Cisco NSS2000 2-Bay Gigabit Storage System Chassis
Cisco NSS2050 2-Bay Gigabit Storage System Chassis with Two 250-Gigabyte Hard Disk Drives
Cisco NSS2100 2-Bay Gigabit Storage System Chassis with One Terabyte Hard Disk Drives
As small companies move from paper-based processes to digital applications, they become more vulnerable to the huge costs and disruptions that can result from losing vital business information. Small businesses are also challenged to comply with growing regulatory requirements governing the storage of customer information. They need strong data security, advanced encryption capabilities, and tools to control the way users access sensitive data. The common data storage solutions used in many small businesses -- backup disks and flash drives, primitive tape backup systems, or simple hard drives directly attached to employee PCs -- cannot provide the advanced security and control features that today's small businesses require. Such ad hoc storage solutions can also diminish productivity by impeding employees' ability to easily transfer and share files.
Figure 1. Cisco NSS2000 2-Bay Gigabit Storage System Chassis
The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series Network Storage System
The Cisco® Small Business NSS2000 Series Network Storage System provides the robust security and advanced data backup capabilities your business needs, at a price small companies can afford. With support for hundreds of gigabytes of data and up to 15 concurrent users per chassis, the Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series provides the ideal solution for storing, sharing, and archiving your mission-critical business information. And unlike entry-level network-attached storage (NAS) systems, the Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series delivers the advanced backup, encryption, user authentication, and high availability you need to protect your business.
The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series includes the following options:
• The Cisco Small Business NSS2050 2-bay Gigabit chassis, which includes two 250 gigabyte hard disk drives, for a total capacity of 500 gigabytes
• The Cisco Small Business NSS2100 2-bay Gigabit chassis, which includes one terabyte hard drive disks, for a total capacity of 1,000 gigabytes.
All models provide a wealth of features in a desktop-size system designed specifically for small businesses. And both models give you the flexibility to configure the system without any connected drives, to reconfigure it at any time, and to link multiple Cisco NAS devices together, providing a solution that can grow with your business.
You can use the Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series to:
• Automatically back up important information from every PC and server in your business
• Provide centralized storage and sharing of important files
• Employ Continuous Data Protection (CDP) to automatically back up every version of every file saved by employees, allowing you to easily restore data
• Store and archive digital video from your video surveillance system
Features and Benefits
The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series Network Storage System provides:
• Robust reliability: Traditional small business NAS systems require each hard drive to run its own operating system software, making them inherently less stable. The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series integrates the Linux OS that controls the storage system into the chassis itself, ensuring that your business remains protected even if an individual hard drive fails.
• Maximum flexibility: The intelligent Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series chassis gives you the flexibility to configure the system without any connected drives, to reconfigure it at any time, and to link multiple Cisco NAS chassis together, providing a solution that can grow with your business.
• Broad compatibility: The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series supports a variety of data storage schemes (Redundant Array of Independent Disks [RAID0, RAID1], "just a bunch of disks" [JBOD]) and file systems, and allows you to link Windows-based users, Mac users, Unix/Linux users, and FTP clients into a single data storage system, providing a complete storage solution for virtually any business environment.
• Advanced storage capabilities: The device's rich network storage features include support for the Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology (SMART) monitoring system for hard disks, and file journaling across Cisco NAS products, giving you a full suite of tools to create a robust file-sharing and data backup system for your business.
• Strong security: The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series supports a variety of security features to protect your data and help you comply with regulatory standards, including file encryption support, Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) file-based disk encryption, virtual LANs (VLANs), and user authentication and access control.
• Reduced costs: By integrating the operating system into the chassis, instead of into individual hard drives, the solution eliminates the need to purchase and maintain third-party OS licenses, upgrades, or accessories for each hard drive in the system.
• Out-of-the-box compatibility with other business applications: The Cisco Small Business NSS2000 Series is designed to fully integrate with other Cisco Small Business Series products in a single, easy-to-manage network environment. For example, the solution provides the ideal data storage foundation for Cisco Small Business IP video surveillance and CDP applications.
Table 1 gives the specifications for the Cisco Small Business NSS2000, NSS2050, and NSS2100. Table 2 provides hard drive and RAID configurations for the Cisco Small Business Network Storage System. Table 3 provides storage accessory information for the Cisco Small Business Network Storage System. Table 4 provides ordering information for the Cisco Small Business Network Storage System.
