Cisco® Collaboration Solutions improve team and customer experiences to help organizations accelerate innovation and improve decision making while building trust and enhancing team performance.
The Cisco Jabber™ platform is a unified communications application for PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones. The application provides a simple way for you to find the right people, see if they are available, and collaborate using their preferred method or device.
Cisco Jabber for iPhone provides voice-over-IP (VoIP) capabilities. Whether you are in the office on a Wi-Fi network or roaming using a public Wi-Fi network or a mobile data network, the Cisco Jabber platform connects you securely to your corporate network so your iPhone becomes your portable IP phone and company directory.
Turn your iPhone into a full-featured Cisco Unified IP Phone. Cisco Jabber for iPhone lets you place, receive, and manage calls over your corporate Wi-Fi network. Cisco Jabber for iPhone also supports calls over any Wi-Fi hotspot using a VPN, allowing you to take further advantage of your corporate telephony infrastructure whenever you have access to a high-quality wireless network connection. You will benefit from the cost savings from not using your wireless minutes, the capability to use your work phone number when placing calls from your Apple iPhone, and the stronger in-building network coverage from a wireless network (Figure 1).
• Lower mobility costs: Cisco Jabber for iPhone allows you to place and receive calls over your corporate wireless LAN (WLAN) and telephony infrastructure, reducing the number of mobile minutes used and saving on roaming charges. Because Cisco Jabber for iPhone uses your Cisco Unified Communications Manager call-routing capabilities, you can also avoid toll charges for international calls. These costs can be further reduced by the optional Dial-Via-Office feature. With Cisco Jabber for iPhone you can place and receive calls when at home, in hotels, or at Wi-Fi hotspots.
• Mobile privacy: Cisco Jabber for iPhone turns your iPhone into an extension on Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You appear to receive and make calls from your desk phone when using Cisco Jabber for iPhone. Executives benefit from this feature because they often want to keep their mobile number private when placing calls.
• Enterprise telephony features: Cisco Jabber for iPhone offers enterprise-class telephony functions including transfer, conference, hold and resume, and park and recover calls. You can also hand off calls to your mobile provider's network as you leave Wi-Fi coverage. Finally, you can move iPhone calls to and from your Cisco Unified IP Phone to continue a conversation on a different phone (Figure 2).
Figure 2. Midcall Features
• With Cisco Jabber for iPhone, you have many dialing options. You can place a call from your Contacts list, manually dial a number, or simply hold the phone up and say a name to dial. Cisco Jabber for iPhone works in conjunction with Speech Connect for Cisco Unity® Connection to allow you to dial contacts in this way (Figure 3).
Figure 3. Voice Dialing
• Visual voicemail: Cisco Jabber for iPhone gives you visual access to your enterprise voicemail. You can view new and saved voicemail messages, and play back messages in any order. Actions you take on your iPhone, such as playing, marking as unheard, or deleting a message, are synchronized with your corporate voicemail mailbox. Visual Voicemail requires Cisco Unity Connection or Cisco Unity Express (Figure 4).
Figure 4. Visual Voicemail
• Integration with the Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone application: You can initiate an instant message (IM) chat with a contact in your Cisco Jabber for iPhone application or you can initiate a VoIP call with a contact in your Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone application. Each application can cross-launch the other in order to deliver a more complete collaboration experience on the iPhone. Read the Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone data sheet to learn more about this application.
Features and Benefits
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of Cisco Jabber for iPhone.
Table 1. User Features and Benefits
Place and receive calls over your organization's WLAN
Using your iPhone, you can place and receive calls through Cisco Unified Communications Manager without incurring mobile or roaming charges.
Place or receive calls over a VPN
When away from the office, you can place and receive calls using a Wi-Fi network (for example, a home network or Wi-Fi hotspot) when connected to VPN.
You can take advantage of enterprise calling features such as conference, transfer, hold and resume, and park and retrieve.
Call preservation keeps your call connected when you receive a Global System for Mobile Communications (GSM) call while on an Internet call. You can retrieve the Internet call by returning to Cisco Jabber for iPhone.
Integration with Cisco Mobile Connect (Single Number Reach)
Cisco Mobile Connect enables you to receive calls placed to your desk phone on your iPhone (through GSM) whenever Cisco Jabber for iPhone is not running or not connected to Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Handoff to GSM
You can hand off your Internet call to your mobile operator's network as you leave buildings, so you have freedom to move about without interrupting your calls.
Handoff to and from desk phone
You can hand off your call from your iPhone to your desk phone and continue your call using your desk phone. Similarly, you can hand off calls from the desk phone to your iPhone, so you have freedom to move about.
Visual voice messages
You can get access to a visual representation of your office voicemail box. You can view new messages without having to dial into your corporate voicemail system, and you can select, play back, or delete messages in any order. In addition, you can get alerted to new voicemail messages even when Cisco Jabber for iPhone is running in the background.
You can search your corporate directory from an easy-to-use interface. You can quickly select a contact to call, view reporting structure within your organization, and add to your contacts list.
You can create a list of work-related favorite contacts.
You can view contacts with pictures, whether they appear in Contacts, Favorites, or Voicemail lists.
You can say the name of the person you are trying to reach, and you will be automatically connected (requires Speech Connect for Cisco Unity Connection). If there is more than one person in your organization's directory with that name, you will be provided with multiple choices to automatically connect. Gesture-based voice dialing is also available on the iPhone.
Bluetooth headset support
You can enable the Cisco Jabber application to work with your Bluetooth headset. This feature is recommended for use only on voice-ready Wi-Fi networks.
Sign in and out
Administrators can set up shared device pools and allow users to sign in and out of the Cisco Jabber for iPhone application for instances when an iPhone is used by multiple users.
Cisco Jabber for iPhone supports various failover scenarios, including failover to another Cisco Unified Communications Manager, failover to another Cisco Trivial File Transfer Protocol (TFTP) server, and failover features of Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST).
Cisco Jabber IM integration
You can start an IM chat from the Cisco Jabber for iPhone application (the chat launches Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone), or you can place a VoIP call from the Cisco Jabber IM for iPhone application (launches Cisco Jabber for iPhone).
Dial-Via-Office enables you to make work calls over the mobile voice network using your company's telephony infrastructure.
Table 2 provides information about platform support and compatibility.
Table 2. Platform Support and Compatibility for Cisco Jabber 8.6 for iPhone
Cisco Unified Communications Manager
7.1.5, 8.0.3, 8.5, 8.6, and 9.0 (refer to release notes for exact versions)
Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances
Cisco supports Cisco Jabber for iPhone on the following iOS devices:
• iPhone model 3GS, 4, 4S, and 5
• iPod Touch third or fourth generation (third-generation iPod Touch requires an external microphone for calls)
• iOS support: iOS 6 and 6.1
Bluetooth headset support:
• iPhone: supported (optional)
• iPod Touch: not supported. iPod Touch third generation requires a wired headset. You can use iPod Touch fourth generation in speakerphone mode or with a wired headset.
Cisco Jabber for iPhone supports multiple audio codecs (G.711a, G.711mu, and G.729) and automatically selects the best option depending on whom you are calling and the bandwidth available, providing you with the best audio experience possible.
You can download Cisco Jabber for iPhone for free from the Apple iTunes App Store. To use the software, a device license is required (Table 3). Additional licensing may apply to connect to Cisco Unified Communications Manager or Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express. To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering homepage.
To enable Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for VPN access on Cisco Jabber for iPhone, you will need a Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliance and the corresponding Cisco AnyConnect Essentials and Cisco AnyConnect Mobile licenses. To learn more visit the Cisco ASA website.
Table 3. Ordering Information
iPhone User Licence
Cisco Services make networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration of people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the strength of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.