Extend Industrial Internet of Things (IoT)
Our LoRaWAN™ solution enhances battery-powered asset connectivity into a wide-area network. (PDF - 940 KB)
Connecting the Unconnected
Low-Power Wide Area (LPWA) – Emerging Cellular Technology for M2M Communications
Low-power wide area (LPWA) is long-range wireless technology applicable to both private and public Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructure. It is used to connect a range of devices with low data rates and long battery lives that operate unattended for extended periods of time.
LPWA is an emerging sector of the IoT, and represents a significant market opportunity as the IoT scales. With its addition to mobile network operators’ infrastructure, LPWA can securely connect every corner of cities.
Support New IoT services
As one of the technologies inside the LPWA landscape, running on unlicensed spectrum, LoRaWAN™ can enable new services related to the IoT and smart cites. Cisco -LoRaWAN's® primary advantage is that it can address a massive IoT market segment where existing cellular and Wi-Fi technologies have challenges.
As a new technology for battery-powered sensors connectivity, its backend infrastructure is simple. The open specifications, certification program, and fast growing eco-system make it and industry-leading technology. Pilots and deployments are already being done in smart parking, water and gas metering, and asset tracking.
Industry-Leading IoT Platforms to Include LPWA Access
Our LoRaWAN™ solution addresses opportunities and challenges in LPWA sensor networks through the Cisco LoRaWAN™ gateway. This gateway extends existing functionality of Cisco 809 and 829 Industrial Integrated Services Routers (ISR)with a ruggedized interface.
The Cisco LoRaWAN™ solution offers customers a fully integrated and functional architecture that supports both service providers and industrial vertical customers.
The LoRaWAN™ solution provides the following key capabilities:
- An external long-range radio modem interface for Cisco 809 and 829 Industrial Integrated Services Routers (ISR) to act as long-range gateways
- Carrier-class, long-range gateway with rich IP features
- Enhanced radio design for noise isolation to a neighboring LTE band
- Support for all classes of LoRaWAN™ devices
- Provisioning and operational management supported by Cisco IoT Field Network Director 3.x
It includes Cisco IOS Software Release 15.6(3)M support for multi-long-range modem interfaces and is fully integrated with the Actility Thingpark LoRa® Network Server.
Use Cases and Applications
The solution can be deployed for a wide range of vertical industry use cases, including:
- Asset tracking and management
- Smart cities
- Digital ceilings
- Addresses many markets, including service providers, the public sector, and smart cities
- Provides an open architecture for ecosystem partners
- Includes rich Cisco IOS Software features, including routing and security
- Offers IP backhaul options for Ethernet, 3G, 4G/LTE, and Wi-Fi
- Offers engineering cost saving
- Lowers operational expense through a zero-touch deployment platform
The LoRa® name and associated logo are trademarks of Semtech Corporation or its subsidiaries. Semtech, the Semtech logo and LoRa® are registered trademarks of Semtech Corporation. LoRaWAN™ is a trademark of Semtech Corporation.
Better Secure Your Business
Increase security and compliance with the Cisco IoT System.
A Toolmaker Transforms Operations
See how Stanley Black & Decker raises productivity with the IoT.Watch Video