Table 1. Cisco NSS2000, NSS2050, and NSS2100 Specifications
NSS2000 2-Bay Gigabit Network Storage System Chassis
NSS2050 2-Bay Gigabit Network Storage System Chassis with two 250-GB HDDs
NSS2100 2-Bay Gigabit Network Storage System chassis with one TB HDD
128 MB synchronous dynamic RAM (SDRAM)
256 MB internal flash memory
60W, 12V external AC power
Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) drive bays
Support for up to 2 internal SATA hard disk drives (HDDs) with hot-swap capability
One 10/100/1000 Mbps auto medium dependent interface (MDI) and MDI crossover
2 AUX ports (supports USB flash disk for configuration backup only)
1 UPS-USB port (APC Smart-UPS only)
Internal thermal temperature sensors for automatic fan control
Power, System Reset/Network Default Settings Restore
Unit Power, LAN Link, System Error, Hard Disk Drive Activity (2), Hard Disk Drive Error (2)
Mean time between failures (MTBF)
Calculated 300,000 hours
16W with no hard disk drives; 31W with two 250-GB SATA hard disk drives
(Power consumption varies depending on the number and type of hard disk drives installed.)
Desktop form factor
3-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and 90-day limited software warranty
NSS2000 System Chassis
(2) 3.5 inch SATA Hard Drive Trays
External Power Adapter with AC power cord
6' Ethernet Cable
CD-Rom with Discovery Tool & User Documentation
Quick Installation Guide
Network Attached Storage Features
Supported RAID levels
RAID0 (striping), RAID1 (mirroring)
Independent disk linear concatenation
Intelligent SATA HDD spin-up/spin-down with built-in hysteresis to avoid HDD power up/down "flapping"
File and Storage System Support
Server Message Blocks (SMB)/Common Internet File System (CIFS)
File sharing for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Unix/Linux (using Samba client) systems using SMB or CIFS
Network File System (NFS)
File sharing for Unix/Linux systems via NFS v3
FTP/Secure FTP (FTPS)
File sharing via FTP. Secure sessions supported via FTP over SSL.
Journaled file system
Unified file locking
Provides common file-locking mechanism that allows simultaneous, multiprotocol access to common shares by Windows/Max (CIFS), Unix/Linux (NFS), and FTP.
Distributed File System (DFS)
Use multiple NAS systems as a single system via DFS
On-disk file encryption (AES 256)
Port and 802.1Q/p
Access control lists (ACLs)
Windows-like ACLs (user, group, access and filters)
MAC/IP address filtering
LAN Network Features
Quality of service (QoS)
Up to 9-KB jumbo frames
Table 2. Hard Drive and RAID configurations for the Cisco Small Business Network Storage System
Hard Drives Included
2x250GB (500GB Total)
1x1000GB (1000GB Total)
Table 3. Storage Accessories for the Cisco Small Business Network Storage System
Spare NAS Drive Tray (No Drive)
Spare NAS Drive Tray, Qty 4
Spare NAS Drive Tray with 250GB Drive
Spare NAS Drive Tray with 500GB Drive
Spare NAS Drive Tray with 1TB Drive
Ordering information for the Cisco Small Business Network Storage System
2-Bay Desktop Gigabit Network Storage System with (2) 250GB Hard Drives preconfigured in RAID1
2-Bay Desktop Gigabit Network Storage System with (1) 1TB Hard Drive
Cisco Small Business Continuous Data Protection: Supports synchronized and scheduled backups that can be customized for high- and low-priority files
Continuous Data Protection for Files 3 user license
Continuous Data Protection for Files 15 user license
Continuous Data Protection for Files 25 user license
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with 3-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty. In addition, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbiz.
When it comes to the technology that keeps your employees, suppliers, and customers securely connected, it has to work. As the leader in networking and communications, Cisco is already helping small businesses around the world work better. And you can rely on us to help your business too.
With Cisco Small Business Solutions, you get the networking and communications technology you need, when and how you need it, so you can get more done in less time. We offer a broad range of small business products, which means that we're ready to be your technology partner -- both today and as you grow.
You'll work with a local business partner who understands your unique needs and can design, install, and maintain a secure, reliable network that you can afford. A network that's backed by Cisco, is customized especially for your needs today, and offers a clear path to tomorrow.
Cisco Small Business Solutions: Technology you can trust to help your business succeed.