Cisco® announces Cisco IOS® Software updates for Cisco Catalyst® 3750 Metro, ME 3400, and ME 2400 Series Switches. This release furthers Cisco leadership by providing Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Traffic Engineering and Fast Reroute, enhanced routing, resiliency, and manageability features for Metro Ethernet deployments.
• MPLS Traffic Engineering (TE) and Fast Reroute (FRR): Allow service providers to increase the network reliability and availability. The feature guarantees fast recovery after a link or node failure in the MPLS network. FRR protects from link and node failures by locally repairing the label switched path (LSP) at the point of failure, rerouting all LSP traffic crossing a failed link over backup tunnels that bypass the failed link or node..
• Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Port-Based Allocation: Enhances network management by allowing the Cisco IOS Software DHCP server to always offer the same IP address to the device connected to a given switch port. Any new device connecting or old device reconnecting to the port will be allocated the same IP address.
• Resilient Ethernet Protocol (REP) configurable LSL (Link Status Layer) timeout: Allows user to adjust REP's age-out timer and reduce failure detection time in case of loss of signal (LOS).
• REP clear counter enhancement: Allows service providers to optimize the manageability and troubleshooting of REP networks by resetting REP statistics counters when needed.
• Hot Standby Routing Protocol (HSRP) v2: Provides subsecond failover to backup routes and improves manageability and troubleshooting beyond what is possible with HSRP v1.
• Digital Optical Monitoring (DOM) Support for SX and LX Small Form-Factor Pluggables (SFPs).
Table 1. Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(46)SE New Features for Metro Ethernet Switches
* Requires SFPs with DOM support.
Table 2. Cisco Catalyst Metro Ethernet Switches Supported with Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(46)SE
• Cisco IOS Software upgrade planner: http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/Software/Iosplanner/Planner-tool/iosplanner.cgi?majorRel=.
• Guest-level access planner: http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/index.shtml.
• Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro Series Switches: http://www.cisco.com/go/catalyst3750metro
• Cisco ME 3400 Series Switches: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6580/index.html
• Cisco ME 2400 Series Switches: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6581/index.html
• Cisco Catalyst 3750 Metro and ME 3400/2400 Series release notes:
Software Image Migration Guide
Figure 1. Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2 Release Train