SAN JOSE, Calif. – November 9, 2009 – Cisco today announced significant product introductions across all categories of its collaboration portfolio. The new offerings span collaboration applications, and collectively take advantage of the unique communications power of video, voice, and real-time interaction to help enable natural, person-to-person and business-to-business collaboration across all media and devices.
New, open and interoperable TelePresence, Unified Communications and Cisco WebEx, solutions announced today use the power of the network to facilitate collaboration within and between companies. The new solutions help enable professionals to quickly and easily identify and connect with the right people, expertise, and information, whether they work inside or outside of the firewall, via any media.
Cisco also entered two new markets today with new enterprise social software and hosted email solutions.
Taking advantage of the power of the network, new product introductions help enable medianets, networks optimized for video and voice delivery which deliver better collaborative experiences for end users across heterogeneous devices, applications and clients.
The increasingly interconnected and global nature of business today makes the ability to collaborate across business boundaries, naturally and in real-time, more important than ever. By integrating presence and video and voice communication across its collaboration portfolio and facilitating interoperability across devices, applications and clients, Cisco is helping customers set new levels of intercompany collaboration.
The new product introductions announced today are offered to customers as on-premise, on-demand, or blended approaches, and can be deployed on a sliding scale of consumption based on business process needs, rather than information technology constraints.
New telepresence and unified communications solutions deliver rich business-to-business communications across organizational boundaries
- Cisco today extended its leadership in telepresence and online video with Cisco TelePresence WebEx Engage, a simple, scheduling and one-button initiation solution with video integration between Cisco TelePresence and Cisco WebEx conferencing. Cisco TelePresence WebEx Engage combines the immersive experience of Cisco TelePresence and the broad reach of Cisco WebEx Meeting Center.
- Cisco also introduced the intercompany Cisco TelePresence Directory, a Cisco-hosted directory of endpoints, organizations and people with access to Cisco TelePresence endpoints. The directory features a virtual assistant to help schedule meetings across the more than 1200 rooms at more than 80 customers using intercompany Cisco TelePresence today.
- The new Cisco Intercompany Media Engine gives end-users business-to-business communications over any IP network, maximizing network efficiency and reducing costs. This new solution, submitted today to the Internet Engineering Task Force for standardization, includes features such as business-to-business, high-definition voice with multiple levels of built-in security, and will add additional capabilities in the future. Service providers will benefit from the ability to offer new business-to-business communications services, differentiated network capabilities, and expanded managed services.
- With Cisco Unified Communications system 8.0, Cisco also extends support for a wide range of endpoints including new video- and WiFi-enabled Cisco Unified IP Phones and additional smartphones via Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator. Cisco UC 8.0 also offers customers a choice of deployment models – whether on-premise, on-demand, or hybrid.
Mail, messaging and presence tools
- Cisco WebEx™ Mail is a new corporate-grade, hosted email solution from Cisco with native Microsoft Outlook interoperability, optimized mobile device support, and browser-independent AJAX web 2.0 access. Using technology acquired from PostPath, Cisco WebEx Mail has a highly scalable infrastructure that overcomes the limitations of traditional mailbox size. Cisco WebEx Mail is on-demand, highly available, and designed to free IT departments from the burden of email infrastructure management and operation.
- Using technology gained through the acquisition of Jabber, Cisco today announced it has integrated the XMPP standard to provide highly secure, federated presence across its collaboration portfolio, starting with Cisco WebEx Connect Instant Messaging and Cisco Unified Presence 8.0. This announcement showcases Cisco’s commitment to deliver standards-based solutions to drive greater interoperability across clients, devices and applications. The XMPP open standard allows presence federation among presence systems, both business and consumer, as well as support for third party enterprise instant messaging clients and applications.
Cisco breaks new ground with enterprise social software offerings
Cisco is introducing enterprise-ready social software solutions that allow customers to dynamically form teams and communities in a highly secure manner. Cisco’s technology helps enable teams to be formed based on expertise and relevance, regardless of location, and brings experts together with both asynchronous tools and real-time voice and video.
- Cisco Show and Share is a social video system that helps organizations create and manage highly secure video communities to share ideas and expertise, optimize global video collaboration, and personalize the connection between customers, employees, and students, with user-generated content. It allows organizations to record, edit and share video with comments, ratings, tagging and RSS feeds, and speech-to-text transcripts can be uploaded for easy video search and viewing.
- Cisco “Enterprise Collaboration Platform” is an enterprise-class, highly secure, policy-driven social software application that features personal profiles with customizable views, a corporate directory, and a rich set of social networking capabilities. It allows users to create team spaces and communities ‘on the fly’ and also offers a customizable framework for integration of legacy business applications and web 2.0 content. Unlike today’s document-centric products, the Cisco “Enterprise Collaboration Platform” is people-centric, facilitating real-time voice, instant messaging, and video communications to connect people, communities, and information to make faster business decisions.
Cisco offers customers new medianet-ready devices that optimize networks for video, voice and collaboration
Cisco introduced three new products that help customers evolve their IP networks to medianets – networks optimized for video and voice delivery and enhancing collaborative experiences. In combination with the recently introduced Cisco Integrated Services Routers Generation 2, customers can now enrich their existing collaboration capabilities with new, network based functionality.
- From the Cisco Media Processing family, the Cisco Media Experience Engine 3500 and the Cisco Media Experience Engine 5600 provide real-time video transcoding, allowing any content to be shared across the network to any end-point device. Innovative features such as speech-to-text transcription of videos will help enable video on the network to become as searchable and accessible as text and web pages today. The MXE 5600 also facilitates standards-based interoperability across many video endpoints, allowing for Cisco TelePresence to interoperate with video conferencing devices from other companies.
- Cisco Pulse is an innovative search platform that performs dynamic tagging of content as it traverses the network, offering a real-time, cross application view of the entire organization. This intelligence allows people to accurately locate and rapidly connect with the best available experts and information they need.
“Collaboration is the foundation of our One HSBC strategy. We design, build, and deploy the products, systems and processes to serve our global customers by leveraging the skill and insight of colleagues in dozens of countries,” said Ken Harvey, chief information officer, HSBC. “Collaboration technology and management process is about creating an environment rich enough to allow the human fabric of teamwork to develop.”
“New trends are creating a need for organizations to change the way they operate,” said Tony Bates, senior vice president and general manager, enterprise, commercial and small business, Cisco. “Cisco’s new collaboration experience enables innovative ways of working. They can be deployed in any order and at a pace that matches a company’s business imperatives.”
Tags/Keywords: Cisco, collaboration, unified communications, intercompany collaboration, enterprise, social software, enterprise social software, WebEx, Cisco WebEx, email, cloud computing, SaaS, on-premise, on-premises, hosted applications, presence federation, enterprise instant messaging, on-demand, XMPP, presence
The Cisco Collaboration Experience
Cisco WebEx web meetings and on-demand collaboration
Cisco Unified Communications
Cisco and its global community of specialized partners offer customers a full suite of services to optimize their collaboration solution.
Cisco Capital offers special financing that allows businesses to acquire Cisco Unified Communications and TelePresence solutions.
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.