Cisco® Service Path Analyzer (SPA) is a newly announced Cisco network management product that delivers-through continuous network monitoring-a high-fidelity Layer 3 view of the IP control plane. By listening to routing protocols and related activity, the product reconstructs the state of the network and its service paths, providing a representation of all the Layer 3 components and paths in "network-time." The intelligence delivered by Cisco SPA makes possible a preventive, rather than a reactive, network management capability. Network operators and engineers can pinpoint a variety of persistent and transient problems that are difficult to diagnose-or even invisible-with traditional management techniques and tools.
• Detection and isolation of routing problems not found through conventional tools
• Root-cause determination of service path disruptions
• Comparison of the as-running with the as-configured state to detect misconfiguration issues
• Detailed reports on availability, routing operation, and network stability, which can be summarized on a regular basis and used as the basis for determining overall network operation
• Comprehensive alarms providing real-time notification directly to personnel or to other systems, including changes in link state or metrics, temporary loss of connectivity or redundancy, and their impact on critical services
• Listeners: One rack-mount unit (1U) appliances that host the data collection software of the Cisco SPA platform
• Servers: Two rack-mount unit (2U) appliances with RAID 5 redundancy, dual power-supply units (PSUs) and significant processing power to host the analytics/diagnostic software and database
• Management console: A Java-based thick-client GUI runs as a PC application to communicate with the server appliance and facilitate high-quality display and manipulation of visually rendered data. Multiple management consoles can operate against a single server.
• Announcement/withdrawal of routes
• Improper default route provisioning
• Black-hole routes
• Over-/undersummarization of address space
• Faulty configurations
• Incorrect metric changes
• Route leaking
• Redundancy/equal-cost-multipath failures
• Duplicate IP addressing
• Maximize customer satisfaction by increasing service availability. Cisco SPA reduces the service disruptions and increases the quality of service through its ability to see the network as the network sees itself.
• Cut operating costs by improving productivity of human and network resources. Cisco SPA trims down the cost of day-to-day operations by helping enable staff to pinpoint potential service issues through vastly reduced diagnosis time and predictive root-cause analysis.
• Roll out new services faster by collecting information instrumental in determining network readiness prior to initiation. Cisco SPA provides organizations with data before the actual traffic flows, offering visibility to the stability of the network and whether it will permit the desired service level. Launching new products and services on time and meeting customer expectations can drastically affect your new product revenues and customer loyalty.
• Realize higher productivity from complementary Cisco applications, such as Cisco Info Center, CiscoWorks, and Cisco Active Network Abstraction (ANA), by providing invaluable network intelligence as inputs for these assets.
• Boost return of previous investments by enhancing existing infrastructure and applications. Cisco SPA feeds real-time information to existing fault, performance, and network management solutions, such as Cisco Info Center, IBM Tivoli, HP OpenView, HP TeMIP, EMC Smarts, CA Spectrum, and others. Cisco SPA helps enable these products to meet the challenges and demands of converged networks and real-time applications.
• Achieve rapid return of investment through rapid deployment, ease of use, and low training costs. Off-the-shelf Cisco SPA servers and listeners can be installed swiftly-and will immediately begin providing information about a wide range of IP network sources.
• Protect current investments by offering a highly scalable architecture. The groundbreaking three-tier architecture permits Cisco SPA to grow with the increasing demands of your organization.
Service and Support
For More Information