Document ID: 116194
Updated: Jun 19, 2013
Contributed by Scott Hills, Cisco TAC Engineer.
This document describes some issues encountered with the Message Waiting Indicator (MWI) after a message is checked or deleted within Microsoft Outlook, and also describes a solution to those issues.
When a mailbox is set up for Cisco Unity Connection Single Inbox (SIB), it goes through the initial Microsoft Exchange Web Service (EWS) Subscription process. The subscription updates at an interval and verifies that the Cisco Unity Connection and Microsoft Exchange mailboxes are in sync.
- You verified that TCP port 7080 traffic between Unity Connection and Microsoft Exchange is not blocked by any devices.
- You are aware of Cisco bug ID CSCtx73576 (MWI does not turn off when message is read from Outlook SIB).
- A message is left, and the MWI turns on immediately. The message is synced to Microsoft Exchange. You check the message in Microsoft Outlook and mark it as "read". It takes approximately 15 to 20 minutes for the MWI light to deactivate on the phone.
- A message is left, and the MWI turns on immediately. The message is synced to Microsoft Exchange. You check and delete the message in Microsoft Outlook, and the MWI does not deactivate on the phone. After approximately 15 to 20 minutes the message reappears in Microsoft Outlook, and the MWI light remains active on the phone.
- Take a sniffer capture from Cisco Unity Connection while you mark a message as "read" or delete it in Microsoft Outlook.
- Enter this command into the CLI of Cisco Unity Connection in order to run the capture:
utils network capture eth0 size ALL count 100000 file <file-name>
- Press Ctrl-C in order to stop the capture. You can use the Real Time Monitor Tool (RTMT) in order to gather the capture.
- After the sniffer capture is gathered, use Wireshark in order to apply a filter (tcp.port==7080). Verify that traffic is displayed.
- If traffic is not displayed, take a sniffer capture of the Microsoft Exchange Conditional Access Systems (CAS) Server while you mark a message as "read" or delete it.
- View the capture in Wireshark and apply a filter (tcp.port==7080). If traffic is not displayed, then Microsoft Exchange did not send an update to Cisco Unity Connection.
- Check the Microsoft Exchange CAS application log. Look for events sourced from Microsoft Exchange Web Service and Microsoft ExchangeIS in order to reveal any indications of an issue.
The Cisco Support Community is a forum for you to ask and answer questions, share suggestions, and collaborate with your peers.
Refer to Cisco Technical Tips Conventions for information on conventions used in this document.