Cisco Systems is pleased to introduce the Enhanced Application-Oriented Networking (AON) Module for Cisco 2800/3700/3800 Series Access Routers. It is part of a new class of products from Cisco Systems® that provide an essential point of convergence between today's intelligent networks and applications based on highly distributed, service-oriented and traditional architectures. Cisco AON technology embeds a new class of application intelligence into the network to better meet the underlying needs of applications for real-time visibility, security, event-based messaging, optimized delivery, and other core integration and deployment services.
The Cisco 2800/3700/3800 series of modular access routers (Figure 2) enable significantly higher levels of application and service integration at branch offices. They extend enterprise/provider-class versatility, integration, and power to branch offices.
Figure 1.Cisco AON Enhanced Network Module for ISR Routers
The new Cisco AON Enhanced Network Module for Cisco ISR Access Routers (NME-AON-K9=) offers several hardware and software feature enhancements optimized to provide a high performance, feature-rich compact and cost-effective solution for small and mid-size branch office.
• Higher performance and compact form factor: significant architectural and O/S enhancements enable the Cisco AON Enhanced Network Module for Cisco Access routers to offer more than twice the performance of its predecessor across its feature breadth.
• The Cisco AON Enhanced Network Module offers double the on-board memory (increasing the default to 1GB) doubling the maximum file size enabling improved ROI and better price/performance.
In addition, the Cisco AON Enhanced Network Module for Access Routers continues to offer the rich feature set, integrated management and extensibility capabilities consistent with existing AON form factors.
• Rich feature breadth and multiprotocol/standards support consistent with existing Cisco AON module available on Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series switches and the stand-alone Cisco AON 8300 Series Appliance. Cisco AON technology can be adapted to simplify connectivity to different types of enterprise applications with highly distributed deployments while enforcing business policies.
• Extensibility through its included set of APIs that allow customization of adapters and ladelets to extend existing functions to better meet individual requirements.
• Transparent integration and management as part of existing infrastructure. Message-level policy design and enforcement is facilitated by the Cisco AON Management Console (AMC) and Cisco AON Development Studio (ADS).
• Integrated support services to provide high-quality, reliable implementation.
Rich feature set, high performance, extensibility and integrated management make the Cisco AON Enhanced Network Module well suited for custom applications and solutions such as:
• AON Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) Solution: Cisco AON offers the only RFID solution available today that integrates RFID management and data distribution directly into the existing Cisco network hardware and software infrastructure. The Cisco AON RFID Solution is EPCglobal standards compliant and offers increased Flexibility in Capturing, Filtering, Aggregating, Transforming, Securing, and Routing RFID Events.
• AON Financial Services Monitoring Solution (FSMS): Cisco AON FSMS solution offers monitoring of transport & application message latency providing improved visibility of trading performance. Cisco AON operates in a promiscuous mode while integrating into existing infrastructure. In conjunction with a third party software (with verified interoperability), AON FSMS solution models real-time TCP connections, FIX and RDF (coming soon) transactions derive key performance indicators for alerts and time-series reporting.
Cisco AON state-of-the-art design incorporates hardware and software components pre-integrated into a complete subsystem that can be flexibly deployed in enterprise data centers, service provider networks, or other scenarios as an embedded network function. Included with the Cisco AON network module are software tools for managing and provisioning Cisco AON nodes, as well as for esigning application policies using a library of "bladelets," which can be configured in different sequences as required. The Cisco AON network module also includes a software development kit and API for flexible extension to any custom environment, operation, or format.
The new Cisco AON enhanced network module provides improved operational consistency and educes total cost of ownership by consolidating elements of network and application infrastructures and providing centralized management.
Figure 2. Cisco 3800 Series Router
Tables 1 and 2 provide product specifications and part numbers for ordering.
Table 1. Product Specifications for Enhanced Application-Oriented Networking Module for Cisco ISR Series Routers (NME-AON-K9=)
Single processor; onboard RAM (1GB) and hard disk drive (40 GB)
Embedded Cisco AON Software v2.2
Single network module slot in Cisco ISR 2800/3700/3800 series routers
Multiple modules may be deployed in the same chassis and managed as a single "virtual cluster"
Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.4(9)T or later in the router
(HxWxD) 1.55 x 7.10 x 7.2 inches (3.9 x 18.0 x 18.3 centimeters)
Approvals and Compliance
• Safety: UL 1950; CSA-C22.2 No. 950; EN 60950; and IEC 60950
• EMC: FCC Part 15 Class A; EN55022 Class B; AS/NZS 3548 Class A; CISPR22 Class B
• VCCI Class B; EN55024; EN61000-3-2; and EN61000-3-3
• Operating Temperature: 41 to 104°F (5 to 40°C); Non-operating Temperature: 40 to 185°F (40 to 85°C)
Cisco 2800/3700/3800 Series Enhanced Network Module
AON Software v 2.2 for Cisco ISR 2800/3800 and Cisco 3700 Series Enhanced Network Module
Note: The management components, Cisco AON Management Console and Cisco ON evelopment Studio, can be downloaded from the Cisco Software Center
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services to accelerate customer success. These innovative services are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in highly satisfied customers. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business.
Cisco AON products are bundled with Cisco Advanced Services, which will accelerate your time to eployment and ensure a quality, reliable implementation. For more information about bundled services, see Cisco AON Bundled Services. For more information about Cisco Services, see Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco Advanced Services.