August 7, 2013
THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
Revision Date Comment 1.0 07-AUG-2013 Initial Public Release
Products Affected 15454-R9.6.0SWK9= SF15454W-R9.6.0K9 SF15454M-R9.6.0K9 15454-LIC-9.6.0K9 15454-R9.6.0SWK9 SF15454WC-R9.6.0K9 SF15454MC-R9.6.0K9 15454C-LIC-9.6.0K9 15454C-R9.6.0SWK9 15454C-R9.6.0SWK9= SF15454WE-R9.6.0K9 SF15454ME-R9.6.0K9 SF15454WECR9.6.0K9 SF15454MECR9.6.0K9
The Network Element (NE) with an earlier release is not visible, or is visible but can see the AR-XPE card while it preprovisions the cards. This is observed in one of these situations:
- The network has a mixed release - one of the releases is Release 220.127.116.11 and other release is Release 9.6.0 or earlier.
- A customer upgrades from Release 9.6.0 or earlier (such as Release 9.4.0 or 9.2.1) to Release 18.104.22.168, which results in the network state mentioned earlier in this section.
Cisco Transport Controller (CTC) Release 22.214.171.124 is expected to use a release specific driver (API) for NEs respectively. Due to a software bug, it incorrectly applies Release 126.96.36.199 drivers to earlier releases. This can lead to a variety of problems based on the release of the NE. Any provisioning activity on the node with an earlier release can cause issues that might result in the node going to an incorrect state. This might result in a non-deterministic behavior.
If CTC Release 188.8.131.52 is used, the NE with an earlier software release can observe one of the these potential problems:
- The NE is not visible.
- The NE is visible, but when you try to preprovision you can see the AR-XPE card which is supported in Release 184.108.40.206 and later.
One of these options can be used to work around this issue:
- Upgrade all the nodes individually to Release 220.127.116.11. After this, CTC Release 18.104.22.168 can be launched without any issues.
- If Cisco Prime Optical (CPO) is used to upgrade the network, CPO will not face this issue. However, do not provision with CTC Release 22.214.171.124 until all the nodes in the network are upgraded.
- Use the earlier CTC release (Release 126.96.36.199 or earlier) in order to manage NEs with Release 9.6.0 or earlier.
- A new CTC application will be made available on Cisco.com. Use this application instead of directly launching CTC from a browser in a network of mixed releases. The application will be available on Cisco.com by August 16, 2013.
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
Cisco Notification Service—Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.