Cisco® Unified Communications is a comprehensive IP communications system of voice, video, data, mobility products and applications. It helps enable more effective, more secure, more personal communications that directly affect both sales and profitability. It brings people together by facilitating a new way of communicating-where your business moves with you, security is everywhere, and information is always available, whenever and wherever it is needed. Cisco Unified Communications is part of an integrated solution that includes network infrastructure, security, mobility, network management products, lifecycle services, flexible deployment and outsourced management options, end-user and partner financing packages, and third-party communications applications.
Cisco Monitor Manager 1.1 is a management application designed solely for the needs of small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs). It provides monitoring of key device parameters on Cisco SMB-class routers, switches, voice gateways, Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, Cisco Unity® Express, security appliances, access points, and Cisco Unified IP phones. Cisco Monitor Manager also provides support for the newly introduced Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series for small businesses. It monitors the network 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and periodically polls and collects inventory and performance-monitoring data from the managed Cisco devices in the network. Cisco Monitor Manager is a Microsoft Windows-based application that is completely nondisruptive to system operations and does not deploy any agent software on managed devices.
Cisco Monitor Manager performs automatic discovery of the entire underlying network infrastructure and Cisco Unified Communications System. The application provides a real-time physical view, service-level details, and the current operational status of each element in the Cisco Unified Communications Solution.
Cisco Monitor Manager 1.1 Features and Benefits
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of Cisco Monitor Manager.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
Ease of use and low initial investment
• Specifically designed for SMBs
• Intuitive and easy to use
• Low-cost initial deployment
Cisco Discovery Protocol-based network discovery and complete topology
• Discovers entire data and Cisco Unified Communications voice network
• Rich graphical topology views span multiple customer locations, displaying the total network with unified topologies and interconnections
• Displays network and device-level fault information, device connectivity, and manageability information
Device system parameters configuration
• Provides easy-to-use configuration of basic system parameters; for in-depth data and voice configuration, use Cisco Configuration Assistant
Highly secure and reliable channel to the managed devices
• Uses highly secure and reliable HTTPS and Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) connection to retrieve configuration and monitoring information from managed devices
Networkwide inventory collection and reporting
• Provides complete device-inventory information including card and interface details for all managed devices in the network
• Provides inventory reports that can be used to keep track of devices and cards in the network
Built-in troubleshooting tools
• Facilitates debugging of network issues by providing troubleshooting tools such as traceroute and ping
IP telephony monitoring
• Discovery, inventory, and monitoring of Cisco Unified IP telephony elements
• Provides real-time information about connectivity and registration status of Cisco Unified IP telephony elements
• Raises alerts on Cisco Unified IP telephony elements based on their service status
• Voice mailbox monitoring; keeps track of the size of the mailbox and creates alerts based on the configured threshold limits.
• Monitoring of PSTN trunk and voice port utilization
Performance and interface traffic monitoring
• Collects, stores, and displays important real-time monitoring information with output options of charts and graphs
• Compares monitoring data against user-defined thresholds and generates threshold-crossing alerts to the user
• Monitors interface traffic statistics and displays interface utilization
• Monitors CPU and memory utilization for all managed devices
Real-time alerts and notifications through e-mail and pager
• Sends e-mail or pager messages for notification of possible discovery, syslogs, or monitoring alerts
• Self-managed solution-Cisco Monitor Manager operating as a standalone application and managed onsite by the SMB customer
• VAR-managed solution-Cisco Monitor Manager is the end-user monitoring component of the VAR managed service offerings.
Highly secure and reliable communication
• Uses highly secure and reliable SSL connection to communicate with Cisco Monitor Director
• Configurable Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) port for improved security
• Facilitates backup and restore of startup configuration files
• Network managers can also select the option of saving running configuration files prior to manual or periodic backup
End-of-sale and end-of-life reports
• Provides product end-of-sale and end-of-life reports to predict network upgrade requirements
Syslog-based alerting and reporting
• Collects and stores syslog messages from managed devices
• Generates alerts and reports of syslog messages
Device manager launch point
• Supports the launch of various Cisco device managers such as the Cisco Adaptive Security Device Manager and the Cisco Router and Security Device Manager, Cisco PIX® Device Manager, Smartports, and so on
Persistent storage of monitored data and device credentials for historical reporting with built-in database
• Uses built-in database to store inventory, performance, and syslog data
• Supports the ability to view, report, and analyze historical data
Discovery and monitoring of VPN peers
• Discovers VPN peers across locations
• Monitors status and traffic parameters of VPN tunnels
Cisco Monitor Manager 1.1 will begin shipping on May 29, 2007. Customers can order this new product through normal Cisco sales channels as of April 9, 2007.
Cisco Monitor Manager is offered as a standalone application for SMBs that plan to self-manage their own networks. It includes a perpetual license providing customers with product updates as they become available. There is also available a one-year subscription license upgrade that makes Cisco Monitor Manager a part of the Cisco VAR Managed Services Solution. Cisco Support Services, which include access to Cisco.com, minor software updates, and access to the Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC), require the purchase of a Cisco Software Application Support (SAS) contract. A Cisco SAS contract can be purchased through normal Cisco sales channels. Please contact your local authorized Cisco partner or reseller for more details.
Cisco Monitor Manager is also offered without license keys for conducting 30-day evaluation trials and product demonstrations. At the end of the 30-day period, a license should be purchased to extend the use of each product beyond this timeframe. Please use the product codes in Table 2 for ordering the appropriate package for your needs.
Table 2 lists ordering information for Cisco Monitor Manager 1.1.
Table 2. Ordering Information
Cisco Monitor Manager 1.1 Single SW, STD Perpetual License
Upgrade from Self-Managed Standard Cisco Monitor Manager to Partner Managed Solution
Service and Support
Technical support services are orderable on these products through Cisco Software Application Support (SAS) programs. Service part numbers can be found on Cisco.com online ordering tools and price lists.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco Monitor Manager, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/sbnm or contact your local Cisco account representative.