Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management, based on Cisco Active Network Abstraction (ANA) software, is designed for service providers and large enterprises to efficiently manage their Cisco CRS-1 4-slot, 8-slot, 16-slot and Cisco XR12000 series routers, running Cisco IOS® XR Software.
Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management provides a cost-effective platform for device management based on Cisco ANA. Further, it provides several fixed-price, prepackaged, custom professional services to build network management functions tailored to customers' specific network services offerings and operational needs.
Key Features and Benefits
Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management utilizes Cisco ANA software to provide the features and benefits listed in Table 1.
Table 1. Feature and Benefits of Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management
Complete CRS-1 and XR12K device inventory views covering both physical and logical inventory
Device connectivity discovery
Automatic discovery of device relationships (topology) using Cisco Discovery Protocol and Border Gateway Protocol (BGP)
Device fault collection and forwarding
• Captures and forwards device level alarms to OSS/BSS systems for monitoring at network operations center (NOC) or data center
• Integration to Cisco Information Center and IBM Tivoli/NetCool.
Cisco ANA Warm Standby system facilitates 24-hour-a-day, 7-day-a-week network operations, services management, and business continuity.
• Standard northbound interface (XML) provides single device mediation platform for all Cisco devices running Cisco IOS XR Software.
• Currently supports CRS-1 and XR12K devices running Cisco IOS XR Software.
• Device mediation and northbound Interface will cover additional Cisco device families as they support Cisco IOS XR-based software in future.
• Standard northbound interface reduces OSS/BSS integration complexity.
Uniform device view
Cisco ANA provides a generic view of devices and allows them to perform automated operational tasks using a GUI that reduces network operator training for CRS-1 and XR12K devices and Cisco IOS XR Software.
• Command Builder tool facilitates the automation of frequently used operational tasks, reduces errors, and improves network operations.
• Soft Properties tool facilitates customization of device events and alarms to proactively monitor device health.
• Work Flow Client tool facilitates customization of service activation flow and network operations management.
Distributed and scalable architecture-Device management
• Cisco ANA architecture and Cisco ANA Unit Servers eliminates single point for computation in managing core network consisting of CRS-1 and XR12K devices.
• Cisco ANA architecture allows network operators to expand and effectively manage a core network with low incremental cost as they grow.
Cisco Advanced Services allows Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management deployments to meet network operational needs through involvement in all aspects of planning, design, and implementation activities to better manage CRS-1 and XR12K devices using Cisco ANA.
The following fixed-price, prepackaged, custom implementation services to deploy Cisco ANA are available. Please also see Figure 1 below:
• Baseline Deployment Service (Mandatory)
• High Availability Configuration Service (Mandatory with Cisco ANA Warm Standby)
• Network & Service Activation (Optional)
• Network Threshold Management (Optional)
• Cisco ANA to Cisco Information Center or IBM Tivoli/NetCool Integration Service (Optional)
All custom deployment and implementation services can be delivered by the Cisco Advanced Services led engagement team in a 6- to 12-week timeframe. Table 2 shows the features and benefits of the prepackaged fixed-priced Cisco Advanced Services deployment packages.
Table 2. Features and Benefits of Cisco Advanced Services Deployment Packages
Baseline Deployment Service
• Install, configure, and perform custom setup of Cisco ANA as device management for Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K tailored to your operational needs (for example, management of TRAPs and syslogs, configuration setup based on IT security needs, and so on).
• Set up network discovery, topology, and backup and restore configuration of Cisco CSR-1 and Cisco XR12K devices in your network.
• Complete documentation and transfer of knowledge.
• Covers up to 30 devices and is extendable in 25-device increments for larger core networks based on Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K devices.
High Availability Configuration Service
(Mandatory with ANA Unit Warm Standby-Fixed Price)
Install, configure, and set up ANA Unit Warm Standby system for high availability of Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K device management, to suit your operational environment.
Network & Service Activation Service
Build workflow and service activation through custom-built scripts and custom-built Cisco ANA GUI menus to configure and activate services to suit your network operations needs. Covers only Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K device service configuration and activations.
Network Threshold Management Service
Assess and identify network and service performance thresholds for your service and operational needs, configure threshold alert levels to proactively monitor network and device performance for service and operational assurance. Covers only Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K device threshold assessment and management.
Cisco ANA to Cisco Information Center or IBM Tivoli/NetCool Integration Service
Identify, capture, and forward events from Cisco ANA-based Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K device management to Cisco Info Center and IBM Tivoli/NetCool, acting as a manager of managers or fault console. Covers only Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12K device fault event integration to Cisco Info Center.
Table 3. Cisco Device and Software Support Information*
Cisco IOS-XR® Software Release
Cisco CRS-1 Routers
Cisco CRS-1 16-Slot Single-Shelf System
Cisco CRS-1 8-Slot Single-Shelf System
Cisco CRS-1 4-Slot Single-Shelf System
Cisco IOS XR Software 3.4.1 and later
Cisco XR12K Series Routers
Cisco XR 12416 Router
Cisco XR 12410 Router
Cisco XR 12406 Router
Cisco XR 12016 Router
Cisco XR 12010 Router
Cisco XR 12008 Router
Cisco XR 12006 Router
Cisco IOS XR Software 3.4.1 and later
Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management, based on Cisco Active Network Abstraction 3.5.2 software is currently shipping as of March 29, 2007. Customers can order the Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management package using Cisco ANA 3.5.2 software and Cisco Advanced Services fixed-price with prepackaged deployment services through normal Cisco sales channels as of March 29, 2007.
For simplicity and ease of deployment, Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management is offered as a packaged solution that includes all necessary Cisco ANA software components and mandatory Cisco Advanced Services deployment for optimal operational setup. The packaged solution includes a perpetual license bundle of Cisco ANA software components to manage Cisco CRS-1 and Cisco XR12000 router family. Note that ordering for Cisco CRS-1/IOS-XR Device Management is based on the current Cisco ANA Software pricing framework and can be extended to manage other Cisco router devices in future for low incremental cost.