The Cisco® 2000U Industrial Ethernet Switches (IE 2000U) are a range of compact switches designed for the harsh, rugged environments often found in the energy and utility industries. IE 2000U switches are designed to support the communications infrastructure needs for the energy delivery infrastructure across distributed generation, transmission, and distribution sectors. This infrastructure includes utility- and customer-owned energy infrastructure, such as substation applications supporting electrical transmission and distribution, renewable generation, oil and gas, water, distributed generation, cogeneration, and trackside operations. The infrastructure also includes communications infrastructure for delivery applications such as transmission pipelines, distribution mains, and service lines for oil and gas and water.
Features and Benefits
Cisco IE 2000U Series Switches are designed for DIN rail mounting, low port counts, and small sizes:
• 4, 8, or 16 10/100BASE-T Ethernet ports fixed configurations with compact form factor
• 2x Gigabit combo ports, Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) (100MB and 1G) or RJ45 uplinks
• IEC-62439-3: Parallel Redundancy Protocol/High-Availability Seamless Redundancy (PRP/HSR) support in hardware
• Dual-input DC power supply, alarm relays, DIN rail mount
• Swappable SD flash card, mini-USB connector
• Substation environmental compliance and certifications: IEC-61850-3 and IEEE 1613
• Conformal coating available
Primary IE 2000U Features
• Rugged industrial design and substation compliance: IEC-61850-3 and IEEE 1613 for utility substation environments
• Advanced quality of service (QoS) capabilities to support mission-critical substation applications such as Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) and IEC 61850 Generic Object Oriented Substation Events (GOOSE) messaging
• Tools for easy deployment, management, and replacement
• Extensive instrumentation and remote diagnostic capabilities
• Comprehensive network security features based on open standards
Primary Business Benefits
The IE 2000U is designed for network security, high availability, ease of use, and durability. Table 1 lists the business benefits of the IE 2000U.
Table 1. Primary Business Benefits of the IE 2000U
Rugged design for substation compliance
• Compliant with IEEE 1613 and IEC-61850-3 substation standards for rugged design.
• Convection cooled, with no moving parts or fans for maximum reliability and reduced network outages.
• Advanced Cisco IOS® Software features such as 802.1x, Layer 2-Layer 4 access control lists (ACLs), port security, protected port/private VLAN, user network interfaces/enhanced network interfaces (UNI/ENI) in default shutdown mode and configuration file security to prevent unauthorized network access and reduce operational costs of securing the network.
High availability and redundancy
• Advanced Cisco IOS Software features such as Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) and FlexLink provide fast reconvergence in ring and hub-and-spoke topologies, minimizing network downtime and associated costs.
• Hardware ready to support IEC 62439-3 protocols for transparent redundancy: Parallel Redundancy Protocol/High-Availability Seamless Redundancy (PRP/HSR)
• Field-replaceable components such as power supplies and SFPs reduce redeployment time.
• Optional redundant, hot-swappable power supply provides additional redundancy.
Ease of use
• Intuitive graphical user interface (GUI) in Cisco Configuration Professional simplifies configuration of switches and reduces training time and costs. Utility-focused enhancements have been added to further increase ease of use.
• Smartport templates provide one-touch global and port-level macros to simplify switch deployments.
• Two Cisco IOS Software images are available from which to choose. This choice allows you to choose the right feature set for your networking needs.
• Advanced Layer 2 switching feature set comes standard with the IE 2000U.
• Ongoing development of software capabilities leads to a longer product lifecycle, lowering the total cost of ownership.
The IE 2000U architecture provides energy-saving features that include the following:
• High-efficiency power supplies with dual connections for redundancy and high availability.
• No fans are used, which reduces overall power consumption.
