Growing businesses require cost-effective networking solutions that can scale to meet ever-changing business needs. The Cisco® SLM224G4S 24-Port 10/100 + 4-Port Gigabit Smart Switch with Resilient Clustering technology (Figure 1) brings increased intelligence and security to the network infrastructure at a cost-effective price. It offers twenty-four 10/100 Ethernet (copper) ports with four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet copper or optional optical Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) interfaces for connecting the switch to the core network.
Network security is a top priority in any size business; unauthorized access to the network and mission-critical data is a constant concern. The Cisco SLM224G4S helps secure the network through 802.1X port authentication and MAC filtering. The 802.1X standard requires clients to authenticate themselves before they are given access to the network.
Resilient Clustering technology enables several switches to be clustered together and managed as a single switch with one web management interface and one IP address. This technology allows up to six units of the Cisco SLM224G4S switches (for up to 192 ports when combined with the Cisco SLM248G4S) to be set up in a switch cluster. Cisco SLM224G4S units can coexist in a switch cluster with other Cisco Small Business Smart Switches that support Resilient Clustering technology - the Cisco SLM224G4PS, SLM248G4S, and SLM248G4PS.
Businesses are recognizing the benefits of voice over IP (VoIP) technology and are quickly migrating their voice services to IP-based platforms, requiring their local area networks to support both voice and data applications. The extensive quality of service (QoS) features of the Cisco SLM224G4S make the solution ideal for real-time applications such as voice and video. The four priority queues, together with weighted round-robin and strict priority scheduling techniques, let network administrators quickly prioritize real-time voice and video traffic over data traffic. Individual users or applications can also be prioritized above others using various class of service options - by port, Layer 2 priority (802.1p), and Layer 3 priority (type of service [ToS] or differentiated services code point [DSCP]). Intelligent broadcast, multicast, and unknown unicast storm control minimizes and contains the effects that these types of storms have on regular traffic. Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) snooping limits bandwidth-intensive video traffic to only the requestors without flooding to all users. Incoming traffic can be policed and outgoing traffic can be shaped, allowing network administrators to control network access and traffic flow.
The Cisco SLM224G4S also includes features for network expansion and faster throughput. Link aggregation enables network administrators to create multiple high-bandwidth trunks between switches. This provides reliability because the system will continue to operate if one of the links breaks. Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) allows administrators to avoid network loops and to build a mesh of switches to increase the availability of their network.
The simplified user interface provides an intuitive, highly secure management platform, enabling administrators to better utilize the extensive feature set of the switch, for a better-optimized, more secure network.
• Twenty-four 10/100 switched RJ-45 ports deliver up to 4.8 Gbps of throughput
• Two shared 10/100/1000 mini Gigabit Interface Converter (mini-GBIC) ports
• WebView monitoring allows administrators to view the current status and configuration using their favorite web browser
• Automatic medium dependent interface (MDI) and MDI crossover (MDI-X) cable detection
• Port-based and 802.1Q-based VLANs support up to 128 VLANs
• Port configuration settings for link, speed, auto MDI/MDI-X, flow control, and more
• Fully rack mountable using the included rack-mounting hardware
• MAC address table supports up to 8000 MAC address entries
• Optimal platform to support real-time applications, such as voice and video, by providing features like IGMP snooping, multiple queues (four) with appropriate scheduling techniques, prioritization of traffic based on port, 802.1p, IP ToS/ precedence/DSCP, and line rate forwarding mechanisms
• Enhanced QoS functions, including rate limiting for ingress/egress and per flow at 64 kbps granularity
• HTTP interface
• User/network security via 802.1X (with RADIUS authentication) and MAC-based filtering
• Containment of storms - broadcast and multicast
• Expandability and availability increased across multiple switches using link aggregation
• Port trunking for up to eight groups with up to eight ports per group allows you to increase your bandwidth for each uplink or server connection
• Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and Remote Monitoring (RMON) management expand your visibility options
Table 1 contains the specifications, package contents, and minimum requirements for the Cisco SLM224G4S 24-Port 10/100 + 4-Port Gigabit Smart Switch.
Table 1. Specifications for the Cisco SLM224G4S 24-Port 10/100 + 4-Port Gigabit Smart Switch: RCT
• 24 RJ-45 connectors for 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
• 4 RJ-45 connectors for 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T with 2 shared SFP slots and 2 Gigabit ports
Unshielded twisted pair (UTP) Category 5 or better for 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX, UTP Category 5 Ethernet or better for 1000BASE-T
Power, Link/Act, Speed
12.8 Gbps, nonblocking
MAC table size
Number of VLANs
Switch cluster operation
• Maximum switch cluster size: 192 ports
• Maximum number of units in switch cluster: 6 (with Cisco SLM248G4S)
• Hot insertion and removal
• Ring and chain options
• Master and backup master for resilient cluster control
• Auto-numbering or manual configuration of units in switch cluster
Web user interface
Built-in web user interface for easy browser-based configuration (HTTP)
• Web-based utility: Microsoft Internet Explorer (version 5.5 or above)
• Category 5 Ethernet network cable
5-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and 90-day limited software warranty
Check the product package and contents for specific features supported. Specifications are subject to change without notice.
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a 5-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty. In addition, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbiz.