A dark secret of investing in technology is the substantial cost of not providing adequate technical support.
You may increase productivity and profits at your business simply by adopting a new strategy for network maintenance and troubleshooting.
Three small businesses share how they get technical support that brings them peace of mind at an affordable price:
Start locally, and have backup globally. Many companies contract two outside layers of support: a nearby technology partner (such as
a reseller) with hands-on expertise, backed up by the global resources of their technology vendor.
- “A quick calculation will show you what you can afford for a service contract that prevents or reduces the risk of business downtime; at our company just one or two hours of lost business is a huge sum,” says Justin Mak, the solo IT employee at a 100-employee business. A network administrator with CCNA® training, Mak uses Cisco® support services whenever an issue exceeds his ability or availability. He also relies on a local Cisco® Certified Partner whenever he wants onsite support.
- “I am not an IT guy, and our two offices are in a rural area,” says Dr. Kris May, owner of a business with 14 employees. “A reseller installed our advanced phone system and backed it up with a Cisco service contract. Our network and IP phones are the lifeblood of our business, but the technology is witchcraft to me. Cisco is exceptional—they are very small business oriented, understand our issues, and pay attention to us. In tech support, the biggest issue is ‘being there.’ Even after our reseller went out of business, Cisco continues to back us up. It is very comforting.”
- “We have to have around-the-clock support because we’re in the medical industry, serving hospitals and labs,” says Adrian Biesecker, president of a 135-employee business; it has four IT employees. “By contracting with Cisco and a Cisco Certified Partner, we have all-encompassing support. It works really well.”
Draw from a wealth of expertise. Vendors offer extensive knowledge on specific technologies, and can deliver it in a variety of ways.
- Go online to immediately get input on or learn more about your issue. For example, visit the new Cisco Small Business Community to collaborate with other Cisco customers, technology partners, and Cisco technical experts, as well as to find document, video, and software resources.
- Call the contact centre, such as the Cisco Small Business Support Centre to report your issue and speak with technical experts. “Cisco call center support excels in the high level of expertise and the good follow-up,” says Mak.
Expect the unexpected. What will you do if any of your equipment suddenly stops working?
“Many vendors offer ‘next-day’ replacement,” says Mak “It is easy to promise, though often not done, especially if the failure occurs late in the day. But I called on a Thursday afternoon to report that the touch screen on one of our IP phones stopped working, and a replacement—with clear instructions—arrived from Cisco first thing the next morning.”
Keep software current. “It is important—especially for compatibility and security—to have software that is up to
date,” says Mak. “Make sure that you know whenever there is a software release, and that you download the correct version for your device.”
The Cisco Small Business Pro Service provides software upgrades, updates, and patches, helping ensure that your devices always have the latest and most bug-free software available.
Start a relationship on day one. Your technology partner can ensure that your new devices are correctly configured, so you can immediately
begin realising the benefits of your network solution. Purchasing a vendor service contract protects against future troubles and downtime.
“I think of a tech support contract as an insurance policy,” says Biesecker. “It protects our investment, and our business, 100 percent of the time. It makes using advanced technologies simple. The support is there whenever we need it, and it saves our staff time because it is so easy to use.”
Watch a three-minute video to see how a Cisco Small Business Pro Service contract can help your business.
Ask your Cisco Certified Partner what Cisco Small Business Pro Service is available for your Cisco device(s); find a technology partner in your area.