Cisco Systems® is pleased to announce Cisco IOS® Software for the new Cisco® Catalyst® Express 500 Series switches, which provide smart, simple, and secure networking for customers with up to 250 employees. This new series of Layer 2-managed Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet switches offers nonblocking, wire-speed performance, which provides a secure network foundation optimized for data, wireless, and IP communications.
Table 1 describes the four product models in this series.
Table 1. Product Descriptions
Product Name (Part Number)
Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24TT (WS-CE500-24TT)
• Twenty-four 10/100 ports for desktop connectivity
• Two 10/100/1000BASE-T ports for uplink or server connectivity
Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24LC (WS-CE500-24LC)
• Twenty 10/100 ports for desktop connectivity
• Four 10/100 Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) ports for desktop, wireless access point, IP telephony, or closed-circuit TV camera connectivity
• Two 10/100/1000BASE-T or Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) ports for uplink or server connectivity
Cisco Catalyst Express 500-24PC (WS-CE500-24PC)
• Twenty-four 10/100 PoE ports for desktop, wireless, IP telephony, or closed-circuit TV camera connectivity
• Two 10/100/1000BASE-T or SFP ports for uplink or server connectivity
Cisco Catalyst Express 500G-12TC (WS-CE500G-12TC)
• Eight 10/100/1000BASE-T and four 10/100/1000BASE-T or SFP ports for switch aggregation or server connectivity
This product bulletin provides content and delivery information about Cisco IOS Software release 12.2(25)FY, which is the first Cisco IOS Software release that provides support for the Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Series switches. Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(25)FY is an Early Deployment release, based on Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(25)SEB.
FEATURES IN CISCO IOS SOFTWARE RELEASE 12.2(25)FY
The Catalyst Express 500 Series switches are manageable through the GUI Device Manager or Cisco Network Assistant. Table 2 lists the features supported in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(25)FY, and Table 3 lists product specifications.
Table 2. Key Features
Smartports (Preset Cisco Recommended Network Enhancements, QoS, and Security)
The port is configured for optimal desktop performance.
IP Phone and Desktop
Voice traffic is prioritized to help ensure clear voice conversation.
The port is configured for optimal connection to a router or firewall for WAN connectivity.
The port is configured as an uplink port to a backbone switch for fast convergence.
The port is configured for optimal connection to a wireless access point.
Servers can be prioritized as trusted, critical, business, or standard.
The port is optimized so that printer traffic does not affect mission-critical and voice traffic.
Guests are allowed access to the Internet, but not to the company network.
Customers can connect diagnostics devices to monitor traffic on other switches (configurable through Cisco Network Assistant only).
Customers can configure the VLAN.
Three security levels: low, medium, and high (configurable through Cisco Network Assistant only)
• Low-For business environments where there is limited guest access
• Medium-For business environments where security is important; only authorized devices are allowed on the company network
• High-For business environments where security is critical; only authorized devices and authenticated users are allowed on the company network
High-bandwidth video traffic is optimized so that it does not impact other applications on the network.
Table 3. Product Specifications
IEEE 802.1d Spanning Tree Protocol
IEEE 802.1p Class of service (CoS) classification
IEEE 802.1q VLAN
IEEE 802.1w Rapid Convergence Spanning Tree Protocol
IEEE 802.1x Port Access Authentication
IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)
IEEE 802.3af Power over Ethernet
IEEE 802.3x full duplex on 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T ports
IEEE 802.3 10BASE-T
IEEE 802.3u 100BASE-T
IEEE 802.3ab 1000BASE-T
IEEE 802.3z 1000BASE-X
IGMP (v1, v2, and v3) snooping
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Management (For Monitoring Only)
RFC1213-MIB (MIB II)
RMON-MIB (statistics, history, alarms, and events groups only)
Software Download-Software Available September 2005
To download the Cisco Catalyst Express 500 Series Software, please click on Launch the IOS Upgrade Planner at:
Figure 1 displays Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(25)FY functionality relative to the 12.2 and 12.2S releases. This diagram also identifies the recommended migration path to Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(25)SEE. Note that Release 12.2(25)FY is a special one-time "X" release with no planned maintenance releases. Thus, bugs that would have otherwise been fixed in a maintenance release will be fixed in the 12.2S train and will be available in the 12.2(25)SEE release or later releases. For more information about the Cisco IOS Software release process, refer to Product Bulletin No. 537.