The Cisco uBR7225VXR E-28U and E-16U Broadband Processing Engines (BPEs), part numbers UBR-E-28U and UBR-E-16U, bring new choices and capabilities to the Cisco uBR7225VXR Universal Broadband Router. Advanced features and a scalable architecture make these line cards the right choice for cable operators delivering carrier-class IP-based data, voice, and video services to a growing number of subscribers. These BPEs offer greater flexibility and robustness to the Cisco uBR7225VXR communications-grade CMTS.
Figure 1 depicts the Cisco uBR7225VXR E-28U Broadband Processing Engine
The new BPEs can coexist in the Cisco uBR7225VXR chassis with earlier Cisco uBR7200 Series MC16U and MC28U line cards should you choose to reuse these line cards in the Cisco uBR7225VXR.
Note: The new Cisco uBR7225VXR E-28U and E-16U BPEs (part numbers UBR-E-28U and UBR-E-16U) are compatible with the uBR7225VXR only and are not compatible with the Cisco uBR7246VXR. This compatibility function is enabled through both mechanical keying methodology and software locks to prevent insertion of these cards into any other chassis.
Features and Benefits
With their flexible, all-inclusive product design, the Cisco uBR7225VXR E-28U and E-16U BPEs (part numbers UBR-E-28U and UBR-E-16U) offer:
• An advanced physical layer (PHY) to provide ingress noise cancellation
• An onboard processor for improved performance to support additional subscribers and services
• Integrated upconverters for Cisco uBR7200 Series uBR-E-28U and uBR-E-16U (part numbers UBR-E-28U and UBR-E-16U) line cards
• Flexible software Media Access Control (MAC) domain configuration or virtual interfaces
• Reduced cable wiring through frequency stacking
• DOCSIS®, European DOCSIS (Euro-DOCSIS), and J-DOCSIS compliance on one line card
• Integrated upconverters: depending on the specific model, one or two downstream modulators and eight or six upstream burst receivers on a single line card
• Patented Cisco technology determines carrier-to-noise ratio (CNR) values for selected upstream channels
• Meet or exceed DOCSIS specifications of 35 dB for downstream CNR and 25 dB for upstream operation
The Cisco uBR7225VXR E-28U and E-16U BPEs (part numbers UBR-E-28U and UBR-E-16U) address the expanding service and operational needs of cable operators. They provide the following benefits:
• Low-priced entry-level cable line card makes efficient use of capital expenditures, while maintaining modularity for capacity growth
• Provides up to 16 upstream and 4 downstream ports in a 2-rack-unit form factor
• Support of DOCSIS, Euro-DOCSIS 2.0, and PacketCable 1.1 technology helps return on investment for converged services and speeds deployment of advanced IP services
• Provides DOCSIS, Euro-DOCSIS, and J-DOCSIS support on one line card for operational savings and lower capital expenditure
About the Cisco uBR7225VXR Universal Broadband Router
The Cisco uBR7225VXR Universal Broadband Router is an inexpensive, mid-level entry CMTS for cable operators that require a higher capacity platform than the Cisco uBR7100 Series, but do not require the larger form factor or capacity of the Cisco uBR7246VXR or uBR10012. The Cisco uBR7225VXR is based on open standards and brings the power and proven reliability of the Cisco uBR7246VXR within reach of all cable operators.
The Cisco uBR7225VXR delivers a feature-rich CMTS for emerging markets and Tier 2 and Tier 3 cable networks evolving to an IP Next-Generation Network infrastructure that supports the deployment of revenue-generating services. This product offers cable operators, multiunit businesses, and ISPs a superior and cost-effective platform for the delivery of high-speed data, voice, and video services. This new CMTS platform requires exceptionally low capital investment and minimal setup time, and it supports up to 5000 subscribers.
The Cisco uBR7225VXR offers feature-rich software. Cisco IOS® Software provides end-to-end Internet connectivity and includes options to help ensure highly secure communications over the cable and IP network.
Table 1. Features and Benefits Summary
High port density
• Reduces per-port cost
• Maximizes plant capacity (frequency reuse)
Advanced RF front end that includes technology patented by Cisco
Optimizes RF performance and robustness
Onboard spectrum analyzer hardware
• Reduces return-path monitoring costs
• Enhances remote troubleshooting capabilities
Dedicated MAC layer hardware
• Provides hardware acceleration of DOCSIS 1.1 features
• Enables scalability of data and voice deployment
• Optimizes cable modem registration time
• Provides hardware-based Layer 2 QoS
• Allows use of advanced PHY
DOCSIS, Euro-DOCSIS, and J-DOCSIS support on one line card
The Cisco uBR7225VXR must contain a uBR7200-NPE-G1 processor with at least 256 MB of DRAM. If the Cisco uBR7225VXR contains more than one BPE, Cisco recommends installing either 512 MB or 1 GB of DRAM on the uBR7200-NPE-G1 to ensure best performance.
Using the Cisco Lifecycle Services approach, Cisco and its partners provide a broad portfolio of end-to-end services and support that can help increase your network's business value and return on investment. This approach defines the minimum set of activities needed, by technology and by network complexity, to help you successfully deploy and operate Cisco technologies and optimize their performance throughout the lifecycle of your network.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco uBR7225VXR E-16U and E-28U BPEs (part numbers UBR-E-28U and UBR-E-16U), please contact your local Cisco account representative.