Cisco® Unified Communications Solutions enable collaboration so that organizations can quickly adapt to market changes while increasing productivity; improving competitive advantage through speed and innovation; and delivering a rich-media experience across any workspace, securely and with optimal quality.
Figure 1. Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901
The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 is a single-line endpoint delivering cost-effective access to Cisco Unified Communications. Designed with a trimline-like low profile, the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 is an ideal solution for lobbies, hallways, elevators, hotel bathrooms, or other settings that have an occasional need for voice communications services.
The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 supports two incoming calls with call-waiting service. Fixed feature keys provide one-touch access to Hold, Redial, and Call waiting. Transfer and Conference can be supported by using the hook-switch similar to that of traditional analog phones.
The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 offers personalization, with the choice of two colors (charcoal and arctic white) and two handset style options (slimline and standard).
The Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 is an earth-friendly solution. As with the other Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 Series endpoints, the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 takes advantage of reground and recyclable plastics for a more earth-responsible solution.
Features and Benefits
Table 1 lists features and benefits of the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901.
Table 1. Features and Benefits of Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901
• With a trimline, low-profile design, the phone can also be wall-mounted.
• The phone offers easy-to-use and intuitive arrangement of lines, keys, and calls.
• Hold and Redial options on fixed hard keys provide a traditional telephony-like user experience.
• Choice of colors: arctic white or charcoal. Handsets are available internationally as slimline or standard. You can mix and match them in the work environment to better meet your employee needs.
Desk and wall mountable
• A foldable footstand makes viewing of and use of the buttons and keys easy in the desk-mount case.
• The phones can be mounted onto the wall without additional Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 wall-mount kits by working with third-party wallphone wallplates, such as Leviton 4108W-xSP wallplates.
• You can include your logo on the Cisco Unified IP Phones 6900 Series endpoints. Cisco has approved third-party vendors to produce the labels.
• One small paper label is inserted under the plastic cover at the co-branding area and shipped together with the phone from the factory. You could use this small paper label to document any information needed, because the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 does not support a display.
• The following audio-compression codecs are supported: encode G.711a, G.711u, G.729a, G.729ab and iLBC, decode G.711a, G.711u, G.729, G.729a, G.729ab and iLBC.
• Comfort-noise generation and voice-activity-detection (VAD) programming is supported on a system basis.
• A volume-control toggle makes volume adjustments easy for the handset, monitor speaker, and ringer.
• Skinny Client Control Protocol (SCCP) and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
Phone firmware requirement
• Supported in Version 9.0(2) and higher
The phones are supported on Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Cisco Unified Communications Manager Business Edition Versions 7.1.3 and later, as well as Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express 8.0 and later.
• Adjustable ringing and volume levels
• Call waiting
• Message-waiting indicator
• Music on hold
• Shared line
• Image authentication
• Device authentication
• File authentication
• Signaling authentication
• Media encryption using Secure Real-Time Transfer Protocol (SRTP)
• Signaling encryption using Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol
• Encrypted configuration files
Cryptography is not enabled by default and may only be enabled through a cryptographically enabled CUCM.
• Cisco Discovery Protocol and Link Layer Discovery Protocol for Media Endpoint Devices (LLDP-MED)
• Static network parameters provisioned through Embedded interactive-voice-response (IVR) system
• Embedded web server that provides configuration and statistics
• Quality-of-service (QoS) reporting: Jitter, delay, dropped packets, and latency on a per-call basis
• Real-Time Control Protocol (RTCP) support and monitoring
Phone licensing is dependent on the call-control platform and its policies. For Cisco Unified Communications Manager Versions 7.1(3) and 7.1(4), the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901 requires two device license units (DLU); for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 7.1(5) and later, the User Connect License (UCL) fee for basic phones will be applied to the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901. There are no special license-plus-phone bundles for tier 2 distributors.
The phone is not supported on third-party call-control systems.
Table 2 lists the specifications for the Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901, and Table 3 lists its certifications.
Table 2. Specifications of Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901
Physical dimensions (H x W x D)
8.1 x 3.7 x 1.8 in.(205 x 94 x 46 mm)
Charcoal: Standard: 23.5 oz (655.2g); slimline: 21.9 oz (621.2g)
Arctic white: Standard: 24.5 oz (695g); slimline: 23.4 oz (662g)
95% +/- 5% noncondensing, from 86 to 140°F (30 to 60 oC)
IEEE Power over Ethernet (PoE)
IEEE Power over Ethernet 802.3af supported, Class 1
Maximum power consumption: 2.77 watts
Considering Ethernet cable loss and 10% buffer, Cisco Discovery Protocol value setting: 3.11 watts
48 VDC required; it can be supplied locally at the desktop using an optional AC-to-DC power supply (part number CP-PWR-CUBE-3=) or power injector (CP-PWR-INJ=); local power options require a corresponding AC country cord (refer to Table 6 later in this document).
Only English supported in IVR system
Support for following languages for documentation: Arabic, Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (People's Republic of China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English-plus localized prompts for the United Kingdom, Estonian, French, Finnish, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Romanian, Russian, Spanish (Spain), Slovak, Swedish, Serbian (Republic of Serbia and Republic of Montenegro), Slovenian, Thai, and Turkish
• Canadian Standards Association (CSA) C22.2 No. 60950
• EN 60950
• IEC 60950
• TS 001
• Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Part 15 (CFR 47) Class B
• ICES-003 Class B
• EN55022 Class B
• CISPR22 Class B
• AS/NZS CISPR 22 Class B
• CISPR 24
• VCCI Class B
• EN 50082-1
• EN 61000-3-2
• EN 61000-3-3
• EN 61000-6-1
• FCC Part 68 (CFR47) HAC
• TIA 810A
• CE Marking
The phone is shipped with a 150mm CAT5E Ethernet cable.
Cisco Unified IP Phones are covered by a Cisco standard 1-year hardware warranty.
To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page and refer to tables 4, 5, and 6. To download software, visit the Cisco Software Center.
Table 4. Ordering Information - Phone and License
Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901, Charcoal, Standard Handset
Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901, Charcoal, Slimline Handset
Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901, Arctic White, Standard Handset
Cisco Unified IP Phone 6901, Arctic White, Slimline Handset
Note: All Cisco Unified IP Phones require the purchase of a phone technology license, regardless of call protocol being used.
Table 5. Ordering Information - Spare and Optional Accessories
Spare Handset for 6900 Series IP Phones, Arctic White, Slimline
Spare Handset for 6900 Series IP Phones, Charcoal, Slimline
Spare Handset for 6900 Series IP Phones, Arctic White, Standard
Spare Handset for 6900 Series IP Phones, Charcoal, Standard
Spare Handset Cord, Arctic White
Spare Handset Cord, Charcoal
Table 6. Local Power Options: Cube and Regional Cords
Local power adapter for sites where PoE is not available; refer to following items in this table to select the correct regional power cord. CP-PWR-CUBE-3= is compatible with and can replace CP-PWR-CUBE-2=.
Cisco Unified Communications Services and Support
Using the Cisco Lifecycle Services approach, Cisco and our partners offer a broad portfolio of end-to-end services to support the Cisco Unified Communications System. These services are based on proven methodologies for deploying, operating, and optimizing IP communications solutions. Initial planning and design services, for example, can help you meet aggressive deployment schedules and minimize network disruption during implementation. Operate services reduce the risk of communications downtime with expert technical support, and optimize services enhance solution performance for operational excellence. Cisco and our partners offer a system-level service and support approach that can help you create and maintain a resilient, converged network that meets your business needs.