Q. What is Cisco® Mobile Wireless Transport Manager 5.0?
A. Cisco Mobile Wireless Transport Manager (MWTM) network management software provides monitoring and management capabilities for the Cisco Radio Access Network (RAN) Optimization Solution. Cisco MWTM easily integrates with existing Cisco Systems® network management products such as CiscoWorks LAN Management Solution and Cisco Info Center, as well as third-party network management products such as HP OpenView and MicroMuse NetCool to provide a complete set of monitoring and management tools for the entire Cisco optimized RAN. For more information on the Cisco RAN Optimization Solution, please visit: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns341/ns396/ns177/ns329/networking_solutions_solution.html.
Q. What are the essential features and benefits of Cisco MWTM 5.0?
A. Table 1 lists the essential features and benefits.
Table 1. Cisco Mobile Wireless Transport Manager Features and Benefits
• Performs real-time updates of any system changes like inventory, events, and performance counters
Real-time event monitoring
• Allows the operator to view events from the Cisco optimized RAN immediately
• Greatly reduces time-to-resolution (TTR) by quickly identifying and resolving events
• Improves network serviceability by allowing operators to proactively assess the Cisco RAN readiness and general health
• Enables easier network problem identification and troubleshooting
OSS alarm integration
• Increases productivity
• Eliminates out-of-sync environments between upstream systems and Cisco MWTM
• Networkwide understanding of the current state of the Cisco optimized RAN
Automatic device inventory
• Accelerates time to service by eliminating the need for operators to manually enter the Cisco network inventory list
• Reduces complexity because Cisco MWTM abstracts the specifics of each Cisco network element version (for example, SNMP and CLI semantics)
Web-based historical performance reporting
• Facilitates capacity planning
• Offers industry-standard HTML access
• Provides detailed physical and logical connection overview of the Cisco RAN optimized network
• Displays end-to-end events represented in topology, allowing quick identification of problems between multiple network elements
• Facilitates troubleshooting by helping to easily identify relationships between Cisco network elements
System security and user account management
• Increases system security to restrict and protect certain potentially disruptive Cisco MWTM features to the network or to the application itself
• Helps maintain system integrity by preventing accidental or malicious operations from unauthorized users
Q. What equipment is managed by Cisco MWTM 5.0?
A. Cisco MWTM supports the following Cisco RAN Optimization routers and software releases (Table 2):
Table 2. Managed Devices
Supported Device (Part Number)
Cisco IOS® Software Release
Cisco Mobile Wireless Edge Router
12.4(2) MR and later
Q. Where can I find additional information about Cisco MWTM 5.0?
Q. What platforms support Cisco Mobile Transport Manager 5.0?
A. Sun Solaris 8 and 9 and AMD64 Linux servers support Cisco MWTM 5.0 (Table 3).
Q. What are the system requirements for Cisco MWTM 5.0?
A. Tables 3 and 4 list the system requirements for the server and client.
Table 3. Sun Server System Requirements
Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3.0
AMD Operton Model 244
Sun Solaris 8 and 9
650-MHz UltraSPARC IIi
Table 4. Client Requirements
Windows 2000 and XP
500-MHz Pentium III
Sun Solaris 8 and 9
650-MHz UltraSPARC IIi
Q. Does Cisco MWTM integrate with any upstream or northbound OSS applications?
A. Yes, Cisco MWTM integrates with applications such HP OpenView, MicroMuse NetCool, and Cisco Info Center using Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) and ASCII-based file access.
Ordering and Fulfillment Information
Q. How do I order Cisco Mobile Wireless Transport Manager 5.0?
A. Cisco MWTM 5.0 is available for purchase through regular Cisco sales and distribution channels worldwide. To place an order, visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page.
Q. Are software support contracts available and how are they ordered?
A. Yes. You can purchase a one (1)-year Software Application Support (SAS) contract that provides Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC) support, access to software maintenance patches on Cisco.com Software Center, and Cisco MWTM minor update releases.