Cisco Jabber™ is a unified communications application that enables you to be more productive from anywhere on any device. Find the right people, see if they are available, and collaborate using your preferred method.
Today's global, distributed work environment has resulted in significant challenges for workers, making it harder to connect with the right people and significantly increasing the quantity and modes of communications. Organizations of all sizes are striving to improve communications in order to retain customers, compete for new business, control costs, and grow their business globally.
Cisco Jabber for iPhone streamlines communications and enhances productivity by unifying presence, instant messaging, video, voice, voice messaging, and conferencing capabilities securely into one client on your mobile device. Cisco Jabber for iPhone delivers highly secure, clear, and reliable communications. It offers flexible deployment models and is built on open standards. You can communicate and collaborate effectively from anywhere (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco Jabber for iPhone
Features and Benefits
• Bring business-class IP telephony and video to your mobile device: Powered by the market-leading Cisco® Unified Communications Manager call-control solution, Cisco Jabber provides enterprise-grade telephony with high-fidelity audio and standards-based video capabilities. These features mean that high-quality and high-availability voice and video telephony is available when you need it, whether you are in the office or on the go. You can also hand off calls to your mobile provider's network as you leave Wi-Fi coverage or move Cisco Jabber for iPhone calls to your Cisco Unified IP Phone to continue a conversation on a different phone.
• Lower mobility costs: Cisco Jabber for iPhone allows you to place and receive calls over your corporate wireless LAN (WLAN) and telephony infrastructure, reducing the number of mobile minutes used and saving on roaming charges. Because Cisco Jabber for iPhone uses your Cisco Unified Communications Manager call-routing capabilities, you may be able to avoid long distance charges for international calls. These costs can be further reduced by the optional Dial-Via-Office feature. With Cisco Jabber for iPhone, you can place and receive calls when at home, in hotels, or at Wi-Fi hotspots.
• Mobile privacy: Cisco Jabber for iPhone turns your iPhone into an extension on Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You appear to receive and make calls from your work phone number when using Cisco Jabber for iPhone. Executives benefit from this feature because they often want to keep their mobile number private when placing calls.
• Reduce communication delays with presence and contact information: Cisco Jabber for iPhone application places all of your communication needs at your fingertips. The all-in-one client features voice, video, instant messaging, and enables you to see the availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside your organization. You can immediately see who is offline, available, away, on the phone, presenting, or in a do-not-disturb state. You can create customized availability states such as "Gone to lunch. Back at 1 p.m." to provide added context. These capabilities coupled with Cisco Jabber for iPhone's video calling help reduce communication drag and result in faster decision making and enhanced productivity.
• Quickly communicate with borderless enterprise-class instant messaging: Instant messaging is an important communication option that lets you efficiently interact in today's multitasking business environment. Cisco Jabber for iPhone delivers enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities that are based on the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). The solution provides personal and group chat so you can quickly connect with your business colleagues. Instant messaging is integrated with other communication capabilities so you can simply move between chats, audio conversations, and web conferences. You can even share your availability status and send instant messages to people outside your organization who may not be using Cisco Jabber. The enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities of this application provide more efficient, highly secure, flexible, and borderless collaboration.
Table 1 outlines Cisco Jabber for iPhone features and benefits.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
Use a single, intuitive interface for instant messaging with individuals and groups, voice and video calls, visual voicemail, voice and web conferencing, communication history, and integrated directories.
View real-time availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside the enterprise network.
• Exchange and display presence availability information and instant messages with other Cisco Jabber users, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco WebEx Connect®, Microsoft Office Communicator and Lync, IBM Lotus Sametime, GoogleTalk, and many other XMPP-compatible clients.
• Exchange presence information with mobile devices using Cisco Jabber or third-party XMPP-compatible clients.
• Display customized availability messages.
Enterprise instant messaging
Chat in real time using instant messaging to save time and reduce phone tag. Several chat modes are supported, ranging from:
• Point-to-point chat with co-workers inside your network, or supported federated business and personal contacts.
