becoming a reality due to the commitment of implementing initiatives such as a connectivity framework for d3 and bringing together world-leading ICT experts to deliver this ambition. Our job is to guide these developments in the right direction - we are confident that Cisco will help us achieve this goal.”
Rabih Dabboussi, Managing Director, Cisco, UAE
“Cisco is excited and privileged to be helping to drive the change that will deliver His Highness Sheikh Mohammed Bin Rashid Al Maktoum’s Smart City vision. The way we will move around in and interact with the city of Dubai is undergoing monumental change being further enabled by ground-breaking projects like the d3 Smart City pilot. The era of inert buildings, unresponsive citizen services, and lack of logistical transparency is over, and Dubai has everything in place to become an exemplary smart city pioneer, not only throughout the region but also on a global scale.”
Fady Younes, Regional Sales Manager, Cisco UAE
“Today, cities all around the globe are in competition in the same way that companies are and the challenges and opportunities for Dubai are no different. It is looking for ways to create jobs, drive profitable growth and productivity, become more efficient and - most importantly - increase the quality of life for residents. At Cisco, we are proud to be partnering with TECOM to lead the way in fostering innovation and helping to embrace the opportunities offered by the Internet of Everything that will drive positive and ground-breaking change for Dubai and its citizens.”
Links / URLs:
- For more details about Cisco Smart and Connected Communities visit:
- Middle East News:
About Dubai Design District
Dubai Design District, better known as d3, is dedicated to enabling the growth of the Emirate’s design, fashion, and art and luxury industry. It offers businesses, entrepreneurs and individuals a creative community that will be at the very heart of the region’s design scene. d3 is the newest of TECOM Investments’ freezone business parks – with 10 buildings currently under construction. Once complete, d3 will be a purpose built environment catering to the full value chain of the design, fashion and luxury industry – and all with the vision of creating a world class creative community that engages, nurtures and promotes local, regional and global design talent. d3’s facilities will include everything from cutting-edge design institutes to residential, hospitality, retail and office space. The District will be characterised by distinct public areas, unique street furniture and shaded walkways. The development will include a Creek-side esplanade with international and boutique hotels, a pop-up shop area, amphitheatre and a convention centre.
Located close to Mohammed Bin Rashid City and adjacent to Dubai’s Business Bay, d3 is a short distance from the city’s arterial highways and two international airports. The District is in sight of the Creek, Dubai’s historic and mercurial trading epicentre, Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest building, and Dubai Mall, the world’s largest shopping complex. d3 will be the most connected design, fashion and luxury destination in the world – with Dubai being only eight hours flight time from 90 per cent of the countries in the world. Guided by the objectives set out in Dubai Fashion 2020 – a strategic plan to harness the full growth potential of the fashion industry – this creative community will support Dubai’s goals for a more diversified knowledge economy.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.