The latest release of Cisco IOS® Software for the Cisco® 7600 Series Routers introduces new features and provides continued operational benefits for service providers. Cisco IOS Software Release 15.1(1) is the second from the new release model, so it is a short release that will have fewer maintenance releases. Nevertheless it includes many solution-oriented features as well as features from all the previous Cisco IOS Software releases.
The Cisco 7600 Series Routers offer advanced wireless and wireline service and transport capabilities enabling Fix Mobile Convergence. Service providers who want to increase their return on investment can take advantage of more than 26 new features for mobile, video, business, and residential services that are now available with Cisco IOS Software Release 15.1(1)S.
Major features and benefits include:
• DS3 SFP Support for ES+ for c7600: Provides an end-to-end DS-3 solution for the IP Radio Access Network (RAN) backhaul while taking advantage of all the benefits of the ES+ line cards and offering a cost-effective means to migrate to the Cisco IP Next Generation Network (IP NGN)
• Hot standby PW Support for ATM and TDM Access Circuits: Improves pseudowire resiliency with faster convergence time and support for ATM,TDM, and Ethernet access circuit types with Scale.
• MPLS Encapsulation Support for Inline Video Monitoring: Allows monitoring of real-time quality of video traffic transported by any MPLS-encapsulated packet, with complete support for MPLS Layer 3 VPN, Layer 2 VPN, Virtual Private LAN Services (VPLS), Label Distribution Protocol (LDP), Multicast LDP (MLDP), and Resource Reservation Protocol - Traffic Engineering (RSVP-TE) transport
• mLDP MVPN Extranet: Allows multicast content originating from one site to be distributed to other sites and other VPNs (for example, it lets MVPN-B import content from MVPN-A); MLDP MVPN extranet uses LDP in the core instead of Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM), which is used in MVPN generic routing encapsulation (GRE)
• Service Groups for Subinterfaces and Access Subinterfaces: Improve quality of service (QoS) implementations for business, residential, and wholesale services across N:1 and 1:1 service models to save bandwidth and simplify provisioning
• VPLS InterAS Option B: Allows service providers to interconnect their networks and provide Inter-AS VPLS services; Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) Option B allows secure and operationally efficient deployment of interservice provider Layer 2 VPN services
Cisco IOS Software Release 15.1(1)S includes all the features of Cisco IOS Software Release 15.0(1).
The new Cisco IOS Software Release 15.x(x) numbering uses a simplified approach aligned with consistent feature delivery.
Operational and business benefits of Cisco IOS Software Release 15.1(1)S include:
• Faster Time To Market (TTM): Feature releases every 4 months
• Improved quality: Earlier production-ready releases due to Componentization and hardening of functions in Cisco IOS Software
• Broadened operational consistency of features and advanced technologies
• Predictable schedules for new features and rebuilds
• Proactive communication about software selection, support lifecycle, and migration
Customers can upgrade Cisco 7600 Series Routers from Cisco IOS Software Release 15.0(1)S to Release 15.1(1)S.
Cisco IOS Software Release 15.1(1)S includes the features of Cisco IOS Software Releases 15.0(1) and 12.2(33)SRE, and earlier releases, providing upgrades that reduce impact on existing services.
Cisco Services span each phase of the network lifecycle, provide expertise unique to Cisco, and assist service providers in achieving risk mitigation, lower costs, and accelerated time to market for new services.
The Cisco Lifecycle approach defines the activities needed to promote service excellence at each phase of the network lifecycle: preparation, planning, design, implementation, operation, and optimization. Among the many Cisco Advanced Services offerings, the Cisco Test and Validation Services can be particularly helpful in a transition to Cisco IOS Software Release 15.1(1)S. These services are adapted to the service provider's specific needs. Test engineering expertise and Cisco laboratory environments provide service verification, supporting adherence to end-customer service-level agreements (SLAs). Services include validation of features, scale, and multivendor solutions that result in higher availability, increased capacity, risk mitigation, and shorter deployment cycles.
In addition, Cisco Upgrade and Refresh Services are helpful when moving to a new software release or for any product, technology, or service migration. These services work with the service provider's specific attributes and provide a cost-effective methodology to prepare, plan, design, and implement an IP NGN transition for increased business agility, high availability, security, and subscriber acquisition and retention. Cisco intellectual capital, automation tools, and cumulative migration expertise help make the network transition predictable, with faster adoption of new services.
By using the extensive tools, best practices, and experts offered through Cisco Services, service providers can mitigate risks, bring new services to market faster, lower costs, improve the customer experience through service assurance, and increase the value of their investments. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the forces of Cisco, our highly skilled network of partners, and our customers, Cisco helps service providers achieve outstanding results.