• Group chat, which enables multiple colleagues to communicate and collaborate in a single discussion.
• Personal instant messaging history for your reference.
Integrated voice and video telephony
Using Cisco Jabber on your iPhone, you can place and receive calls through Cisco Unified Communications Manager without incurring mobile or roaming charges.
A variety of call-control options are available, including mute, call transfer, and ad-hoc conferencing.
Cisco Jabber supports business quality video communications. The standards-based video means you are not restricted to collaboration with just other Jabber clients. You can use voice and video when interacting with TelePresence endpoints and room-based and multipoint videoconferencing systems.
Integration with Cisco Mobile Connect (Single Number Reach)
Cisco Mobile Connect enables you to receive calls placed to your work phone number on your iPhone (through GSM) whenever Cisco Jabber for iPhone is not running or not connected to Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Handoff to Mobile Voice Network
You can hand off your VoIPcall to your mobile operator's network as you leave buildings, so you have freedom to move about without interrupting your calls.
Initiate a web meeting session directly from Cisco Jabber for iPhone. This will launch the Cisco WebEx® Meetings application on the iPhone.
Access a history of your instant messaging conversations.
Visual voice message access
Access and manage your voice messages:
• View, play back, and delete voice messages from Cisco Unity® Connection.
• Secure messaging is provided, with support for private, urgent, and encrypted voice messages.
Encrypt instant messaging communications using up to 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and Transport Layer Security/Secure Sockets Layer (TLS/SSL) connections.
Single Sign-On (SSO)1
SSO allows companies to use their SSO system to simplify the management of the Cisco Jabber application. With SSO, you more securely log in to Jabber and presence using your corporate login credentials.
Flexible deployment models
Cisco Jabber for iPhone can be deployed on-premises or on-demand, offering IT departments the flexibility to choose the model that best suits their business.
Languages supported include:
• Chinese (Simplified)
• Chinese (Traditional)
• Portuguese (Brazil)
1 Feature available in on-demand deployment only.
Below are the operating systems and devices supported for Cisco Jabber for iPhone:
Table 2. Cisco Unified Communications System Requirements
Cisco Unified Communications Manager
Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence
Cisco Unified Presence
Cisco WebEx Messenger service
• 7.6 or later
Contact Search Services
• WebEx Connect Contact Service
• Microsoft Active Directory 2008
• Microsoft Active Directory 2003
• OpenLDAP 2.4
• Cisco TelePresence MCU 4500 Series
• Cisco TelePresence Server 7010
• Cisco TelePresence Server 8000
• Cisco WebEx Meeting Center T26L SP 20
• Cisco WebEx Meeting Center T27L SP 9
• Cisco Unity Connection 8.5 or later
Device and OS Requirements
Cisco supports Cisco Jabber for iPhone on the following iOS devices:
You can download Cisco Jabber for iPhone for free from the Apple iTunes App Store. The IM and Presence services in the application are free for organizations with a license to use Cisco Unified Communication Manager IM & P or Cisco WebEx Messenger. To use the software with Telephony capabilities, additional licensing may be required to connect to Cisco Unified Communications Manager. To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering homepage.Cisco Jabber for iPhone is a part of Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing. Please visit http://www.cisco.com/go/workspace_licensing for more information and to determine whether Cisco Unified Workspace licensing is appropriate for your organization.
To enable Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for VPN access on Cisco Jabber for iPhone, you will need a Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliance and the corresponding Cisco AnyConnect Essentials and Cisco AnyConnect Mobile licenses. To learn more visit the Cisco ASA website.
Cisco Unified Communications Services
Cisco and our certified partners can help you deploy a highly secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution so you can meet aggressive deployment schedules and accelerate your business advantage. The Cisco portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks.
The unique Cisco lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the solution lifecycle. Customized planning and design services focus on creating a solution that meets your business needs. Award-winning technical support increases operational efficiency. Remote management services simplify day-to-day operations, and optimization services enhance solution performance as your business needs change.