Software Optimized for Energy Applications
The IE 2000U software is optimized for energy applications and builds on the strength of Cisco IOS Software, which powers mission-critical networks across the world. Numerous new features make the IE 2000U the optimal Ethernet switch for energy network operators, such as Smartport templates, which enable simple configuration for utility environments. Features such as Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD) publish an event when critical failures are detected, and this can be retrieved from the switch. Also, onboard failure logging (OBFL) collects and logs information from critical sensors in the switch, monitoring voltage, temperature, and other information.
In addition, many default behaviors of the IE 2000U are different from those of traditional Ethernet switches, making the IE 2000U easier to configure, manage, secure, and troubleshoot.
High Availability and Redundancy
High availability is a vital requirement for networks that transport mission-critical data. The IE 2000U supports dual connections for power supplies, SFP modules, and the connected grid swap drive, which increase network uptime and minimize redeployment time in the field. In addition, external alarm inputs/outputs allow network operators to monitor changes in the switch's environmental conditions before a failure occurs.
To further increase high availability on a networkwide level, the IE 2000U offers REP and FlexLink for fast reconvergence, link-state tracking, IEEE 802.1w Rapid Spanning Tree Protocol (RSTP), and per-VLAN Rapid Spanning Tree Plus (PVRST+). These capabilities help to create redundant, failsafe topologies. Strong, built-in security helps prevent the device and the network from succumbing to malicious attacks, thereby enhancing network uptime.
The wide range of security features on the IE 2000U protects mission-critical traffic, prevents unauthorized access, and maintains uninterrupted operation. The IE 2000U protects operational and nonoperational data by focusing on securing connectivity, defending against network threats, and providing trust and identity features.
Protecting a network begins with securing connectivity. For example, ACLs can be used to restrict access to sensitive portions of the network. To defend against network threats such as Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) spoofing, DHCP snooping can be used to allow only DHCP requests (but not responses) from untrusted user-facing ports. Workforce management is a critical use case, where trust and identity features such as IEEE 802.1x can be used to enable strong security policies, yet provide maximum mobility to a remote workforce.
Table 2 lists these and other primary features of the security solution.
Table 2. Primary Features for Each Area of Comprehensive Security Solution
The IE 2000U offers an easy-to-use GUI for configuration through the Cisco Configuration Professional tool, as well as a superior command-line interface (CLI) for detailed configuration. In addition, the switches support Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) for networkwide management. Network operators can integrate the IE 2000U transparently into their network operations centers and enable improved flow-through provisioning.
Network operators can also manage the IE 2000U using SNMP Versions 2 and 3. A comprehensive set of MIBs is provided for network operators to collect traffic information from the IE 2000U.
Switch Performance and Scalability
• Line-rate/nonblocking uplink/downlink ports
• Forwarding rate: 6.5 mpps with 64-byte packets
• Egress buffer: 2MB
• Unicast MAC addresses: 8000
• IGMP multicast groups: 255
• Max VLANs: 255
• IPv4 MAC security Access Control Entries (ACE): 384 (default ternary content-addressable memory [TCAM] template)
• Switching Database Manager (SDM) templates for Layer 2 deployments: optimizes memory allocation to the desired features based on deployment-specific requirements
Figure 1 shows switch models, and Table 3 shows Cisco IE 2000U Series Switch configuration information.
Figure 1. Switch Models
Table 3. Cisco IE 2000U Series Configurations
6 (2 GE)
2 GE + 2FE
2 GE + 2FE
* Conformal coating.
IE 2000U switches are field upgradable from LAN Base to IP Services image.
Table 4 shows power supplies and accessories.
Table 4. Power Supplies and Accessories
AC to DC 24V/2.1A DIN rail power supply, 110/220 VAC and 88-300 VDC
PoE AC input power module for IE 2000U Series Switches, 110/220 VAC
PoE DC input power module for IE 2000U Series Switches, 18-60 VDC
1GB industrial-grade secure digital (SD) memory card
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco Services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, refer to Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services at www.cisco.com/go/services. For more information about Cisco products, contact: